Solving the Network of Pipes: Two Possible Answers?

In summary, the author discusses a network of pipes and attempts to solve it using the equation Q1 = Q2 + Q3. The author finds a value of 25.2 for the head of junction, but when they solve it using Q1 + Q2 = Q3, they get a value of 28. The author asks if it is possible to have two answers for this question and if it is wrong to make an assumption about the location of the junction.
foo9008

Homework Statement

in this network of pipe , the author make the attempts to solve it using ( Q1 = Q2 + Q3) , so delta Q = Q1 -(Q2 +Q3) , the value of head of junction that he gt is 25.2 , with delta Q = (3x10^-3) ( not shown in the working)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

however, when i tried to solve it using ( Q1 + Q2 = Q3) , which means ( Q1 +Q2 - Q3 ) , thae ans that i gt is hj = 28 , with delta Q = 0.07 [/B]

P/s : we have to find the delta Q = 0 for the ans so that water from inlet = water from outlet
so , question has two ans depending on the flow of water ? or i am wrong ?

Attachments

• 178.PNG
    178.PNG
    18.4 KB · Views: 413
  • 179.PNG
    179.PNG
    19.7 KB · Views: 372
  • 180.PNG
    180.PNG
    21.7 KB · Views: 391
  • 181.PNG
    181.PNG
    12.9 KB · Views: 396
  • 182.PNG
    182.PNG
    12.5 KB · Views: 418
Physics news on Phys.org
OiFq3mL.png

zsrSg6N.png

is it wrong to have 2 answer for such question ,
i find it work by using ( Q1 = Q2 + Q3) and ( Q1 + Q2 = Q3)

Anyone can comment ?

bump

deleted

Bump

i have done this question in 2 ways , which is ( Q1 - (Q2 + Q3) ) and ( Q1 +Q2 - Q3 ) which is correct ? or both are correct ? please refer to post 1

pls ignore the question i posted above ...
now , i have new question with the same figure..
from the diagram , we know that the junction is lower than the pipe at B . why the author want to make an assumption that the junction is located at 20m from the datum ? is it correct to do so ?

can i start a new thread and delete this thread ? how to delete this thread ??

1. What is the purpose of solving the network of pipes?

The purpose of solving the network of pipes is to determine the flow of fluids or gases through a complex system of interconnected pipes. This is important in various industries such as water supply, oil and gas, and chemical processing, as it allows engineers to optimize the system for efficient and safe operation.

2. How do you solve the network of pipes?

There are various methods for solving the network of pipes, including the Hardy Cross method, the Hazen-Williams equation, and the Darcy-Weisbach equation. These methods use different mathematical equations and algorithms to calculate the flow rates and pressure drops in the pipes.

3. What are the two possible answers when solving the network of pipes?

The two possible answers when solving the network of pipes are the flow rates and pressure drops in each pipe. These values are important in determining the overall performance and efficiency of the system.

4. What factors affect the accuracy of the solutions when solving the network of pipes?

The accuracy of the solutions when solving the network of pipes can be affected by various factors, such as the assumptions made in the equations, the precision of input data, and the complexity of the system. It is important to carefully analyze and validate the results to ensure accuracy.

5. What are the limitations of solving the network of pipes?

There are some limitations to solving the network of pipes, such as the assumptions made in the equations may not accurately reflect real-world conditions, and the calculations may become more complex as the network becomes larger and more intricate. Additionally, factors such as temperature changes and blockages in the pipes can also affect the accuracy of the solutions.