Some questions concerning asymptotic expansions of integrals

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter iccanobif
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integrals
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
iccanobif
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I've started self-teaching asymptotic methods, and I have some theoretic questions (and lots of doubts!).

1. Say I have the asymptotic expansion

[itex]f(x) \asymp \alpha \sum_n a_n x^{-n}[/itex]

for [itex]x[/itex] large, where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is some prefactor.

How can I estimate the value of [itex]n[/itex] for the term of least magnitude?

2. Suppose I have the integral

[itex]I(\lambda) = \int_{a}^{b} f(t) \exp{(i\lambda \phi(t))} dt[/itex],

for [itex]\lambda[/itex] large.
In the stationary phase method, if the function [itex]\phi(t)[/itex] has no stationary point in the interval [itex][a,b][/itex], am I wrong to believe that then [itex]I(\lambda)[/itex] is small beyond all orders (as the rapid oscillations of the phase imply cancellations)? How to formally derive the order of magnitude of [itex]I(\lambda)[/itex]?


Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Two ways that come to mind are
  • If an is defined explicitly, then treat n as if it were a continuous variable and use normal calculus methods to find the minima and maxima of anx-n.
  • Or, solve for n:
    anx-n = an+1x-(n+1)

2. You're correct that the integral would be small. Somebody else will have to chime in on how to figure out the order of magnitude.