Some questions from a numerical analysis book

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of root-finding algorithms and how they are used in numerical methods. It also touches on topics such as numerical differentiation and partial differential equations. The conversation ends with an example of how derivatives are used in Newton's second law and Hooke's Law to solve differential equations.
awholenumber
Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Can't find what this is about ...

Likes DrClaude
rosekidcute said:
Are all these called root finding algorithms? All of it ?
This is a 300 page book. You will have to specify what you are talking about.

for example , for a polynomial ,

a solution of a polynomial equation is also called a root of the polynomial .

a value for the variable that makes the polynomial zero

if you can't find an exact expression, then you can use numerical methods to get approximations .

with numerical methods you can choose how close to zero you want, and it will give you a value that's at least that close

Are we trying to find the roots with all these types of numerical methods ? or is it called finding something else ?

Generally speaking, a numerical algorithm that allows you to solve a problem of the type ##\mathbf{F}(\mathbf{x}) = 0## is indeed called a root-finding algorithm.

So what are we trying to do when we use numerical differentiation ? I don't think its called root finding ? is it ?

rosekidcute said:
So what are we trying to do when we use numerical differentiation ? I don't think its called root finding ? is it ?
No, it is called numerical differentiation.

Likes BvU
OK , thanks

A book on Numerical Analysis typically discusses techniques for solving equations, finding derivatives numerically, and calculating integrals numerically. It might also discuss techniques for finding matrix inverses, finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors of matrices, and other topics.

Likes awholenumber and fresh_42
Thanks

Really, though, @rosiekidcute, if you're struggling with basic concepts like fractions, factoring, and trig (as in recent threads), it's not very likely that you will understand topics in numerical analysis or partial differential equation.

I keep thinking of naturally occurring things whenever i think of derivatives , differential equations and partial differential equations .Like electricity , magnetic field .
I am always like if there is a derivative in a differential equation , how could have that happened ? what could have made it like that . Maybe i should stop thinking about it that way .Its just some rules , Maybe its my lack of experience .

rosekidcute said:
I keep thinking of naturally occurring things whenever i think of derivatives , differential equations and partial differential equations .Like electricity , magnetic field .
I am always like if there is a derivative in a differential equation , how could have that happened ? what could have made it like that .
No need to invoke electricity or magnetism. Consider Newton's second law for an object with a fixed mass: F=ma. Force equals mass times acceleration.

That acceleration is a the first derivative of velocity. ##F=m \frac{dv}{dt}##.
That velocity is the first derivative of position. ##F = m \frac{d^2x}{dt^2}##.
If we are dealing with a mass on a spring, that force is also given by Hooke's Law: F = -kx.
So we have ##-kx = m \frac{d^2x}{dt^2}##

That's a differential equation. (A second order homogeneous linear differential equation. There is a straightforward crank-and-grind approach to solving those).

Last edited:
Thanks ,

function.png

Same things right ?

Right , sorry about that .

1. What is numerical analysis?

Numerical analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the development, analysis, and implementation of algorithms for solving mathematical problems using numerical approximations and methods. It involves using computers to solve complex mathematical problems that cannot be solved analytically.

2. Why is numerical analysis important?

Numerical analysis is important because it allows us to solve complex mathematical problems that would be impossible to solve with traditional analytical methods. It also plays a crucial role in many scientific and engineering fields, such as physics, economics, and computer graphics.

3. What are some common applications of numerical analysis?

Numerical analysis has a wide range of applications, including solving differential equations, optimization problems, and statistical analysis. It is also used in the development of computer graphics, financial modeling, and weather forecasting.

4. What are some common numerical methods used in numerical analysis?

Some common numerical methods used in numerical analysis include root-finding methods, interpolation methods, numerical integration, and solving differential equations using finite difference methods. Other methods include linear and nonlinear least squares, optimization algorithms, and Monte Carlo simulations.

5. How is numerical analysis different from other branches of mathematics?

Numerical analysis differs from other branches of mathematics in that it focuses on solving mathematical problems using numerical approximations instead of exact solutions. It also involves using computers to perform calculations, whereas other branches of mathematics may rely on pen-and-paper methods. Additionally, numerical analysis often deals with problems that are too complex or impractical to solve analytically.