Somali Pirates and the Navy

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The problem is you can't pirate, extort, or otherwise steal an honest living or its not honest. Paying people off because it's the cheapest solution only encourages a sense that crime pays. I also don't think piracy is a non-exploitative labor market. In other words, I think that people who do the actual work of taking the risk of pirating the boats are probably working for/with someone else who stays out of harm's way. So when you pay off the pirates not to pirate, basically, you're providing an incentive for them to send some young people out there as often as it takes to keep the payoff money coming in.

These people need a more honest economy so they don't have to engage in piracy or theft for money.
I was only pointing out the irony of mgb_phy's post because you didn't appear to get it.

I was only pointing out the irony of mgb_phy's post because you didn't appear to get it.
Thanks, I didn't get it at first. I thought he was just getting irritated because he thinks that paying people off to remain peaceful is the best solution. That solution irritates me because peace that has to be bribed is extortion by threat of violence.