Integration : Mapping Smoothly (-inf, 2] to [0.1,0.9]

In summary, the speaker is looking for a way to change variables in an integral to move it from the range of (-inf, Lambda) to (0.1, 0.9) without introducing any poor behavior. They are wondering if there is a standard practice for this, similar to mapping to a unit cube or square. The integral in question is shown and it includes a generic polynomial or unknown smooth function. The speaker suggests using a variable transformation of u = (0.8/Λ)x + 0.1 as a potential solution.
Hepth
Gold Member
I have an Integral that is convergent over the range (-inf, Lambda) where 0< Lambda < 1.

I need to change variables to move this to (0.1, 0.9) in such a way that I do not introduce any poor behavior, such as asymptotes or discontinuities as it needs to be well behaved.

Is there a standard practice for this, like when mapping to unit cube/square?

The integral is like :

## \int_{-\infty}^{\Lambda} e^{3 x} (\Lambda - x)^3 P[x] dx ##

where P[x] is some generic polynomial or unknown smooth function.

Thanks for your help!

-Hepth

EDIT :
I guess I can just use something like
## \Lambda + \frac{(t-\text{tp})}{t-\text{tm}}##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try [itex]u=\frac{0.8}{\Lambda x}+0.1[/itex].

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller, simpler parts.

What is meant by "mapping smoothly"?

Mapping smoothly means that the function being integrated is continuous and has no abrupt changes or breaks in the curve.

What is the significance of the interval (-inf, 2] and [0.1,0.9] in this integration?

The interval (-inf, 2] represents the lower limit of the curve being integrated, while [0.1,0.9] represents the upper limit. This means that the integration is being performed on the curve between -infinity and 2, and the resulting area will fall between 0.1 and 0.9.

Why is it important to specify the interval for integration?

Specifying the interval is important because it determines the range of values for which the integration will be performed. This ensures that the correct area under the curve is calculated and that the integration is not extended beyond the desired range.

What are some real-world applications of integration?

Integration is used in a variety of fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It is commonly used to calculate areas, volumes, and other quantities in real-world situations, such as measuring the displacement of an object over time or finding the total revenue of a company over a specific period.