1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some Help With My Ticker-Timer Experiment

1. Oct 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, I recently preformed a ticker timer experiment in my grade 11 physics class, and I seem to be having a bit of trouble with the assignment.

Our results were recorded as follows.

Time (s)|Distance (cm)
    0|0
    0.1|6.15
    0.2|21.35
    0.3|43.15
    0.4|71.55

I am supposed to create a d-t graph which I have done, and then create a v-t graph and a-t graph. I am having troubles getting from the d-t graph to the v-t graph. I am aware of using the tangents of each points, but I cannot seem to do this correctly, as my results are always incorrect. So I need to find a way to find the instantaneous velocity for each time segment, that way I can plot the v-t graph.

2. Relevant equations

I am not positive which equations can be used, other than the tangent method, but as I previously stated, I am doing this incorrectly and would greatly prefer an equation (if possible) for the instantaneous speed.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried finding the instantaneous velocity by using v = d/t (for example, v = 6.15/.1) but this does not work either because when plotted, the graph is always a curve.

Also, if I were to calculate the acceleration from my results. Would I calculate the average velocity, then divide that by t2 - t1?

Thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated. Also, I am sorry if I used the template incorrectly, this is my first time posting here.

-Adam

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Hi Adam SE, welcome to PF.
    You have to draw the tangent at every point very accurately to get the correct v-t graph.
    If you are able to post, do so.

4. Oct 14, 2009 #3
    Thank you for the response, it is appreciated.

A problem I am having is accuracy, but the biggest problem I have is knowing when to stop the tangent. Do I stop it at the next time segment/axis, or do I stop it until it is enough to measure?

-Adam

5. Oct 14, 2009 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Draw until it touches the x-axis. Draw a perpendicular from the point to the x-axis and then find tanθ

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook