Source for a coordinate-based formula for Gauss from Riemann

In summary, the speaker is looking for a professionally published journal or textbook source that provides a formula for the Gaussian curvature at a single point of an intrinsically defined Riemannian or Semi-Riemannian manifold, using the intrinsic metric tensor and/or Riemann tensor. They specify that the formula should be in traditional debauch-of-indices Ricci-style and should not use coordinate-free notation or methods. This is for a computational approach and the manifold will already have specific charts in place for the use of the algorithm.
The Bill
I need a citeable source that gives the formula for the Gaussian curvature at a single point of an intrinsically defined Riemannian or Semi-Riemannian manifold given the intrinsic metric tensor and/or Riemann tensor.

I've got sources for this already, but I'm not "allowed" to use them for this, I need a professionally published journal/textbook source for a citation.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, I'm not familiar with the gamma-curly braces function the author is applying to the line element. And second, any formula that uses the line element isn't relevant to this thread. I suppose I didn't make it clear, but I'm looking for any variant of a formula in traditional debauch-of-indices Ricci-style. That's what I meant by coordinate-based in the title. Not using coordinate-free notation or methods at all.

This is for a computational approach, too be read by people who just want to see the math they need to write an algorithm to crunch numbers with, nothing more. The manifold will be defined with specific choices of charts already there for the use of the algorithm, so coordinate-free methods are unnecessary.

1. What is the Gauss formula and how is it related to Riemann?

The Gauss formula is a mathematical formula used to calculate the curvature of a surface at a specific point. It is closely related to Riemann's formula, which is used to calculate the curvature of a surface at any point along a given curve. Both formulas are important in the field of differential geometry.

2. How is the Gauss formula derived from Riemann's formula?

The Gauss formula is derived from Riemann's formula by considering the curvature of a surface at a single point instead of along a curve. It involves taking the first and second derivatives of the surface at that point and using them to calculate the curvature.

3. Is the Gauss formula only applicable to 2-dimensional surfaces?

No, the Gauss formula can be applied to surfaces of any dimension. However, it is most commonly used in 2-dimensional surfaces because it is easier to visualize and calculate.

4. What is the significance of the Gauss formula in mathematics?

The Gauss formula is significant in mathematics because it provides a way to measure the curvature of a surface at a specific point. This is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

5. Can the Gauss formula be used in practical applications?

Yes, the Gauss formula has many practical applications. It is commonly used in computer graphics to create realistic 3-dimensional surfaces, and it is also used in physics and engineering to analyze the curvature of objects and surfaces.