Super Node Analysis: Find V1,V2,V3,I1,I2,I3

In summary, the conversation is about finding the voltages (V1, V2, V3) and currents (I1, I2, I3) in a circuit using the equations for analysis at a super node and at V2. After correcting an error in the super node equation, the equations for V2 and V1 are 6V1 - 3V2 = -160 and -3V1 + 5V2 = 80. When solved, V2 is equal to zero and V1 is equal to -26.7, which is a valid value.
jdawg

Homework Statement

Find V1,V2,V3,I1,I2,I3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Analysis at super node:
V3-V1=40 (equation 1)

(V1/40)+(V1-V2/40)+(V3-V2/20)=0
2V1 - 3V2 +2V3 = 0
After substituting in equation 1:
4V1-3V2 = -80

Analysis at V2

(V1-V1/40)+(V2/20)+(V2-V3/20)=0
After substituting in equation 1:
-3V1+5V2 = 80

But I think I'm doing something wrong, I don't feel like the voltages should be zero...

Attachments

• scan0001.pdf
    251.7 KB · Views: 181
Physics news on Phys.org
For your supernode equation, you left out the term for the 20 Ω resistor between V3 and the reference node.

Fig1.png

Oh ok, I fixed that part and now I have these equations:

6V1-3V2=-160 and -3V1+5V2=80

When I solve for V2, I get zero. And for V1 I get -26.7. Is it ok for one of the voltages to be zero?

jdawg said:
Oh ok, I fixed that part and now I have these equations:

6V1-3V2=-160 and -3V1+5V2=80

When I solve for V2, I get zero. And for V1 I get -26.7. Is it ok for one of the voltages to be zero?
I question the sign of your V1. Since it's directly connected to the + terminal of the only voltage source I would expect it to have a positive potential. Check your math.

Zero is a perfectly good value for a potential for V2. In fact, it looks correct to me :smile:

Likes jdawg
Thanks so much! :)

1. What is Super Node Analysis?

Super Node Analysis is a circuit analysis technique used to find the voltage and current values at specific nodes in a circuit. It is commonly used in electronic circuit design and analysis.

2. How does Super Node Analysis work?

In Super Node Analysis, a "super node" is created by combining two or more nodes in a circuit. This allows us to simplify the circuit and use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) and Ohm's Law to find the voltage and current values at the desired nodes.

3. When should Super Node Analysis be used?

Super Node Analysis is typically used when there are voltage sources connected between two non-reference nodes in a circuit. It is also useful when there are multiple voltage sources in a circuit, as it allows for easier analysis of the circuit.

4. What are the advantages of using Super Node Analysis?

Super Node Analysis allows for a simplified and more efficient analysis of complex circuits with multiple voltage sources. It also eliminates the need for creating and solving multiple equations, making it a faster method for circuit analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to Super Node Analysis?

Super Node Analysis can only be used for circuits with multiple voltage sources. It also assumes that the super node has no current flowing through it, which may not always be the case. Additionally, this technique may not be suitable for circuits with non-linear elements.