Solving the Odd 3-Digit Number Permutations

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to construct three digit numbers using the digits 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7, with each digit being used only once and the resulting number being odd. The conversation suggests starting by considering the number of ways to choose three different digits from the given set, and then determining how many of those combinations will result in an odd number. The problem is considered to be vaguely worded.
L²Cc

Homework Statement

How many 3 digit numbers can be constructed from digits 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 if each digit may be used once only and the number is odd?

2. The attempt at a solution
What number do they speak of? The resulting 3 digit number? How do I approach this equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
L²Cc said:

Homework Statement

How many 3 digit numbers can be constructed from digits 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 if each digit may be used once only and the number is odd?

2. The attempt at a solution
What number do they speak of? The resulting 3 digit number? How do I approach this equation?

For example, I could pick out the numbers 1,2 and 3 and form the number

but also, I could form, 132 ,or 213, or 231, or 312, or 321.

But, that is just one way to pick three numbers (1,2,3). I could have chosen to pick out the numbers 3,5 and 1. And I could then form 6 different numbers (135,153,315,351,513,531) with those.

If I were you I would start off by thinking about how many different ways there are to choose three different things out of an array of 7 different things. "Seven choose three".

Then, you know that for any set of three, you can make 6 numbers, but you have to figure out how many of them are odd. Good luck.

L²Cc said:
What number do they speak of?

Oh. Yeah. They are probably talking about the *resulting* number (the three digit number). That is a very confusing way to word the problem. It is certainly vague.

Related to Solving the Odd 3-Digit Number Permutations

1. What are odd 3-digit number permutations?

Odd 3-digit number permutations refer to all the possible arrangements of the three digits (0-9) that result in an odd number. For example, the permutations of the digits 1, 2, and 3 would be 123, 132, 213, 231, 312, and 321.

2. Why is it important to solve odd 3-digit number permutations?

Solving odd 3-digit number permutations can be useful in various mathematical and scientific problems, such as probability calculations, coding and encryption, and data analysis. It is also a great exercise for improving logical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. How do you solve odd 3-digit number permutations?

There are several methods for solving odd 3-digit number permutations, but the most common one is using the factorial formula. This involves multiplying the number of digits (n) by one less than the number of digits (n-1), and so on until you reach 1. The formula can be written as n! = n x (n-1) x (n-2) x ... x 1.

4. What is the difference between odd and even 3-digit number permutations?

The main difference between odd and even 3-digit number permutations is that in odd permutations, the final digit must be an odd number, whereas in even permutations, the final digit must be an even number. This affects the total number of possible permutations, as there are more even numbers than odd numbers.

5. Can odd 3-digit number permutations be applied to other numbers?

Yes, the concept of finding permutations can be applied to any set of numbers or objects. The only difference would be the specific rules or conditions that need to be followed depending on the type of numbers or objects being permuted. For example, finding odd permutations of 4-digit numbers would involve a different set of rules compared to finding odd permutations of 3-digit numbers.