Solving the Mystery of the Flying Fly: How Many Trips?

In summary, a car moving at a constant speed of 40 km/h makes a 90-degree turn while a fly flying at a constant speed of 100 km/h starts at a wall, flies towards the car, turns back when it reaches the car and continues until the car makes the turn. The distance between the car and the wall is initially 20 km, and the time it takes for the car to reach the fly is x/140. The fly's distance from the wall is 5x/7. However, the number of back and forth trips between the car and the wall is infinite because as the car gets closer to the wall, the distance of the fly's trip becomes shorter and shorter, resulting in an infinite number of
The legend

Homework Statement

A car moving at constant speed of 40 km/h in a straight road which heads towards a wall makes a 900 (90 degree) turn by the side of the wall. A fly flying at constant speed 100km/h starts from wall till car and when it reaches the car turns back and flies towards wall at same speed (100 km/h). This procedure starts when the car is 20 km away from the wall. The fly continues its journey till the car takes the 90 - degree turn.
So how many trips has the fly made between the car and wall?

Homework Equations

[tex]
distance = speed * time
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[PLAIN]http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/2922/suma.png

A is the initial position of car. B is the position where the fly first meets the car. O is the wall.
So let x = 20km be distance from car to wall.
Let t be time taken for car to reach from A to B
Now

AB = 40t
OB = 100t
but,
x = AB + OB
t = x/140therefore
[tex]
OB = \frac{5x}{7}
[/tex]This is all that I got...
When I checked answers it says infinite...
I just don't get it..
Please Help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the fly's velocity is initially opposite that of the car, so you've got to make one of them negative. When the fly goes back toward the wall then both velocities are the same sign. That will change your expression a bit. Sounds like you're supposed to get a diverging geometric series, if the answer is infinite.

I didn't quite get the:
x = x/140
and the
OB = 5x/7

But the reason the fly made infinite trips, i guess, is that the closer the car gets to the wall, the quicker the fly makes a trip. And finally when the car reaches the wall, the distance of the fly's trip is 0, therefore at that moment it will make infinite number of trips.

Hope I didn't just lie to you :)

Do yo need to find the total distance the fly flies or are you looking for the number of back and forth trips?

SomeBloke said:
I didn't quite get the:
x = x/140
Oh sorry about that
its like this
t = x/140

SomeBloke said:
I didn't quite get the:
OB = 5x/7
substituting t
OB = 100 t = 100x/140 = 5x/7

SomeBloke said:
But the reason the fly made infinite trips, i guess, is that the closer the car gets to the wall, the quicker the fly makes a trip. And finally when the car reaches the wall, the distance of the fly's trip is 0, therefore at that moment it will make infinite number of trips.

But ... I feel this may be wrong. (no offense)

kuruman said:
Do yo need to find the total distance the fly flies or are you looking for the number of back and forth trips?

I need to find the number of back and forth trips.

merryjman said:
Well, the fly's velocity is initially opposite that of the car, so you've got to make one of them negative. When the fly goes back toward the wall then both velocities are the same sign. That will change your expression a bit. Sounds like you're supposed to get a diverging geometric series, if the answer is infinite.

you are considering velocity... instead I have taken it in terms of speed according to the question(hope I did the right thing)

And about the diverging geometric series... could you please tell me what it is (I just know geometric progression)

What is the mystery of the flying fly?

The mystery of the flying fly refers to the puzzling behavior of flies that seem to fly in a zigzag pattern, making multiple trips before landing on a surface. Scientists have been trying to understand why flies exhibit this behavior for many years.

Why do flies make multiple trips before landing?

There are a few theories as to why flies make multiple trips before landing. One theory suggests that the flies are using this behavior to assess the safety and stability of the landing surface. Another theory suggests that the flies are searching for the best spot to lay their eggs.

How do scientists study the behavior of flying flies?

Scientists use various methods to study the behavior of flying flies. One common method is to use high-speed cameras to capture the movements of the flies. Scientists also use specialized equipment to track the movements of individual flies and analyze their flight patterns.

What have scientists discovered about the flying fly mystery?

Scientists have discovered that flies make multiple trips before landing due to a combination of factors, including their visual system, flight muscles, and environmental factors. They have also found that this behavior is not unique to flies and is also seen in other insects.

What are the potential implications of solving the mystery of the flying fly?

Solving the mystery of the flying fly can provide valuable insights into the behavior and physiology of insects. It can also have practical applications, such as improving pest control strategies and developing new technologies inspired by the flight patterns of insects.