Space-like and time-like vectors

• Thread starter spaghetti3451
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
Also, you need to consider the case where ##P^a## is not null. In that case, ##S^a## must be proportional to ##P^a##.Well, ##S^{a}S_{a}=0## means that ##(S_{0})^{2}=(\vec{S})^{2}## and ##P^{a}P_{a}=0## means that ##(P_{0})^{2}=(\vec{P})^{2}##.Now, let's divide and obtain ##\frac{(S_{0})^{2}}{(P_{0})^{2}} = \frac
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

Prove the following:

a) If ##P^a## is time-like and ##P^{a}S_{a}=0##, then ##S^{a}## is space-like.

b) If ##P^a## is null and ##P^{a}S^{a}=0##, then ##S_{a}## is space-like or ##S^{a} \propto P^{a}##.

Homework Equations

Using the 'mostly minus' convention, ##A^a## is time-like, null and space-like if ##A^{a}A_{a}## is ##>0,=0, <0## respectively.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) ##S^{a}S_{a} = S^{a}S_{a} + P^{a}S_{a} = (S^{a} + P^{a})S_{a} = (S^{a} + P^{a})(S_{a} + P_{a}) = S^{a}S_{a} + P^{a}S_{a} + P_{a}S^{a} + P^{a}P_{a} = S^{a}S_{a} + P^{a}P_{a} = ?##

Physics news on Phys.org
failexam said:
a) ##S^{a}S_{a} = S^{a}S_{a} + P^{a}S_{a} = (S^{a} + P^{a})S_{a} = (S^{a} + P^{a})(S_{a} + P_{a}) ##

How do you justify the last equality shown above?

Note that ##P^{a}S_{a}## is an invariant. It has the same value in all reference frames. Try to pick a nice reference frame using what you know about ##P^{a}##.

Well, in the 'mostly minus' convention, ##P^{a} = \{1,0,0,0 \}## is one possibility.

Therefore, ##P^{a}S_{a} = 0## implies ##S_{0} = 0##.

Therefore, ##S^{a}S_{a} = S^{0}S_{0} + S^{1}S_{1} + S^{2}S_{2} + S^{3}S_{3} = S^{1}S_{1} + S^{2}S_{2} + S^{3}S_{3} = - S_{1}S_{1} - S_{2}S_{2} - S_{3}S_{3}##.

##S_{i}S_{i} >0##, so that ##S^{a}S_{a} < 0##, therefore ##S^{a}## is space-like.

b) In the 'mostly minus' convention, ##P^{a} = \{-1,-1,0,0 \}## is one possibility.

Therefore, ##P^{a}S_{a} = 0## implies ##S_{0}+S_{1} = 0##, so that ##S^{0}=S_{0}=-S_{1}##.

Therefore, ##S^{a}S_{a} = S^{0}S_{0} + S^{1}S_{1} + S^{2}S_{2} + S^{3}S_{3} = S_{1}S_{1} - S_{1}S_{1} - S_{2}S_{2} - S_{3}S_{3} = - S_{2}S_{2} - S_{3}S_{3}##.

##S_{i}S_{i} >0##, so that ##S^{a}S_{a} < 0##, therefore ##S^{a}## is space-like.

The other possibility is that ##P^{a} \propto S^{a}## for obvious reasons.

Are my solutions correct?

failexam said:
Well, in the 'mostly minus' convention, ##P^{a} = \{1,0,0,0 \}## is one possibility.

Yes, it's a possibility. But you want a general proof. You have the right idea, but you can't assume that P0 = 1 in the frame where all the Pi = 0. Similarly for part (b) where you assumed that P0 and P1 are both equal to -1.

In that case, does ##P^{a} = \{p,0,0,0\}## for part (a) and ##P^{a}=\{p,-p,0,0\}## for part (b) qualify as four-vectors sufficiently general to give a general proof?

failexam said:
In that case, does ##P^{a} = \{p,0,0,0\}## for part (a) and ##P^{a}=\{p,-p,0,0\}## for part (b) qualify as four-vectors sufficiently general to give a general proof?
OK. For part (b), you could rotate the spatial coordinate axes to get ##P^{a}=\{p,p,0,0\}## (without any negative signs). But I think the way you wrote it is OK also.

In post 4 you had
failexam said:
b) In the 'mostly minus' convention, ##P^{a} = \{-1,-1,0,0 \}## is one possibility.

Therefore, ##P^{a}S_{a} = 0## implies ##S_{0}+S_{1} = 0##, so that ##S^{0}=S_{0}=-S_{1}##.

