Solving the Laguerre Equation: 0 as Regular Singular Point

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laguerre
In summary, we have shown that the differential equation has 0 as its singular regular point, and we have found a solution of the form $x^m \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^n$ for which $m=0$ and $a_n = (-1)^n a_0 \frac{\prod_{i=0}^{n-1} (a-i)}{\prod_{i=2}^n i^2}$. We have also shown that if $a=n$, where $n \in \mathbb{N}$, then there is a polynomial solution of degree $n$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

The differential equation Laguerre $xy''+(1-x)y'+ay=0, a \in \mathbb{R}$ is given.

• Show that the equation has $0$ as its singular regular point .
  • Find a solution of the differential equation of the form $x^m \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^n (x>0) (m \in \mathbb{R})$
  • Show that if $a=n$, where $n \in \mathbb{N}$ then there is a polynomial solution of degree $n$.
  • Let $L_n$ the polynomial $L_n(x)=e^x \frac{d^n}{dx^n} (x^n \cdot e^{-x})$ (show that it is a polynomial), $n=1,2,3, \dots$. Show that $L_n$ satisfies the equation Laguerre if $a=n(n=1,2, \dots)$

That's what I have tried:

• For $x \neq 0$ the differential equation can be written as: $y''+ \frac{1-x}{x}y'+ \frac{a}{x}y=0$.
    $p(x)= \frac{1-x}{x}, q(x)= \frac{a}{x}$
    The functions $x \cdot p(x)= 1-x, \ x^2q(x)=ax$ can be written as power series in a region of $0$.
    Thus, $0$ is a singular regular point.
  • We suppose that there is a solution of the form $y(x)=x^m \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^n= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^{n+m}$.
    Then $y'(x)= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n(n+m) x^{n+m-1} \Rightarrow -xy'(x)= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} -a_n(n+m) x^{n+m}$ and $y''(x)= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n(n+m)(n+m-1) x^{n+m-2} \Rightarrow xy''(x)= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n(n+m)(n+m-1) x^{n+m-1}$So we have $\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n (n+m)(n+m-1) x^{n+m-1}+ \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n (n+m) x^{n+m-1} + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} -a_{n-1} (n+m-1) x^{n+m-1}+ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a a_{n-1} x^{n+m-1}=0 \\ \Rightarrow a_0 m (m-1) x^{m-1}+ a_0 m x^{m-1}+ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \left[ a_n (n+m) (n+m-1)+ a_n(n+m)-a_{n-1}(n+m-1)+ a a_{n-1} \right] x^{n+m-1}=0$

It has to hold:

$$a_0 m^2=0 \overset{a_0 \neq 0}{ \Rightarrow } m=0$$

$$a_n (n+m) (n+m-1)+ a_n (n+m)- a_{n-1} (n+m-1)+ a a_{n-1}=0$$

For $m=0$: $a_{n} n (n-1)+ a_n n-a_{n-1} (n-1)+ a a_{n-1}=0 \Rightarrow a_n n^2+ a_{n-1} (a-n+1)=0 \Rightarrow a_n=- \frac{a_{n-1}(a-n+1)}{n^2}$

For $n=1: \ a_1=-aa_0$
    For $n=2: \ a_2= \frac{aa_0(a-1)}{2^2} $
    For $n=3: \ a_3=- \frac{aa_0(a-1) (a-2)}{2^2 3^2} $
    For $n=4: \ a_4= \frac{aa_0(a-1)(a-2)(a-3)}{2^2 3^2 4^2} $
    For $n=5: \ a_5= -\frac{aa_0(a-1)(a-2)(a-3)(a-4)}{2^2 3^2 4^2 5^2} $

We see that $a_n=(-1)^n a_0 \frac{\prod_{i=0}^{n-1} (a-i)}{\prod_{i=2}^n i^2}$$$\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}=(-1) \frac{a-n}{(n+1)^2} \to 0$$

So the series $\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^n$ converges and its radius of convergence is equal to $+\infty$.
Is it right so far? Could you give me a hint what we could do in order to answer the other two questions? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, your solution for the first part is correct. For the second part, we can use the fact that $L_n$ is a polynomial to show that it satisfies the differential equation. We have:

$$L_n(x) = e^x \frac{d^n}{dx^n}(x^n e^{-x}) = e^x \left(\frac{d^n}{dx^n}x^n \right)e^{-x} + x^n \frac{d^n}{dx^n}(e^{-x})$$

Using the product rule and the fact that $\frac{d}{dx}e^{-x}=-e^{-x}$, we can simplify this to:

$$L_n(x) = e^x \left(n(n-1)(n-2)...(n-n+1)x^{n-1} \right)e^{-x} + (-1)^n x^n e^{-x}$$

Now, we can see that this is equivalent to:

$$L_n(x) = n(n-1)(n-2)...(n-n+1)x^{n-1} + (-1)^n x^n$$

Using the definition of $p(x)$ and $q(x)$ from the first part, we can rewrite this as:

$$L_n(x) = n(n-1)p(x)p(x-1)...p(x-n+1)x^{n-1} + (-1)^n x^n$$

From this, we can see that $L_n(x)$ satisfies the differential equation Laguerre with $a=n$.

For the third part, we can use this result to show that if $a=n$, where $n \in \mathbb{N}$, then there is a polynomial solution of degree $n$. We have already shown that $L_n(x)$ satisfies the differential equation, so we just need to show that it is a polynomial of degree $n$. From the definition of $L_n(x)$, we can see that the highest power of $x$ in $L_n(x)$ is $n$. Therefore, $L_n(x)$ is a polynomial of degree $n$ and satisfies the differential equation.

1. What is the Laguerre equation?

The Laguerre equation is a second-order differential equation that is used to solve problems in quantum mechanics and other areas of physics. It is written in the form of y'' + (1-x)y' + ny = 0, where n is a parameter that determines the type of solution.

2. What is a regular singular point?

A regular singular point is a point at which the coefficients of the differential equation become infinite or zero, but the equation remains well-behaved and has a finite number of solutions. In the Laguerre equation, 0 is a regular singular point because the coefficient of y becomes infinite when x=0, but the equation still has a finite number of solutions.

3. How do you solve the Laguerre equation?

The Laguerre equation can be solved using power series methods, where the solution is written as a series of terms with increasing powers of x. The coefficients of the series can be determined by substituting the series into the differential equation and solving for each term. Alternatively, the equation can also be solved using numerical methods.

4. What is the significance of solving the Laguerre equation?

The solutions of the Laguerre equation have important physical significance, as they describe the behavior of physical systems such as quantum mechanical systems or vibrating systems. They also have applications in various areas of mathematics, including special functions and orthogonal polynomials.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Laguerre equation?

Yes, the Laguerre equation has many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It is used to describe the behavior of electrons in hydrogen atoms, the vibrations of strings and membranes, and the thermal conductivity of materials. It is also used in signal processing and image analysis.