Source of light in Michelson-Morley experiment

In summary, Michelson and Morley used a lamp to produce light of a specific wavelength, and used this light to measure the speed of light in different directions. They also used a Mathven screen to increase fringe visibility.
nikolafmf
Hi

I wonder if anyone can tell me what was the source of light Michelson and Morley used when they did the experiment(s) to measure the (difference of) speed of light in different directions? And can it be done with sunlight? Young observed interference patterns with sunlight in 1801 in double-slit experiments. Nikola

Science news on Phys.org
https://www.aip.org/history/exhibits/gap/Michelson/Michelson.html#michelson1

Zz.

Michelson was not determining the speed of light he was determining the effects of the ether drift (wind) of Fresnel's optical ether, composed of matter (Michelson, p. 120) (Michelson-Morley, p. 334).

ZapperZ said:
https://www.aip.org/history/exhibits/gap/Michelson/Michelson.html#michelson1

Zz.

Thank you very much.

As far as I can see, he uses the wavelength of yellow light in his calculations, but doesn't' state what is the source of light?

carl susumu said:
Michelson was not determining the speed of light he was determining the effects of the ether drift (wind) of Fresnel's optical ether, composed of matter (Michelson, p. 120) (Michelson-Morley, p. 334).

I see, it was my mistake. He was determining the relative speed between the ether and the Earth, as far as I can see. So he found that it should be much less than Earth's orbital speed.

Yes, I'd never heard of an argand burner before.
As far as I can see he does not say what the source of his sodium light was. Perhaps he just put some salt in the flame? Since it seems he then returned to using white light for the measurements, some such temporary expedient seems plausible.

nikolafmf said:
Thank you very much.

As far as I can see, he uses the wavelength of yellow light in his calculations, but doesn't' state what is the source of light?

As best I can tell, salt crystals could be burned in the lamp- Sodium produces a bright yellow light from the Sodium D lines, which were known at least since Fraunhofer. The lamp was probably also outfitted with a slit (Mathven screen?) to increase fringe visibility.

What is the source of light in the Michelson-Morley experiment?

The source of light in the Michelson-Morley experiment is a beam of monochromatic light, typically from a sodium or mercury lamp.

Why is a monochromatic light source used in the Michelson-Morley experiment?

A monochromatic light source is used in the Michelson-Morley experiment because it produces light of a single wavelength, making it easier to accurately measure any changes in the speed of light.

How does the Michelson-Morley experiment use a beam splitter to produce interference patterns?

The Michelson-Morley experiment uses a beam splitter, which splits the beam of light into two paths that travel perpendicular to each other. These two paths are then recombined, creating an interference pattern that is used to measure the speed of light.

Why was the speed of light measured in different directions in the Michelson-Morley experiment?

The Michelson-Morley experiment measured the speed of light in different directions in order to detect any potential differences in its speed caused by the Earth's motion through the hypothetical "ether" medium.

What was the significance of the null result in the Michelson-Morley experiment?

The null result of the Michelson-Morley experiment was significant because it disproved the existence of the luminiferous ether and supported Einstein's theory of special relativity, which states that the speed of light is constant and independent of the observer's frame of reference.