Solving the Selection Dilemma: Choosing a Committee of 5 from 6 Men and 7 Women

• Thread starter Diane Olive
  • Start date
In summary, given a club consisting of six men and seven women, a committee of five persons can be selected in 154,440 ways, or 13 X 12 X 11 X 10 X 9. However, selecting a committee of five persons with two men and three women is much more difficult, as there are 7! different ways to choose three from six.
Diane Olive
Given a club consisting of six men and seven women

a. In how many ways can we select a committee of five persons?

b. In how many ways can we select a committee of five persons with 2 ment and 3 women?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a very difficult problem.
None here at these forums will be able to solve it, unless YOU POST WHAT YOU HAVE DONE SO FAR!

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, it's not that difficult. But arildno is right that you must show an attempt ...

I guess people not showing work is making arildno crabby. Try to avoid this.

Absolutely, you wouldn't like arildno when he is angry!

I got it

I went to a study help session last night and was able to get the answer. I would really like to have help in understanding combination, permutation, and other related problems.

Here is what we came up with last night:

This is a fundamental counting principle: 13 X 12 X 11 X 10 X 9 = 154,440

I will find out today if I was right or not.

b. In how many ways can we select a committee of 5 persons with two men and 3 women?

This is 7 choose 3 times 6 choose 2 = 7! divided by 3! X 4! times 6! divided by 2! times 4!
when you simplify I get = 525

Diane Olive said:
Here is what we came up with last night:

This is a fundamental counting principle: 13 X 12 X 11 X 10 X 9 = 154,440

I will find out today if I was right or not.

b. In how many ways can we select a committee of 5 persons with two men and 3 women?

This is 7 choose 3 times 6 choose 2 = 7! divided by 3! X 4! times 6! divided by 2! times 4!
when you simplify I get = 525

Completely correct!
The binomial, [tex]\binom{7}{3}\equiv\frac{7!}{3!4!}[/tex] tells us that
i) There are 7! permutations of 7 women. When these women are divided into two groups, (those 3 to be in the committee and those 4 who don't), then there are 3!*4! different permutations of a particular choice.

Since permutations of a particular choice is irrelevant, we have to divide 7! with 3!4! to get the number of DISTINCT 3-committe groups of women. (i.e, 35)
The number of distinct women groups of 3 is then multiplied with the number of distinct men groups of 2 (15), yielding a total of 525 possible committee choices.

Last edited:
Part a) didn't go so well though. Just as arildno explained, the number of ways of picking 3 from 7 is [tex]\binom{7}{3}[/tex]. a) asks you to pick 5 from 13, why isn't the answer [tex]\binom{13}{5}[/tex]?

Oops, you are right!

it's not a difficult problem!

Related to Solving the Selection Dilemma: Choosing a Committee of 5 from 6 Men and 7 Women

1. How can I approach problem-solving in a systematic way?

One approach to systematic problem-solving is the scientific method. This involves identifying the problem, formulating a hypothesis, testing the hypothesis through experiments, analyzing the data, and drawing a conclusion. Other problem-solving techniques include brainstorming, breaking the problem into smaller parts, and seeking advice from others.

2. How can I improve my critical thinking skills to better solve problems?

Critical thinking skills can be improved through practice and by actively seeking out challenges and puzzles to solve. Engaging in activities that require logical reasoning, evaluating evidence, and considering multiple perspectives can also help improve critical thinking skills.

3. What are some common barriers to problem-solving and how can I overcome them?

Some common barriers to problem-solving include fear of failure, lack of motivation, and being stuck in a fixed mindset. To overcome these barriers, it can be helpful to break the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, seek out support and guidance from others, and approach the problem with a growth mindset, viewing failures as opportunities for learning and improvement.

4. How can I effectively communicate my problem-solving process and solutions to others?

To effectively communicate problem-solving processes and solutions, it is important to clearly articulate the problem, explain the steps taken to solve it, and provide evidence and reasoning for the chosen solution. Using visual aids, such as diagrams or charts, can also help make the problem-solving process and solution more understandable to others.

5. How can I continuously improve my problem-solving skills?

Continuous improvement of problem-solving skills can be achieved by seeking out new challenges and puzzles, learning from past problem-solving experiences, and actively seeking feedback and constructive criticism from others. It can also be helpful to regularly reflect on problem-solving processes and identify areas for improvement.