Solving second order PDE by separation of variables (getting 2 ODE's)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a second order nonlinear PDE for V(x,\sigma,t) in the context of a thesis. The equation involves a variable coefficient and is subject to certain boundary conditions and a terminal condition. Various methods, such as separation of variables and power series solutions, are attempted but the conversation ultimately gets stuck at finding a recurrence relation for the coefficients and determining the boundary conditions.
mathy_girl
Hi all,

For my thesis I would like to solve the following second order nonlinear PDE for [tex]V(x,\sigma,t)[/tex]:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\sigma^2\frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial x^2}+\frac{1}{2}B^2\frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial \sigma^2}+a\frac{\partial V}{\partial \sigma}=0,[/tex]

subject to the following boundary conditions:
[tex]V(x,0,t)=\epsilon^{3/2}K \max(x,0)e^{-r(T-t)}[/tex] and
[tex]V(x,\infty,t)=K (1+\epsilon^{3/2}x)[/tex]

and with terminal condition
[tex]
V(x,\sigma,T)=\epsilon^{3/2} K \max(x,0).
[/tex]

I've tried separation of variables, by writing [tex]V=X(x)Y(\sigma)[/tex]
which gives 2 ODEs
[tex]X''(x)=kX(x)[/tex] (which is nicely solvable) and
[tex]B^2Y''(\sigma)+2aY'(\sigma)+k\sigma^2Y(\sigma)=0[/tex], which is quite difficult, because it's still nonlinear.

Can anyone help me solve this? I don't know if this is the right way to do it, so other suggestions are also welcome!

Thanks!
Mathy_girl

PS: Help, I don't get the tex-code in my post in the right way... how does this work?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
End with [/tex], not [\tex].

mathy_girl said:
Hi all,

For my thesis I would like to solve the following second order nonlinear PDE for [tex]V(x,\sigma,t)[/tex]:

[tex]\begin{equation}\frac{1}{2}\sigma^2\frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial x^2}+\frac{1}{2}B^2\frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial \sigma^2}+a\frac{\partial V}{\partial \sigma}=0,\end{equation}[/tex]

subject to the following boundary conditions:
[tex]\begin{equation} V(x,0,t)=\epsilon^{3/2}K \max(x,0)e^{-r(T-t)}\end{equation}[/tex] and
[tex]\begin{equation}V(x,\infty,t)=K (1+\epsilon^{3/2}x)\end{equation}[/tex]

and with terminal condition
[tex]
\begin{equation}V(x,\sigma,T)=\epsilon^{3/2} K \max(x,0).\end{equation}
[/tex]

I've tried separation of variables, by writing [tex]V=X(x)Y(\sigma)[/tex]
which gives 2 ODEs
[tex]X''(x)=kX(x)[/tex] (which is nicely solvable) and
[tex]B^2Y''(\sigma)+2aY'(\sigma)+k\sigma^2Y(\sigma)=0[/tex], which is quite difficult, because it's still nonlinear.
No, that's a linear equation. It just has a variable coefficient. You might be able to do it with a series solution.

Can anyone help me solve this? I don't know if this is the right way to do it, so other suggestions are also welcome!

Thanks!
Mathy_girl

PS: Help, I don't get the tex-code in my post in the right way... how does this work?

Thanks for your help with the tex-parts.

Unforunately, I already tried to construct a power series solution, and I didn't succeed so far.
This is what I tried:

We have to solve
[tex]\begin{equation}B^2Y''(\sigma)+2aY'(\sigma)+k\sigma^2Y(\sigma)=0.\label{ODE_y}\end{equation}[/tex]

Expand [tex]Y(\sigma)=\sum_{n=0}^\infty c_n \sigma^n [/tex], and substitute this into (1) to get

[tex]B^2\sum_{n=2}^\infty n(n-1)c_n \sigma^{n-2}+2a \sum_{n=1}^\infty n c_n \sigma^{n-1}+k \sigma^2 \sum_{n=0}^\infty c_n \sigma^n = 0. [/tex]

If we let all sums start at n=0, we get
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \left( B^2(n+2)(n+1)c_{n+2} + 2a (n+1) c_n + k \sigma^2 c_n \right) \sigma^n = 0. [/tex]

Now how do I solve this? I need to find a recurrency relation for the coefficients [tex]c_n[/tex], but I don't know what to do with the [tex]\sigma^2[/tex] in the last term on the LHS.

