Solving Third Order ODE: Proving Single Solution?

• Thread starter scotlass
  • Start date
In summary, you solved your equation numerically by imposing a condition on y that allowed you to find a single solution.
scotlass
Hello, this is my first post so I am not familiar with how to write maths in here.

I have a third order ode of the form

y'''+A/y=0 where y=y(x) (A is just a constant) with well defined boundary conditions.

I believe there is no analytic solution to an ode of this form, but I can (by imposing a further condition) solve this numerically for y.

My question is this; I solve this numerically in Maple and one answer pops out. Is there any way I can easily prove this is the only real, non-negative solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't think of any way to answer your question because I can't imagine why you would "I believe there is no analytic solution to an ode of this form". It seems to me pretty obvious that there exist a solution as long as the boundary conditions do not require y= 0. Perhaps you could explain a little more exactly what you mean.

You don't say WHAT boundary conditions you have. Whether or not a boundary value problem has a unique solution depends strongly on the boundary conditions themselves.

For example, the problem y"+ y= 0, with boundary conditions, y(0)= 0, y(1)= 0 has a unique solution. The same equation with boundary conditions y(0)= 0, [itex]y(\pi)= 1[/itex] has no solution. The same equation with boundary conditions y(0)= 0, [itex]y(\pi)= 0[/itex] has an infinite number of solutions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply,

my bcs are y(-1)=0, y(1)=0, y'(-1)=beta1, y'(1)=(beta1^2+4A)^(1/2) and y must also satisfy (integral y dx, x=-1..1)=2/3.

I have a third order ode, 2 unknowns and 5 conditions so I have enough for a solution.

This does mean y''' is singular at x=-1, 1 but that is ok.

As far as I can see this cannot be solved analytically, but I can find one numerical solution, can I know there are no other solutions that are everywhere real and positive?

Hm. All I can think of is that your equation may be derived from

[tex]y y^{\prime \prime} + A x + B - \frac{y^{\prime 2}}{2} = 0[/tex]

where B is a constant. But

[tex]y y^{\prime \prime} - \frac{y^{\prime 2}}{2} = 2 y^{\frac{3}{2}} (\sqrt{y})^{\prime \prime}[/tex]

Therefore you can re-write your equation

[tex]u^{\prime \prime} + \frac{Ax + B}{2 u^{ 3}} = 0[/tex]

with the substitution [tex]u = \sqrt{y}[/tex]

...and with a suitable sub for x, you should get a standard Emden-Fowler equation. See here. (EqWorld)

Last edited:

Related to Solving Third Order ODE: Proving Single Solution?

1. What is a third order differential equation?

A third order differential equation is an equation that involves third derivatives of a function. It can be written in the form of y''' = f(x,y,y',y'') where y represents the dependent variable and x represents the independent variable.

2. How do you solve a third order differential equation?

To solve a third order differential equation, you need to find the general solution by integrating the equation three times. Then, you can use initial conditions to find the particular solution.

3. What is a single solution for a third order differential equation?

A single solution for a third order differential equation is a solution that satisfies the equation and its initial conditions. It is unique and represents the specific solution to the problem.

4. How do you prove that a solution to a third order differential equation is single?

To prove that a solution to a third order differential equation is single, you can use the existence and uniqueness theorem for differential equations. This theorem states that if a differential equation satisfies certain conditions, then it has a unique solution.

5. What are some techniques for solving third order differential equations?

Some techniques for solving third order differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, and using the method of undetermined coefficients. You can also use computer software to solve more complex third order differential equations.