Solving the Force Due to Pipe Bend Problem: Conservation of Momentum Approach

  • Thread starter Thread starter rjenkins
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bend Force Pipe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 12K views
rjenkins
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I have question that I'm sure has been asked before. Maybe if you could point me to a thread that'd be great.

The water flows steady discharging to atmosphere. I need to find the horizontal componant of force in the flanged joint & find if it's in tension or compression.

I think I have a Conservation of Momentum problem that I can't figure what I'm doing wrong. I have attached the problem. I figured that due to uniform, steady flow Q=constant so that V1A1=V2A2. So with that I plugged into the momentum flux equation.

=density of water((v2^2)(A2)(cos30)-(V1^2)(A1))+(Pressure)(A2)

If it discharges to atmosphere then I thought maybe it's Pressure(gage)(A1) instead of A2? I think I'm all over the place with this one.



Thanks for any assistance clearing the fog
 
Attachments
Physics news on Phys.org
Please post the exact, complete text of the question, as given to you.
 
Never mind I figured it out. Thanks anyway. I was using for my V2 the resultant vector for both V's. One is the magnitude in the dot product the other V is the vector found by the Vcos(30).