Last edited:
The last term is not well stated, the equation for the powers should read

[tex]B^2\sum_{n=2}^\infty n(n-1)c_n \sigma^{n-2}+2a \sum_{n=1}^\infty n c_n \sigma^{n-1}+k \sum_{n=0}^\infty c_n \sigma^{n+2} = 0. [/tex]

Now, changing coefficients so all powers are the same, we have

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \bigl( (n+2) B^2 c_{n+2} + 2a c_n\bigr)(n+1)\sigma^n + \sum_{n=2}^\infty k c_{n-2} \sigma^n= 0.[/tex]

Can you take it from here?

If a is zero, then your equation for Y is closely related to the quantum-mechanical simple harmonic oscillator in one dimension, and its polynomial solutions should be something like Gaussians multiplied by Hermite polynomials. Perhaps this can get you further along.

AiRAVATA said:
The last term is not well stated, the equation for the powers should read

[tex]B^2\sum_{n=2}^\infty n(n-1)c_n \sigma^{n-2}+2a \sum_{n=1}^\infty n c_n \sigma^{n-1}+k \sum_{n=0}^\infty c_n \sigma^{n+2} = 0. [/tex]

Now, changing coefficients so all powers are the same, we have

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \bigl( (n+2) B^2 c_{n+2} + 2a c_n\bigr)(n+1)\sigma^n + \sum_{n=2}^\infty k c_{n-2} \sigma^n= 0.[/tex]

Can you take it from here?

When I take out the first two terms (for n=0 and n=1), we have
[tex]2B^2c_2 + 2a c_0 =0 [/tex] and
[tex](6B^62 c_3 + 4a c_1) \sigma =0, [/tex]
such that
[tex]c_2 = -\frac{a}{B^2}c_0[/tex] and
[tex]c_3 = -\frac{2a}{3B^2}c_1.[/tex]
Is that right?

So now both summation terms start at n=2, and can be combined to one summation as follows:

[tex]\sum_{n=2}^\infty ( ((n+2)B^2 c_{n+2} + 2a c_n)(n+1) + kc_{n-2} ) \sigma^n = 0[/tex]

Next, I have to find this recurrency relation for all terms with n>1.. but how?
Is it given by

[tex]c_{n+2}=\frac{-2a(n+1) c_n - k c_{n-2}}{(n+1)(n+2)B^2}[/tex]?

And how do I get my boundary conditions for [tex]X(x)[/tex] and [tex]Y(\sigma)[/tex]? Because we need them to determine the constants, right?

Last edited:
[tex]c_2 = -\frac{a}{B^2}a_0,[/tex]

[tex]c_4 = \frac{2 \cdot 3 a^2-k}{3 \cdot 4 B^4}a_0,[/tex]

and so on.

For the constants, I believe the best way is to express the boundary conditions in power series, but I'm not sure.

AiRAVATA said:
[tex]c_2 = -\frac{a}{B^2}a_0,[/tex]

[tex]c_4 = \frac{2 \cdot 3 a^2-k}{3 \cdot 4 B^4}a_0,[/tex]

and so on.

For the constants, I believe the best way is to express the boundary conditions in power series, but I'm not sure.

Do you mean [tex]c_0[/tex] instead of [tex]a_0[/tex]?

I understand how you got the first expression, for [tex]c_2[/tex], but how did you get the one for [tex]c_4[/tex]??

Anyone who can help me out with this? I'm still stuck at the same point...

mathy_girl said:
Do you mean [itex]c_0[/itex] instead of [itex]a_0[/itex]?

I understand how you got the first expression, for [itex]c_2[/itex], but how did you get the one for [itex]c_4[/itex]??

Sorry for the late reply, didn't saw the post.

First of all, you are right, I meant [itex]c_0[/itex]. Second, there is a little mistake in my algebra.

