1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Space-like and time-like vectors

1. Dec 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove the following:

a) If ##P^a## is time-like and ##P^{a}S_{a}=0##, then ##S^{a}## is space-like.

b) If ##P^a## is null and ##P^{a}S^{a}=0##, then ##S_{a}## is space-like or ##S^{a} \propto P^{a}##.

2. Relevant equations

Using the 'mostly minus' convention, ##A^a## is time-like, null and space-like if ##A^{a}A_{a}## is ##>0,=0, <0## respectively.

3. The attempt at a solution

a) ##S^{a}S_{a} = S^{a}S_{a} + P^{a}S_{a} = (S^{a} + P^{a})S_{a} = (S^{a} + P^{a})(S_{a} + P_{a}) = S^{a}S_{a} + P^{a}S_{a} + P_{a}S^{a} + P^{a}P_{a} = S^{a}S_{a} + P^{a}P_{a} = ???##

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How do you justify the last equality shown above?

Note that ##P^{a}S_{a}## is an invariant. It has the same value in all reference frames. Try to pick a nice reference frame using what you know about ##P^{a}##.

4. Dec 28, 2015 #3
    Well, in the 'mostly minus' convention, ##P^{a} = \{1,0,0,0 \}## is one possibility.

Therefore, ##P^{a}S_{a} = 0## implies ##S_{0} = 0##.

Therefore, ##S^{a}S_{a} = S^{0}S_{0} + S^{1}S_{1} + S^{2}S_{2} + S^{3}S_{3} = S^{1}S_{1} + S^{2}S_{2} + S^{3}S_{3} = - S_{1}S_{1} - S_{2}S_{2} - S_{3}S_{3}##.

##S_{i}S_{i} >0##, so that ##S^{a}S_{a} < 0##, therefore ##S^{a}## is space-like.

5. Dec 28, 2015 #4
    b) In the 'mostly minus' convention, ##P^{a} = \{-1,-1,0,0 \}## is one possibility.

Therefore, ##P^{a}S_{a} = 0## implies ##S_{0}+S_{1} = 0##, so that ##S^{0}=S_{0}=-S_{1}##.

Therefore, ##S^{a}S_{a} = S^{0}S_{0} + S^{1}S_{1} + S^{2}S_{2} + S^{3}S_{3} = S_{1}S_{1} - S_{1}S_{1} - S_{2}S_{2} - S_{3}S_{3} = - S_{2}S_{2} - S_{3}S_{3}##.

##S_{i}S_{i} >0##, so that ##S^{a}S_{a} < 0##, therefore ##S^{a}## is space-like.

The other possibility is that ##P^{a} \propto S^{a}## for obvious reasons.

6. Dec 28, 2015 #5
    Are my solutions correct?

7. Dec 28, 2015 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it's a possibility. But you want a general proof. You have the right idea, but you can't assume that P0 = 1 in the frame where all the Pi = 0. Similarly for part (b) where you assumed that P0 and P1 are both equal to -1.

8. Dec 28, 2015 #7
    In that case, does ##P^{a} = \{p,0,0,0\}## for part (a) and ##P^{a}=\{p,-p,0,0\}## for part (b) qualify as four-vectors sufficiently general to give a general proof?

9. Dec 28, 2015 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. For part (b), you could rotate the spatial coordinate axes to get ##P^{a}=\{p,p,0,0\}## (without any negative signs). But I think the way you wrote it is OK also.

In post 4 you had
    Logically, can you really claim that ##S^{a}S_{a} < 0## follows from what you have written? Or should you conclude only that ##S^{a}S_{a} \leq 0##?

10. Dec 28, 2015 #9
    Yes, that proves that ##S^{a}## is space-like or null for part (b)?

But, by the same token, can we also not conclude that ##S^{a}## is space-like or null (and not just space-like) for part (a)?

11. Dec 28, 2015 #10

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. Also, you should go on to show that if S is null, then it must be proportional to P.

No, you should be able to prove that in (a), S must be space-like. It can't be null. [Of course, S is assumed to be a nonzero 4-vector in both (a) and (b).]

12. Dec 28, 2015 #11
    For the case when both ##S^{a}S_{0}=0## and ##P^{a}P_{a}=0##, there are probably many solutions that relate ##S^{a}## and ##P^{a}##, but one of them is surely ##S^{a}=cP^{a}##. What are the other solutions that could arise?

Ah! If ##S^{a}## is a non-zero four vector in (a), then ##S_{i}S_{i}>0## in (a). Got it!

13. Dec 28, 2015 #12

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to show that there are no other solutions when S is null. That is, if S and P are null and ##P^{a}S_{a}=0##, then show that S must be proportional to P.

