Solving the Mechanics Puzzle of Meshcherskii: Understanding Thrust and Drag

In summary, the tension force in the third connection would be affected by the thrust and drag of the tugboat.
cwill53
Homework Statement
5. Three barges of different displacement are being towed one behind the other by a tugboat. The thrust developed by the propeller of the tug is 3600lbs, the drag of the tug is 1200lbs. The drags of the first, second, and third barge are 1200lbs, 800lbs, and 400lbs, respectively. The tensile strength of the available rope is 400lbs. How many ropes of this strength must be used to attach each barge to the preceding one? The motion of the train is rectilinear and uniform.
Relevant Equations
$$\sum \vec{F}=m\vec{a}$$
"Collection of Problems of Mechanics" by Meshcherskii.I see how the answer could be arrived at because each successive drag increases the number of ropes that must be used, but what I don't understand is why the thrust and drag of the tug doesn't play a role in the number of ropes required.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you drawn a diagram?

etotheipi said:
Have you drawn a diagram?
I did but I don't think it's necessary to use one to solve this problem.

cwill53 said:
I did but I don't think it's necessary to use one to solve this problem.

Is it possible to post it here, or at least describe all of the forces on each object? A clear diagram is often helpful to avoid errors in questions like these. And especially useful if you get stuck!

Likes cwill53
Here is my diagram which may been inaccurate bc the forces may be in the wrong order.

Attachments

• B140E7CE-0BFD-4C8D-9A3B-E7675193CBAF.jpeg
    B140E7CE-0BFD-4C8D-9A3B-E7675193CBAF.jpeg
    28.9 KB · Views: 90
Your diagram is fairly good (I like the boat!), but there are one or two things you could do better. Firstly making sure the force arrows are attached to the body they're acting on (might sound pedantic, but is a good habit!).

More importantly, you haven't really drawn in the tension forces. A rope will exert a tension force on anything attached to it, so really for each connection you should have two opposite forces a bit like this (ignore the forces acting on the rope):

1587677240213.png

Once you've sorted that, apply the condition of zero acceleration to different systems of choice to work out your tension forces!

etotheipi said:
Your diagram is fairly good (I like the boat!), but there are one or two things you could do better. Firstly making sure the force arrows are attached to the body they're acting on (might sound pedantic, but is a good habit!).

More importantly, you haven't really drawn in the tension forces. A rope will exert a tension force on anything attached to it, so really for each connection you should have two opposite forces a bit like this (ignore the forces acting on the rope):

View attachment 261282
Once you've sorted that, apply the condition of zero acceleration to different systems of choice to work out your tension forces!
Lol thanks, I tried with the boat😂 and I will fix up my diagram.

The book says that the answers are 6,3, and 1 rope, but I don’t see how those answers could be arrived at looking at my diagram. I do see how one could get that from

400lbs/400lbs=1
(400lbs+800lbs)/400lbs=3
(400lbs+800lbs+1200lbs)/400lbs=6

I simply don’t understand how the thrust of the propeller doesn’t play a role in this.

cwill53 said:
what I don't understand is why the thrust and drag of the tug doesn't play a role in the number of ropes required.
It would if the system is accelerating. Is it?

Likes cwill53 and etotheipi
cwill53 said:
The book says that the answers are 6,3, and 1 rope, but I don’t see how those answers could be arrived at looking at my diagram.

Okay, first consider the third boat bobbing along on the end of the chain. What's the tension force in that final connection? So how many ropes do you need? Then, consider a system containing the last two boats and the connection between them. What's the tension force in the second connection?

What system do you use to get the third tension?

@haruspex is right, if the system is accelerating you'd need to do a little bit more work.

etotheipi said:

View attachment 261282
haruspex said:
It would if the system is accelerating. Is it?
I see now. It all makes sense. Thank both of you for your help.

etotheipi said:
Okay, first consider the third boat bobbing along on the end of the chain. What's the tension force in that final connection? So how many ropes do you need? Then, consider a system containing the last two boats and the connection between them. What's the tension force in the second connection?

What system do you use to get the third tension?

@haruspex is right, if the system is accelerating you'd need to do a little bit more work.
The tension force in that one would just be 400lbs, right?

What if I tweaked the problem some and said that the system was accelerating. Only then would the thrust and drag of the tugboat matter, right?

cwill53 said:
The tension force in that one would just be 400lbs, right?

What if I tweaked the problem some and said that the system was accelerating. Only then would the thrust and drag of the tugboat matter, right?

