Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Some questions concerning asymptotic expansions of integrals

1. Mar 24, 2012 #1
    I've started self-teaching asymptotic methods, and I have some theoretic questions (and lots of doubts!).

1. Say I have the asymptotic expansion

[itex]f(x) \asymp \alpha \sum_n a_n x^{-n}[/itex]

for [itex]x[/itex] large, where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is some prefactor.

How can I estimate the value of [itex]n[/itex] for the term of least magnitude?

2. Suppose I have the integral

[itex]I(\lambda) = \int_{a}^{b} f(t) \exp{(i\lambda \phi(t))} dt [/itex],

for [itex]\lambda[/itex] large.
    In the stationary phase method, if the function [itex]\phi(t)[/itex] has no stationary point in the interval [itex][a,b][/itex], am I wrong to believe that then [itex]I(\lambda)[/itex] is small beyond all orders (as the rapid oscillations of the phase imply cancellations)? How to formally derive the order of magnitude of [itex]I(\lambda)[/itex]?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2012 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1. Two ways that come to mind are
    • If an is defined explicitly, then treat n as if it were a continuous variable and use normal calculus methods to find the minima and maxima of anx-n.

• Or, solve for n:
      anx-n = an+1x-(n+1)

2. You're correct that the integral would be small. Somebody else will have to chime in on how to figure out the order of magnitude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook