Some help with quantum mechanics?

In summary: For the left side, the boundary condition is that the wave function is zero when x=0. This means you need to find k such that K = -a/2For the center region, the boundary condition is that the wave function is cos(kx) when x=0. This means you need to find k such that K = 2Acos(kx)For the right side, the boundary condition is that the wave function is 0 when x=a. This means you need to find k such that K = 0
Arbitrationer

Homework Statement

Hi everyone. This is my first time on her so I hope I make what I'm looking for clear!

The question in the book says,

If V(x) = ∞, x<0 ; -Vo, 0 < x < a ; 0, x > a

Solve the schrodinger equation for E < 0 inside and outside the well. Apply the boundary conditions at x = 0 and x = a to obtain and equation that determines the allowed values of E.
[/B]

Homework Equations

We just finished going over Finite Potential Wells. Inside the book and in class, we went over the simple case where:

V(x) = 0, -a/2 < x < a/2
V(x) = Vo, elsewhere

I think I get this. We came to the conclusion that, for one case,

ψ(x) = Ceκx for the region to the left (the, what we called in class, "classically forbidden region" (CF)), 2Acos(kx) for the center region (classically allowed (CA)) and Ce-κx for the region to the right (CF)

and for the other case:

ψ(x) = Ceκx (CF), 2iAsin(kx) (CA), -Ce-κx (CF)

Where A and C are just the constants obtained from solving the differential equation once V(x) is plugged into the Schrodinger Equation, and k is different from κ.

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I wish I could say that I made an attempt. I am really confused on where to begin. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Arbitrationer said:

Homework Statement

Hi everyone. This is my first time on her so I hope I make what I'm looking for clear!

The question in the book says,

If V(x) = ∞, x<0 ; -Vo, 0 < x < a ; 0, x > a

Solve the schrodinger equation for E < 0 inside and outside the well. Apply the boundary conditions at x = 0 and x = a to obtain and equation that determines the allowed values of E.
[/B]

Homework Equations

We just finished going over Finite Potential Wells. Inside the book and in class, we went over the simple case where:

V(x) = 0, -a/2 < x < a/2
V(x) = Vo, elsewhere

I think I get this. We came to the conclusion that, for one case,

ψ(x) = Ceκx for the region to the left (the, what we called in class, "classically forbidden region" (CF)), 2Acos(kx) for the center region (classically allowed (CA)) and Ce-κx for the region to the right (CF)

and for the other case:

ψ(x) = Ceκx (CF), 2iAsin(kx) (CA), -Ce-κx (CF)

Where A and C are just the constants obtained from solving the differential equation once V(x) is plugged into the Schrodinger Equation, and k is different from κ.

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I wish I could say that I made an attempt. I am really confused on where to begin. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
You can start by understanding how the form of the wave function was derived for each region. You're going to take the same basic approach for the current problem.

Find k and K by replacing the solutions back into the Schroedinger equation.
The general solution in the potential well is a linear combination of sin(kx) and cos (kx). Apply the boundary conditions to find the relations among the constants. What are the boundary conditions?

Likes vanhees71

Related to Some help with quantum mechanics?

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior and interactions of particles on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how these particles behave and interact with each other through mathematical equations and principles.

2. How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Quantum mechanics differs from classical mechanics in that it takes into account the wave-like properties of particles, rather than treating them as solid, classical objects. It also allows for particles to exist in multiple states simultaneously, unlike classical mechanics which only allows for one state at a time.

3. What is the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with complete accuracy at the same time. This is due to the wave-like nature of particles and the limitations of measurement tools.

4. How is quantum mechanics applied in technology?

Quantum mechanics has numerous applications in technology, such as in the development of transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It also plays a crucial role in cryptography and quantum computing.

5. What are some of the key principles of quantum mechanics?

Some key principles of quantum mechanics include superposition, which states that particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously, and entanglement, which describes how particles can be connected and influence each other even when separated by large distances. Other principles include wave-particle duality, quantization, and the probabilistic nature of particle behavior.