14. Dec 28, 2015 #13
    Well, ##S^{a}S_{a}=0## means that ##(S_{0})^{2}=(\vec{S})^{2}## and ##P^{a}P_{a}=0## means that ##(P_{0})^{2}=(\vec{P})^{2}##.

Now, let's divide and obtain ##\frac{(S_{0})^{2}}{(P_{0})^{2}} = \frac{(\vec{S})^{2}}{(\vec{P})^{2}}##.

Call the ratio ##\frac{(S_{0})^{2}}{(P_{0})^{2}} = c^{2}##.

Therefore, ##c^{2} = \frac{(\vec{S})^{2}}{(\vec{P})^{2}} \implies (\vec{S})^{2} = c^{2} (\vec{P})^{2}##.

Therefore, component-wise, the four-vectors are proportional.

Is this correct?

15. Dec 28, 2015 #14

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK.

You have not shown that the individual components of S are proportional to the corresponding individual components of P (with the same proportionality constant). For example, everything you stated above could be satisfied with ##(P^0, P^1, P^2, P^3) = (5, 0, 3, 4)## and ##(S^0, S^1, S^2, S^3) = (5, 0, 5, 0)##.

Note that you did not use ##P^aS_a = 0## in your argument above.

16. Dec 30, 2015 #15
    Alright, let me start from scratch.

I need to show that if ##S^{a}## and ##P^{a}## are null, and if ##P^{a}S_{a} = 0##, then ##S^{a} \propto P^{a}##.

Here's my proof.

##S^{a}## is null ##\implies (S_{0})^{2}=(\vec{S})^{2}##.
    ##P^{a}## is null ##\implies (P_{0})^{2}=(\vec{P})^{2}##.

##P^{a}S_{a}=0 \implies P_{0}S_{0}=(\vec{P}\cdot{\vec{S}}) \implies \sqrt{(\vec{P})^{2}(\vec{S})^{2}}=(\vec{P}\cdot{\vec{S}})##.

Alluding to the rule for dot product in Euclidean geometry, ##P^{i} = k S^{i}## for ##i=1,2,3##, where ##k## is a positive real number.

Therefore, ##(\vec{P})^{2} = k^{2} (\vec{S})^{2} \implies (P_{0})^{2} = k^{2} (S_{0})^{2} \implies P_{0}=kS_{0}##.

What do you think?

17. Dec 30, 2015 #16

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In getting to the last equation, can you assume that ##P_{0}S_{0} = \sqrt{(\vec{P})^{2}(\vec{S})^{2}}## or only that ##P_{0}S_{0} = \pm \sqrt{(\vec{P})^{2}(\vec{S})^{2}}##?

Does ##k## necessarily have to be positive?

From this argument, you can only conclude that ##P_{0}= \pm kS_{0}##.

I like this approach. It does not require going to a specific reference frame. You just need to take care of the sign issue.

You can use this approach to also prove part (a) without using a specific frame.

18. Dec 30, 2015 #17
    Well, ##(S_{0})^{2}=(\vec{S})^{2} \implies S_{0} = \pm \sqrt{\vec{S}^{2}}## and ##(P_{0})^{2}=(\vec{P})^{2} \implies P_{0} = \pm \sqrt{\vec{P}^{2}}##.

Therefore, ##P_{0}S_{0} = \sqrt{(\vec{P})^{2}(\vec{S})^{2}}##, don't you think?

19. Dec 30, 2015 #18

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The ##\pm## sign in ##S_{0} = \pm \sqrt{\vec{S}^{2}}## is not necessarily "correlated" with the ##\pm## sign in ##P_{0} = \pm \sqrt{\vec{P}^{2}}## .

There is no reason why ##P_{0}S_{0}## must be positive.

20. Dec 30, 2015 #19
    Let ##P^{i}=cS^{i}##, where ##c## is a non-zero real number.

Therefore, ##P^{a}S_{a}=0 \implies P^{0}S_{0}+P^{i}S_{i} =0 \implies P^{0}S_{0}+cS^{i}S_{i} = 0 \implies P^{0}S_{0}-cS_{i}S_{i} = 0 \implies P^{0}S_{0}-c(S_{0})^{2}=0 \implies S_{0}(P_{0}-cS_{0})=0 \implies S_{0}=0\ \text{or}\ P_{0}=cS_{0} \implies S_{0}=0\ \text{or}\ P^{0}=cS^{0}##.

Now, ##S_{0}=0 \implies (\vec{S})^{2} = (S_{0})^{2}=0##, but ##S^{a}## cannot be a zero vector.

Therefore, ##P^{a} \propto S^{a}##.

Is this correct?

21. Dec 30, 2015 #20

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks good to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted