Solving Uncertainty in Lab Report Calculation

• Thread starter AstroKeith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uncertainty
In summary, when expressing the uncertainty of a calculation, it is important to consider the significant figures and use proper notation. In this case, the uncertainty can be expressed as ± 0.03×10-4 m3 or (4.76 ± 0.03) × 10-4 m3.
AstroKeith
Hello, I am working on a lab report and am unsure about how to express the uncertainty of one of my calculations.

I am calculating the volume of a cylindrical disk with
height = 0.0258 ± 0.0001 m
radius = 0.0767 ± 0.0002m
Using V=π(r^2)h and the upper/lower bound method, I find:
V= 0.000476205
Uncertainty = ± 0.00000309393
V =4.76⋅10^-4 ± 3.09⋅10^-6

How would I properly express this uncertainty since it is out more decimal places than my answer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AstroKeith said:
V =4.76⋅10^-4 ± 3.09⋅10^-6

How would I properly express this uncertainty since it is out more decimal places than my answer?
I would use
V = 4.76×10-4 ± 0.03×10-4 m3
or (even better in my opinion)
V = (4.76 ± 0.03) × 10-4 m3

1. What is uncertainty in lab report calculation?

Uncertainty in lab report calculation is the range of possible values that a measurement or calculation could have due to errors or limitations in the experimental process. It represents the level of confidence we have in the reported result.

2. How is uncertainty calculated in a lab report?

Uncertainty is calculated by considering the potential sources of error in the experiment and estimating their impact on the final result. This can be done through statistical analysis, using instrument precision and accuracy, and considering human error.

3. Why is it important to report uncertainty in lab calculations?

Reporting uncertainty is important because it provides a more accurate representation of the experimental results. It allows for a better understanding of the limitations and potential errors in the data, and allows for proper interpretation and comparison with other studies.

4. How can uncertainty be reduced in lab report calculations?

Uncertainty can be reduced by improving the precision and accuracy of the instruments used in the experiment, minimizing sources of error, and increasing the number of measurements taken. Proper calibration and careful experimental design can also help to reduce uncertainty.

5. Can uncertainty ever be completely eliminated in lab report calculations?

No, uncertainty can never be completely eliminated because there will always be some level of error or limitation in any experimental process. However, it can be minimized to a negligible level through careful and thorough experimental design and execution.