Somewhere to learn the whole quantum easier?

• Thread starter 1832vin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary, the individual has spent 1.5 years trying to understand advanced physics theories and concepts, but has struggled due to the heavy use of mathematics in the textbooks. They are seeking simplified versions or a more intuitive approach to learning physics, but are also open to recommendations for rigorous physics texts that focus on developing physical intuition. They clarify that they understand the math, but are looking for a balance between the explanations of equations and the underlying physics concepts. They also mention watching videos on physics book recommendations as a potential resource. Lastly, they express that they may benefit from a tutor and are open to providing a list of books they have tried and their learning style for further assistance.
1832vin
to say the truth, for the past 1.5 years, i have been reading a lot of theories and books trying to understand and learn the whole farce (like spin, string, general&special relativity etc etc..)
and what i got is only the basics of the basics..
why? because the books are all filled with maths, and equations...
and maths in physics are the part that i hate maths (i actually love maths, mostly the geometery part though.. and I'm reading these for hobby)
so... are there like simplified versions that i can read?
bare in mind that i have read the stuff and understood them, just that mostly was maths that i forgot (but i love theory physics... THEORY)
so yeah, help? i feel like a wasted 2 years of my life...
i'm currently watching this scienceu.com thingy... it's going not too bad, but it's still maths...

Physics news on Phys.org
Maths is the language of physics - what you appear to want, a non-math way of understanding advanced physics, is not possible.

There is no royal road to knowledge - you just have to learn the stuff.

Since you hate maths, this is the book for you: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0198520115/?tag=pfamazon01-20

(Just kidding)

As Simon said, you cannot avoid the maths. Physics without maths is just philosophy so may be you would be more interested in philosophy than physics.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, i might have described it wrongly, it's not that i don't want there to be no maths, because they would help jog my memory, but this time, i would like a more worded/visual approach, they can be the smae amount of equations in the book, but this time, i don't need them to explain the equation in relation of the topic and demonstrate how it works, i just want it to be less explaining of the equations because i know them already

I think these videos on physics book recommendations might help you:

I think you are looking for books that teach physics intuitively rather than mathematically. The guy in the videos also likes books that approach physics at an intuitive level so his recommendations might be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
1832vin:

Are you asking for a rigorous physics text that shows the equations but dedicates time to developing the physical intuition behind the equation as opposed to explaining the actual mathematics of the equation? It seems to me you are saying you understand the math well, but the texts you have read spent a lot of time developing the mathematics and not as much time describing the physics behind the equations.

Is this correct?

ActionPotential said:
1832vin:

Are you asking for a rigorous physics text that shows the equations but dedicates time to developing the physical intuition behind the equation as opposed to explaining the actual mathematics of the equation? It seems to me you are saying you understand the math well, but the texts you have read spent a lot of time developing the mathematics and not as much time describing the physics behind the equations.

Is this correct?

yes! sorry for the hassel, I'm just not good at describing myself... so yeah, that the thing about the books that i read, they explain on the equations more than the physics behind it

The equations describe the physics. Physicists use maths as a language.
Doing the same thing in words would make a half-page derivation occupy a whole chapter and still leave room for misunderstandings because words are more vague.

Developing an intuition about the physics is what some people call "getting a feel for" the subject.
That comes with practice, and experimentation.

But there are texts at the more basic levels that spemd more time using analogies to help students over the maths.

Perhaps you can give us a list of the books you have tried that were too mathy for you?
If some were better for you than others, please indicate which ones.
This will give us a sense of your learning style.

However, you may need a tutor to guide you - especially if you are mostly self-learning.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It explains the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy on a small scale.

2. Why is it important to learn quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is important because it provides the foundation for understanding many modern technologies, such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as chemistry, biology, and materials science.

3. Is quantum mechanics difficult to learn?

Quantum mechanics can be challenging to understand, as it involves complex mathematical concepts and abstract principles. However, with dedication and practice, it is possible to grasp the fundamental ideas and applications of quantum mechanics.

4. How can I learn quantum mechanics more easily?

To learn quantum mechanics more easily, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. It can also be helpful to seek out resources such as textbooks, online courses, and lectures from experts in the field. Practice and patience are key to mastering this complex subject.

5. Are there any real-life applications of quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of quantum mechanics. Some examples include transistors in electronic devices, MRI machines in healthcare, and encryption in secure communication. Research in quantum mechanics also continues to drive advancements in technology and science.