I mean you can always just call it ##a## and work through the problem again to see what happens! All the boats are constrained to have the same acceleration (so long as it's positive - ropes can't transmit thrust!), so the only real difference it makes is what you set equal to the resultant force when you resolve forces on any chosen sub-system. It's not going to be zero any more...

Came across this question:
A load Q of 60lbs is held in equilibrium by a counterbalance P attached to the end of a rope ABC weighing 10lbs which passes around a pulley. Determine the weight of the counterbalance P, the tensions $$F_{A}$$ and $$F_{C}$$ in the end sections, and the tension in the middle section B of the rope, if (1) the ends A and C are at the same level; (2) the end A is at the highest position; (3) the end A is at the lowest position. Neglect the stiffness of the rope, the radius of the pulley, and friction.

The answers and diagram are in the following photo.
IMG_6848.jpg

I understand how they might have got to these answers but I'm still kind of shaky on how the mass of the rope plays a role in the tension at point B, and how to mathematically represent the tension at any point along the rope; I know the tension varies because the rope has mass. If I was to consider friction, what would should be done differently?
For part 1, I know intuitively that Q and P have to be the same weight because they're at the same level and the system is in equilibrium. I also know that $$\vec{F_{A}}=\vec{F_{_{C}}}=60lbs(-\hat{y})$$ because the weights Q and P are not holding up the weight of the rope.

Since it's a different question entirely, you might be better off posting this in a new thread.

With that said, a comment I will add is that you should consider the pulley as being negligibly small, and you should think of the rope as broken down into two solid bodies held together by a connection over the pulley. You can then imagine a tiny massless string between each of the masses and the solid sections of rope, exerting the tension force between them:

1587749700073.png

Likes cwill53
etotheipi said:
Since it's a different question entirely, you might be better off posting this in a new thread.

With that said, a comment I will add is that you should consider the pulley as being negligibly small, and you should think of the rope as broken down into two solid bodies held together by a connection over the pulley. You can then imagine a tiny massless string between each of the masses and the solid sections of rope, exerting the tension force between them:

View attachment 261342
Thanks. Do you think it would be appropriate to keep related questions in the same thread? I’m working on changing my study habits and doing a lot more problems and I know that I will have more questions.

Likes etotheipi
cwill53 said:
Thanks. Do you think it would be appropriate to keep related questions in the same thread? I’m working on changing my study habits and doing a lot more problems and I know that I will have more questions.

I would advise opening a new thread for a completely new question, it's also beneficial for you since it means more people will see the new post and be able to help.

Likes jbriggs444
etotheipi said:
I would advise opening a new thread for a completely new question, it's also beneficial for you since it means more people will see the new post and be able to help.
Will do

1. What is the Mechanics Puzzle of Meshcherskii?

The Mechanics Puzzle of Meshcherskii refers to the mystery surrounding the propulsion system developed by Russian engineer Alexander Meshcherskii in the early 20th century. This system claimed to generate thrust without any external propulsion, but its mechanism and principles are still not fully understood.

2. How does Meshcherskii's propulsion system work?

The exact workings of Meshcherskii's propulsion system are still a subject of debate and research. Some theories suggest that it utilizes a combination of electromagnetism and fluid dynamics to generate thrust, while others propose the use of a special type of vortex or vortex ring. However, there is no conclusive evidence to support any of these theories.

3. What is the significance of understanding the Mechanics Puzzle of Meshcherskii?

Solving the Mechanics Puzzle of Meshcherskii has the potential to revolutionize the field of propulsion and transportation. If the principles behind Meshcherskii's system can be fully understood and replicated, it could lead to the development of more efficient and sustainable propulsion methods for various modes of transportation.

4. What challenges are scientists facing in understanding this puzzle?

The main challenge in understanding the Mechanics Puzzle of Meshcherskii is the lack of reliable and comprehensive data on the system. Most of the information available is based on anecdotal accounts and incomplete documentation, making it difficult to verify and replicate the results. Additionally, the technology and equipment used by Meshcherskii are outdated, making it challenging to conduct experiments and gather accurate data.

5. Is there any progress being made in solving this puzzle?

Yes, there are ongoing efforts by scientists and researchers to solve the Mechanics Puzzle of Meshcherskii. Some have attempted to replicate Meshcherskii's experiments with modern technology, while others are conducting theoretical studies and simulations to better understand the principles behind the system. However, a definitive solution has not yet been achieved, and more research and collaboration are needed to make progress in this field.