Solving the IVP and minimum value

In summary: Because the function is continuous on [0,0.309] and differentiable on (0,0.309). This will give you the absolute max on [0,0.309].
DrunkApple

Homework Statement

Solve the initial value problem
y' = 2cos (2x)/(3+2y), y(0) = 1
and determine where the solution attains its maximum value

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got it to here
y[itex]^{2}[/itex] + 3y = sin(2x) + C
but I don't know what to do from here...
Help please

Physics news on Phys.org
DrunkApple said:

Homework Statement

Solve the initial value problem
y' = 2cos (2x)/(3+2y), y(0) = 1
and determine where the solution attains its maximum value

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got it to here
y[itex]^{2}[/itex] + 3y = sin(2x) + C
but I don't know what to do from here...
Help please

What you got there is wrong, the standard solution is write y'=dy/dx and put all y's on left and all x's on right, then integrate both sides.

I did.
dy/dx = 2cos (2x)/(3+2y)
(3+2y)dy = 2cos(2x)dx
isn't this not it?

DrunkApple said:
I did.
dy/dx = 2cos (2x)/(3+2y)
(3+2y)dy = 2cos(2x)dx
isn't this not it?

Sorry my bad, I miss-read your equation :) I guess then y = solve the 2nd order algebraic equation, which has two solutions, only one is feasible for y[0]=1; Actually set x=0 and y=1, you figure C=4, then you realize there are 2 solutions, only one gives you back y[0]=1.

BTW I was wondering why 1st order ODE has two independent solutions...

Last edited:
would you please show me how to do it? because I really have no idea about this. How do I solve for the 2nd order?

DrunkApple said:
I did.
dy/dx = 2cos (2x)/(3+2y)
(3+2y)dy = 2cos(2x)dx
isn't this not it?

Separate the variables and integrate just like you were doing here, you were on the right track:
[tex](3+2y)dy = 2cos(2x)dx[/tex]
[tex]\int(3+2y)dy = \int2cos(2x)dx[/tex]

You'll end up with a function of x's and y's, to which you can apply your initial condition and solve for your constant of integration. Once you have that, you're basically done. From there, you can simply maximize the function to find x where y_max.

DrunkApple said:
would you please show me how to do it? because I really have no idea about this. How do I solve for the 2nd order?

solution to [itex] ax^2+bx+c=0[/itex] is given by [itex] x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/itex]

so I use quadratic equation after integrating?

3y + 2y[itex]^{2}[/itex] = sin (2x) + C ??

DrunkApple said:
so I use quadratic equation after integrating?

3y + 2y[itex]^{2}[/itex] = sin (2x) + C ??

Yes, find the solution of the ode and solve for y. Then the extreme values are where y'(x)=0. You can actually read those values of x out of the original ode.

ohhh ok i got it ;D
would you give me some hints about how to get its maximum value (for 0 ≤ x ≤ 0.309)?

DrunkApple said:
ohhh ok i got it ;D
would you give me some hints about how to get its maximum value (for 0 ≤ x ≤ 0.309)?

Did you work out what y(x) is? Did you figure out where the critical points where y'(x)=0 are? If you are looking for the max on [0,0.309] it will be one of the end points. Why?

FAQ: Solving the IVP and minimum value

1. What is an IVP?

An IVP (initial value problem) is a mathematical problem that involves finding a function that satisfies a given differential equation and also satisfies specified initial conditions. These initial conditions typically include a starting point and a starting value for the function.

2. How do you solve an IVP?

To solve an IVP, you first need to find the general solution to the given differential equation. Then, you can use the initial conditions to determine the specific solution that satisfies both the differential equation and the initial conditions.

3. What is the minimum value in an IVP?

The minimum value in an IVP refers to the smallest possible value that the function can take on while still satisfying the given differential equation and initial conditions.

4. How do you find the minimum value in an IVP?

To find the minimum value in an IVP, you can use a few different approaches. One method is to take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero to find the critical points. Then, you can plug these points into the function to determine which one gives the smallest value. Alternatively, you can use optimization techniques to find the minimum value.

5. Why is finding the minimum value important in an IVP?

Finding the minimum value in an IVP is important because it allows us to identify the lowest possible value that the function can take on while still satisfying the given conditions. This can provide valuable insights into the behavior of the function and help us make predictions or draw conclusions about the system being modeled.