Solving the Mystery of 7 Three-Way Switches & 7 Lights

In summary: IT KUMARIn summary, the conversation is about a mystery wiring setup involving 7 three-way switches and 7 lights. The switches need to work in a specific pattern and also in reverse. The solution may involve using single-throw double pole switches and repeating the wiring pattern for each light.
jdogohoover
have been told there is a way to make this mystery below work and can't figure it out. I know it wouldn't be up to code and i would never do it but if someone could hook me up with a wire diagram of how its done i really appreciate it. I am pretty sure switching the neutral is involved electrician,

there are 7 three way switches and 7 lights and the switches need to work like described below and it also has to work in reverse from switch 7 back to switch 1. please please help

ok, all the switches are 3 way, when u turn on switch 1, light 1 and 2 comes on when u hit switch 2, light 1 goes off and 2 and 3 come on, when u hit switch 3 light 2 goes off and 3 and 4 come on, when u hit switch 4 light 3 goes off and 4 and 5 come on, switch 5, light 4 off 5 and 6 come on, switch 6 5 goes off and 6 and 7 come on when u hit switch 7 they all go off, it has to work in both directions. . susposedly it has something to do with the way lights were wired in mines.

Physics news on Phys.org
jdogohoover said:
have been told there is a way to make this mystery below work and can't figure it out. I know it wouldn't be up to code and i would never do it but if someone could hook me up with a wire diagram of how its done i really appreciate it. I am pretty sure switching the neutral is involved electrician,

there are 7 three way switches and 7 lights and the switches need to work like described below and it also has to work in reverse from switch 7 back to switch 1. please please help

ok, all the switches are 3 way, when u turn on switch 1, light 1 and 2 comes on when u hit switch 2, light 1 goes off and 2 and 3 come on, when u hit switch 3 light 2 goes off and 3 and 4 come on, when u hit switch 4 light 3 goes off and 4 and 5 come on, switch 5, light 4 off 5 and 6 come on, switch 6 5 goes off and 6 and 7 come on when u hit switch 7 they all go off, it has to work in both directions. . susposedly it has something to do with the way lights were wired in mines.
You will need single-throw double pole, three way switches. The second switch is wired as the second switch in the three-way control for light #1 and (using the second set of contacts) the first switch in the three-way control for light #2. Just repeat that for n lights.

AM

Related to Solving the Mystery of 7 Three-Way Switches & 7 Lights

What is the mystery of 7 three-way switches and 7 lights?

The mystery of 7 three-way switches and 7 lights refers to a puzzle where there are 7 switches that control 7 lights, but the switches are not labeled and are in a different position than the lights. The goal is to determine which switch controls which light.

What is a three-way switch?

A three-way switch is a type of electrical switch that can control a light or other electrical device from two different locations. It has three terminals and allows for the light to be turned on or off from either location.

How can I solve the mystery of 7 three-way switches and 7 lights?

There are a few strategies that can be used to solve this mystery. One approach is to systematically flip each switch and observe which light turns on or off. Another strategy is to use a multimeter to test the voltage on each switch and determine which one is connected to which light.

Why is it important to solve this mystery?

Solving this mystery can help improve understanding of electrical circuits and how switches work. It can also be a fun and challenging puzzle to solve.

Are there any real-world applications for this mystery?

Yes, understanding how three-way switches work is important for designing and troubleshooting electrical systems in buildings. Solving this mystery can also help with understanding and troubleshooting complex electrical systems in other industries, such as transportation or manufacturing.