If

[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^\infty \bigl( (n+2) B^2 c_{n+2} + 2a c_n\bigr)(n+1)\sigma^n + \sum_{n=2}^\infty k c_{n-2} \sigma^n= 0,
[/tex]

then

[tex]
c_2 = -\frac{a}{B^2} c_0,
[/tex]

[tex]
c_3 = -\frac{2a}{3B^2}c_1,
[/tex]

and

[tex]
c_{n+2}=- \frac{2 (n+1) a c_n + k c_{n-2}}{(n + 1) (n + 2) B^2}.
[/tex]

So far so good. Now, For [itex]c_4[/itex],

[tex]
c_4 = c_{2+2} = - \frac{2 (2 + 1) a c_2 + k c_0}{(2 + 1) (2 + 2) B^2} = - \frac{ 2 \cdot 3 a c_2 + k c_0}{ 3 \cdot 4 B^2}.
[/tex]

Substituting [itex]c_2[/itex], then

[tex]
c_4 = \frac{2 \cdot 3 a^2 - k B^2}{3 \cdot 4 B^4} c_0.
[/tex]

In the same way you can calculate [itex]c_5,\,c_6,...[/itex]. The reason why I let the constants expressed as multiplications is because it might be easier to spot factorials in the recurrence relation.

What is clear is that the general expression for [itex]c_{2n}[/itex] is going to be complicated, as it will be a sum of n terms, while [itex]c_{2n+1}[/itex] will be a sum of n-1 terms (i think).

Now that is clear how to calculate the coefficients, have you figured out how to deal with the boundary conditions?

P. S. Please redo all the math, just to make sure there's no errors this time.

Thanks for your reply :) In the mean time, I indeed figured out how to calculate the coefficients, using the recursion, so on that I agree with you (or at least we do it the same way, tomorrow I'll check the outcomes with my own paperwork).

About the boundary conditions: still have no idea how to do this!

And about the recurrency: I don't expect to see a nice (well known) series or something in that. Do you think it's a logical step to just take the first x (some reasonable number) terms and use that as an approximation of the solution?

Well, how good the approximation is depends on how big the error of taking the truncated series. Remember that the solution is only valid whitin the radius of convergence of the series.

Let me ask you a question, is [itex]\epsilon[/itex] a small parameter?

AiRAVATA said:
Let me ask you a question, is [itex]\epsilon[/itex] a small parameter?

Yes, it is: [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is a small scaling parameter.

AiRAVATA said:
Then use asymptotic theory. The canonical reference would be https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387942025/?tag=pfamazon01-20, just to name a few.

I know, that's exactly what I've been doing. By applying this asymptotic theory (using the method of asymptotic expansions to solve a singular perturbation problem) I got to the problem I stated here... So applying it twice would be a bit strange, wouldn't it?

About the books: Holmes indeed is a good one, I've been using it. The other ones I don't really know, but thanks for the advice: maybe I'll take a look at them too...

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole point of perturbation techniques is to simplify a problem by using the small parameter. How come you ended up with a simpler problem that is still dependent of the small parameter?

Let me show you the complete problem then. Maybe that will make things a bit more clear. In the attachment you can find a part (scrap version of a chapter) of my report so far. Here I describe the problem completely. It's an application of perturbation methods on a financial model.

Section 1.3 is what this problem is about. Here we are doing some boundary layer analysis.

Hope you can help me out with this. If you know any other method to solve the inner problem: that is also fine!

Attachments

• testh8.pdf
    119.3 KB · Views: 287
I'll try a Fourier transform on the original problem.. maybe that will help

1. What is the separation of variables method?

The separation of variables method is a mathematical technique used to solve partial differential equations (PDEs). It involves separating the PDE into simpler equations by assuming that the solution can be expressed as a product of two functions, each depending on only one of the independent variables in the PDE.

2. What is the difference between first and second order PDEs?

A first order PDE involves partial derivatives of the dependent variable with respect to only one independent variable, while a second order PDE involves partial derivatives of the dependent variable with respect to two independent variables.

3. How does the separation of variables method help in solving second order PDEs?

The separation of variables method allows us to break down a second order PDE into two simpler ordinary differential equations (ODEs), which can be solved separately. This simplifies the problem and makes it easier to find the solution.

4. What are the boundary conditions for solving second order PDEs by separation of variables?

The boundary conditions for solving second order PDEs by separation of variables typically involve specifying the values of the dependent variable at the boundaries of the problem domain. These conditions, along with the initial conditions, are used to determine the constants of integration in the solution to the ODEs.

5. Can the separation of variables method be used for all types of second order PDEs?

No, the separation of variables method is only applicable to certain types of second order PDEs, namely those that can be expressed in a specific form known as a separable PDE. Examples include the heat equation, wave equation, and Laplace's equation.