Some confusion between radiation and conduction

In summary, the conversation discusses how pouring hot water into a metal container causes the inside surface of the container to get hot due to conduction, but it is uncertain if radiation is also involved. The experts in the conversation explain that radiation is always present, but is often negligible in cases of heat transfer through metal or air at temperatures below several hundred degrees. They also provide an example of a bunsen flame touching a metal rod and discuss the transfer process between the two. They calculate the heat flux from radiation and compare it to convection, concluding that radiation is not the dominant mechanism for temperature differences less than a hundred degrees.
klng
"I pour hot water into a metal container. The inside surface of the container gets hot."

It is quite clear the inside surface gets hot due to conduction (criteria of process is satisfied).

What i am not so sure about is whether radiation is involved. Theory and some gut instinct tells me there should be. But if this were the case, then won't radiation be present (though it may not be the doninant process however) in all thermal applications which involve conduction as well?

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Science news on Phys.org
Is the container made out of uranium lol?

magpies said:
Is the container made out of uranium lol?

king is referring to electromagnetic radiation, which includes visible light, infrared, etc., and which is a valid mechanism of heat transfer. Yes, radiative heat transfer is always present, though it can be assumed to be negligible in many situations. It's generally negligible for the cases of heat transfer through metal or heat transfer through air between objects at less than several hundred °C, for example.

Hi Magpes,

Thanks for the reply.

I can understand why you said radiation through metals is negligible, as there are many mobile electroons which will make conduction the predominant process.

But i can't fully understand why radiation through air is negligible if the temp is less than several hundred degC. Is there a benchmark temp when radiation becomes significant?

Also take a look at the following example:
A bunsen flame is applied at one end of a metal rod. Note the flame is directly touching the metal rod (ie no air space between flame and the rod). Is the main transfer process between flame and metal rod conduction or radiation?

Had there been an air space in between,we can argue it is radiation, since air is a bad conductor of heat. But w/o the air space, it gets kinda puzzling. But if i were to make a bet, i will still bet my money on radiation.

(",)

klng said:
But i can't fully understand why radiation through air is negligible if the temp is less than several hundred degC. Is there a benchmark temp when radiation becomes significant?

It's something you can calculate: the heat flux from radiation is [itex]\sigma \epsilon (T^4-T^4_\infty[/itex]), where [itex]\sigma=5.67\times 10^{-8}[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is the emissivity. Compare to convection, [itex]h(T-T_\infty)[/itex], where the convection coefficient can be around 10 W m-2 K-1 for natural convection or much higher for forced convection. I shouldn't have said negligible, though; let's say instead that radiation isn't the dominant mechanism for temperature differences less than a hundred degrees.

What is the difference between radiation and conduction?

Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves, while conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between molecules.

Which method of heat transfer is more efficient?

Conduction is generally more efficient than radiation, as it allows for direct transfer of heat without any loss.

How does radiation and conduction affect temperature?

Radiation causes an increase in temperature, while conduction can lead to both an increase or decrease in temperature depending on the materials involved.

Can radiation and conduction be controlled or manipulated?

Both radiation and conduction can be controlled and manipulated through various methods such as insulation, reflective surfaces, and controlled exposure to different materials.

What are some real-life examples of radiation and conduction?

Examples of radiation include the warmth felt from the sun, microwaves, and infrared heat lamps. Examples of conduction include holding a hot cup of coffee, cooking on a stove, and using a heating pad.