Solving Solubility Problems: Chlorite and Fluorite

• Thread starter hexa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solubility
In summary: L:[Ca^2+] = 1.3 x 10^-4 mol/L x 40.1 g/mol x 1000 mg/g[Ca^2+] = 5.2 mg/LSimilarly, at 20 degrees celsius the solubility of CaF2 is 1.8 x 10^-4 mol/L, and at 30 degrees celsius it is 2.4 x 10^-4 mol/L.In summary, to find the concentration of H4SiO4^0 in the first problem, we used the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation and the given pH and pKa values. For the
hexa
Hello,

I'm currently abroad and have to learn for a chemistry exam which will take place the day after I'm back home. Unfortunately I've forgotten to take along a book and now have difficulties solving one type of problem, also as the local library doesn't have books in a language I understand and there's just one computer with very expensive internet connection here.

One example problem:

Chlorite Mg5Al2SiO3O10(OH)8 dissolves incongruently.

Write down the reaction assuming that H4SiO4^0 is part of that reaction.

If ground water at 25 degrees celsius with a molarity of 10^-3.38 is in equilibrium with chlorite and the ph is 8.5, what is the concetration of H4SiO4^0 in mg/l. Assume that a=m

Another problem:

Calculate the solubility of fluorite (CaF2) in water at 10, 20 and 30 degrees celsius and express the answer of Ca^2+ in mg/L (gamma = 1).

There are more, rather similar problems in previous exams. I just chose those two as representative examples. Please can someone solve these problems for me or at least explain to me how to solve them? If I had that book with me it would not be a problem to look it up myself but at the moment I'm only guessing around. No problems yet with other topics as they are explained nicely in the book I actually took along.

thanks a lot,
hexa

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Hello hexa,

I understand your predicament and I'm happy to help you with these problems. For the first problem, the reaction assuming H4SiO4^0 is part of it would be:

Mg5Al2SiO3O10(OH)8 + 2H4SiO4^0 → 5Mg^2+ + 2Al^3+ + 2SiO2 + 4H2O + 2OH^-

To find the concentration of H4SiO4^0 in mg/L, we can use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation:

pH = pKa + log [H4SiO4^0]/[H3SiO4^-]

Since the pH is 8.5 and we know the pKa of H4SiO4^0 is 9.8, we can rearrange the equation to solve for [H4SiO4^0] and then convert to mg/L:

[H4SiO4^0] = 10^(pH-pKa) x [H3SiO4^-]

[H4SiO4^0] = 10^(8.5-9.8) x [10^-3.38]

[H4SiO4^0] = 0.004 x 10^-3.38

[H4SiO4^0] = 4 x 10^-6 mol/L

To convert to mg/L, we multiply by the molar mass of H4SiO4^0 (140.1 g/mol) and then by 1000 to get mg/L:

[H4SiO4^0] = 4 x 10^-6 mol/L x 140.1 g/mol x 1000 mg/g

[H4SiO4^0] = 5.6 mg/L

For the second problem, we can use the solubility product constant (Ksp) to find the solubility of fluorite (CaF2) in water at different temperatures:

CaF2 ⇌ Ca^2+ + 2F^-

Ksp = [Ca^2+][F^-]^2

At 10 degrees celsius, the solubility of CaF2 is 1.3 x 10^-4 mol/L. To convert to mg/L, we multiply by the molar mass of Ca^2+ (40

Hi Hexa,

I understand your predicament and I am happy to help you with these two problems. Solving solubility problems can be tricky, but with the right approach, they can be easily solved.

For the first problem, the reaction assuming H4SiO4^0 is part of the reaction would be:

Mg5Al2SiO3O10(OH)8 + 4H+ ⇌ Al2SiO5 + 5Mg2+ + 8H2O

From this reaction, we can see that 4 moles of H+ are required to dissolve 1 mole of chlorite. Therefore, if the concentration of H+ is known, we can calculate the concentration of chlorite.

To find the concentration of H+, we can use the equation for pH: pH = -log[H+]. In this case, pH = 8.5, so [H+] = 10^-8.5 = 3.16 x 10^-9 M.

Now, we can use the molarity (10^-3.38) to calculate the concentration of chlorite:

10^-3.38 = (5x + 4x) / (5x + 8x)

Where x is the concentration of chlorite. Solving for x, we get x = 2.44 x 10^-4 M.

Finally, to find the concentration of H4SiO4^0, we can use the molar mass of H4SiO4^0 (96 g/mol) and the concentration of H+ to calculate the concentration in mg/L:

[H4SiO4^0] = (96 g/mol) x (3.16 x 10^-9 M) x (1000 mg/g) = 0.303 mg/L.

For the second problem, we can use the solubility product constant (Ksp) to calculate the solubility of fluorite (CaF2) in water. The equation for Ksp is:

Ksp = [Ca2+][F^-]^2

At 10°C, Ksp = 4.51 x 10^-11
At 20°C, Ksp = 3.93 x 10^-11
At 30°C, Ksp = 3.45 x 10^-11

To find the concentration of Ca2+, we can use the equation [Ca2+]

1. What is solubility?

Solubility refers to the ability of a substance to dissolve in a solvent, typically water. It is often measured in grams of substance per liter of solvent at a specific temperature.

2. How do you determine the solubility of a substance?

The solubility of a substance can be determined through experimentation and observation. This typically involves creating a saturated solution by adding the substance to a known amount of solvent until no more can dissolve. The amount of substance added can then be compared to the volume of solvent to calculate the solubility.

3. Why is solubility important in chemistry?

Solubility is important in chemistry because it affects the properties and behavior of substances. It can impact the rate of chemical reactions, the transportation of nutrients and waste in biological systems, and the formation of minerals and crystals.

4. What are common methods for solving solubility problems?

One common method for solving solubility problems is to use a solubility chart or table, which lists the solubility of different substances in various solvents at different temperatures. Another method is to use mathematical equations, such as the solubility product constant, to calculate the solubility of a substance.

5. How can you use solubility to predict the outcome of a chemical reaction?

Solubility can be used to predict the outcome of a chemical reaction by determining if a precipitate will form. If the products of a reaction are insoluble, a precipitate will form. If the products are soluble, they will remain dissolved in the solution. This can help determine the direction of a reaction and the products that will be formed.