Solving Ratio & Proportion | Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium Removal

• Thread starter xbebegirlx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the amount of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium (N, P, and K) removed by a yield of 135 bu of corn per acre based on the fact that 100 bu of corn removes 90 lb of N, P, and K. It is determined that the ratio of 100 bu of corn to 90 lb of fertilizer is the same as the ratio of 135 bu of corn to X lb of fertilizer, leading to the equation 100/90 = 135/X. After cross multiplying, the solution is found to be X = 121.5 lb. However, the conversation also discusses the difference between the units of measurement, bushels and pounds.
xbebegirlx
If 100 bu of corn per acre remove 90lb of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium (N, P, and K, respectively), how many pounds of N, P, and K are removed by the yield of 135u per acre?

I try to figure out how to starting to solve this problem but don't know how

some help please

Physics news on Phys.org
This is hardly a "Calculus and Beyond" problem. A better place would be the Precalculus section.

Wouldn't the ratio of 100 bu of corn to 90 lb N, P, and K be the same as the ratio of 135 lb corn to X lb of N, P, and K?

Start with that.

I am still confuse don't know how to start, the bu and lb are same thing?

No, they're not. bu stands for bushel, a unit of volume, and lb stands for "pound", a unit of weight.

Start by translating this sentence into an equation: Wouldn't the ratio of 100 bu of corn to 90 lb of fertilizer be the same as the ratio of 135 lb corn to X lb of fertilizer?

ok here I got 100bu/90lb=135bu/xlb
then I cross multiply
90*135 = 12150/100
= 121.5lb
please advise me see if this is right

thanks

xbebegirlx said:
ok here I got 100bu/90lb=135bu/xlb
Yes.
xbebegirlx said:
then I cross multiply
90*135 = 12150/100
= 121.5lb
Where did x go? You started with an equation with x, and you should end up with an equation that has x = ...
xbebegirlx said:
please advise me see if this is right

thanks

Related to Solving Ratio & Proportion | Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium Removal

What is the purpose of solving ratio and proportion in relation to nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium removal?

The purpose of solving ratio and proportion in relation to nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium removal is to determine the optimal ratio and proportion of these nutrients in a particular system in order to effectively remove excess amounts and maintain a healthy balance for plant growth.

How is ratio and proportion used in the process of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium removal?

Ratio and proportion are used in the process of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium removal to calculate the amount of each nutrient needed and the appropriate ratio for optimal removal. This ensures that the removal process is efficient and effective.

What factors can affect the ratio and proportion of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium in a system?

The ratio and proportion of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium in a system can be affected by various factors such as the type and amount of plants present, the type of soil or medium, and the source of the nutrients (i.e. fertilizer, organic matter, etc.). Other environmental factors such as temperature, pH, and water availability can also impact the balance of these nutrients.

How do you determine the appropriate ratio and proportion of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium for a specific system?

The appropriate ratio and proportion of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium for a specific system can be determined through soil and water testing, as well as considering the specific needs of the plants in the system. This information can then be used to calculate the ideal balance of these nutrients for optimal removal.

What are the potential consequences of an imbalanced ratio and proportion of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium in a system?

An imbalanced ratio and proportion of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium in a system can lead to nutrient deficiencies or excess, which can negatively impact plant growth and overall system health. This can also lead to eutrophication, or the over-enrichment of nutrients in a body of water, which can cause harmful algal blooms and other negative environmental effects.