Solve y=x^x for x: Logarithmic Equations

• Thread starter Izzhov
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about trying to solve the equation y=x^x for x as a function of y. The attempt at a solution involved taking the natural logarithm of both sides and using the Lambert W function to solve for x. It was also mentioned that the Lambert W function is the inverse of x* e^x, not x^x. The solution for x was given as x=exp[W[ln[y]]], with some conditions for its validity.
Izzhov
Problem:
I'm trying to figure out how to solve [tex]y=x^x[/tex] for x as a function of y.

Related Equations:
[tex]\log_n a^b=b \ast \log_n a[/tex]

Attempt at Solution:
I took the natural logarithm of both sides and got: [tex]\ln y=x \ast \ln x[/tex] I don't really have any idea where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about plotting both sides...

Remember that the [tex] \ln(x) [/tex] is nonsense for [tex] x \leq 0 [/tex].

Dr Transport said:
How about plotting both sides...

Remember that the [tex] \ln(x) [/tex] is nonsense for [tex] x \leq 0 [/tex].

Uh... by plot, do you mean graph? I'm not trying to find where the graphs intersect or anything... I'm just trying to change the equation from [tex]y=f(x)[/tex] to [tex]x=f(y)[/tex]

Last edited:
You mean to say that [tex]x^x[/tex] has no inverse that can be defined in terms of elementary functions? Then what about using calculus? Can it be defined then?

Depends upon what you mean by "using Calculus". The inverse of y= xx is the "Lambert W function".

By "using calculus," I mean, for example, defining the function with sigma notation, the derivative of something, etc. Here's a good example: the indefinite integral [tex] \int x^x dx [/tex] can not be defined in terms of elementary functions, but can be defined as the indefinite integral of [tex] x^x [/tex] So, what I'm asking is, can the inverse of [tex] x^x [/tex] be defined in terms of elementary functions as well as indefinite integrals, series, sums (i.e. sigma notation), derivatives, and so on?

I did some research on the "Lambert W function," and it's not the inverse of [tex]x^x[/tex]. It's the inverse of [tex]x \ast e^x[/tex].

Nchimy

Solving y=x^x for x does have a solution in terms of Lambert W Function. Although this reply may have come late, one could still make use of it later.

To make the problem easy, let's assume that x and y are real. Then we can proceed as follows:

If y = x^x, ...(1)

then since we also have

x = exp[ln[x]], ...(2)

we may conviniently express (1) as

y=x^exp[ln[x]]. ...(3)

Now, taking logs on both sides of (3) (and noting that ln[d^c]=cln[d]) gives

ln[y] = ln[x] * exp[ln[x]] ... (4).

Imediately, we see that (4) can be solved for ln[x], using Lambert W Function, as

ln[x] = W[ln[y]] ... (5)

so that

x = exp[W[ln[y]]] ... (6) .

The solution in (6) is valid for y > 0 because ln[y] for real values of y makes sense only within this range. From (6) (and taking note that W[0]=1while W[e] =1) we see that

(a) x = 0 when y = 1,
(b) x = 1 when y = e
(c) x is only real when ln[y] >= -(1/e) (or equivalently x is real for y >= exp[-(1/e)) but complex and multivalued otherwise.
(d) x increases monotonically with increasing value of y.
(e) The exists a taylor series expansion of x, about ln[y]=0, with a radius of converges equal to -(1/e).

For more details on th Lambert W function, please refer to Corless R M et al, “On the Lambert W function”, Adv. Comput. Math, Vol. 5, pp.329-359.

Cheers...

Last edited:

1. What is a logarithmic equation?

A logarithmic equation is an equation in which one or more of the variables appears as an exponent. It can be solved by taking the logarithm of both sides of the equation.

2. How do I solve y=x^x for x?

To solve this equation, you can take the logarithm of both sides with base x. This will result in the equation logx(y) = x. Then, you can use algebraic methods to solve for x.

3. Can I use any base for the logarithm in this equation?

Yes, you can use any base for the logarithm in this equation. However, it is recommended to use a base that is convenient for solving the equation, such as base 10 or base e.

4. What is the solution to y=x^x?

The solution to y=x^x is x = logx(y), where logx represents the logarithm with base x.

5. Are there any restrictions to the values of x and y in this equation?

Yes, there are some restrictions to the values of x and y in this equation. For the equation to have a real solution, x must be a positive real number and y must be a positive real number greater than or equal to 1.