Therefore, ##S^{a}S_{a} = S^{0}S_{0} + S^{1}S_{1} + S^{2}S_{2} + S^{3}S_{3} = S_{1}S_{1} - S_{1}S_{1} - S_{2}S_{2} - S_{3}S_{3} = - S_{2}S_{2} - S_{3}S_{3}##.

Logically, can you really claim that ##S^{a}S_{a} < 0## follows from what you have written? Or should you conclude only that ##S^{a}S_{a} \leq 0##?

Yes, that proves that ##S^{a}## is space-like or null for part (b)?

But, by the same token, can we also not conclude that ##S^{a}## is space-like or null (and not just space-like) for part (a)?

failexam said:
Yes, that proves that ##S^{a}## is space-like or null for part (b)?
Yes. Also, you should go on to show that if S is null, then it must be proportional to P.

But, by the same token, can we also not conclude that ##S^{a}## is space-like or null (and not just space-like) for part (a)?
No, you should be able to prove that in (a), S must be space-like. It can't be null. [Of course, S is assumed to be a nonzero 4-vector in both (a) and (b).]

TSny said:
Yes. Also, you should go on to show that if S is null, then it must be proportional to P.

For the case when both ##S^{a}S_{0}=0## and ##P^{a}P_{a}=0##, there are probably many solutions that relate ##S^{a}## and ##P^{a}##, but one of them is surely ##S^{a}=cP^{a}##. What are the other solutions that could arise?

TSny said:
No, you should be able to prove that in (a), S must be space-like. It can't be null. [Of course, S is assumed to be a nonzero 4-vector in both (a) and (b).]

Ah! If ##S^{a}## is a non-zero four vector in (a), then ##S_{i}S_{i}>0## in (a). Got it!

failexam said:
For the case when both ##S^{a}S_{0}=0## and ##P^{a}P_{a}=0##, there are probably many solutions that relate ##S^{a}## and ##P^{a}##, but one of them is surely ##S^{a}=cP^{a}##. What are the other solutions that could arise?
You need to show that there are no other solutions when S is null. That is, if S and P are null and ##P^{a}S_{a}=0##, then show that S must be proportional to P.

Well, ##S^{a}S_{a}=0## means that ##(S_{0})^{2}=(\vec{S})^{2}## and ##P^{a}P_{a}=0## means that ##(P_{0})^{2}=(\vec{P})^{2}##.

Now, let's divide and obtain ##\frac{(S_{0})^{2}}{(P_{0})^{2}} = \frac{(\vec{S})^{2}}{(\vec{P})^{2}}##.

Call the ratio ##\frac{(S_{0})^{2}}{(P_{0})^{2}} = c^{2}##.

Therefore, ##c^{2} = \frac{(\vec{S})^{2}}{(\vec{P})^{2}} \implies (\vec{S})^{2} = c^{2} (\vec{P})^{2}##.

Therefore, component-wise, the four-vectors are proportional.

Is this correct?

failexam said:
Well, ##S^{a}S_{a}=0## means that ##(S_{0})^{2}=(\vec{S})^{2}## and ##P^{a}P_{a}=0## means that ##(P_{0})^{2}=(\vec{P})^{2}##.

Now, let's divide and obtain ##\frac{(S_{0})^{2}}{(P_{0})^{2}} = \frac{(\vec{S})^{2}}{(\vec{P})^{2}}##.

Call the ratio ##\frac{(S_{0})^{2}}{(P_{0})^{2}} = c^{2}##.

Therefore, ##c^{2} = \frac{(\vec{S})^{2}}{(\vec{P})^{2}} \implies (\vec{S})^{2} = c^{2} (\vec{P})^{2}##.
OK.

Therefore, component-wise, the four-vectors are proportional.
You have not shown that the individual components of S are proportional to the corresponding individual components of P (with the same proportionality constant). For example, everything you stated above could be satisfied with ##(P^0, P^1, P^2, P^3) = (5, 0, 3, 4)## and ##(S^0, S^1, S^2, S^3) = (5, 0, 5, 0)##.

Note that you did not use ##P^aS_a = 0## in your argument above.

Alright, let me start from scratch.

I need to show that if ##S^{a}## and ##P^{a}## are null, and if ##P^{a}S_{a} = 0##, then ##S^{a} \propto P^{a}##.

Here's my proof.

##S^{a}## is null ##\implies (S_{0})^{2}=(\vec{S})^{2}##.
##P^{a}## is null ##\implies (P_{0})^{2}=(\vec{P})^{2}##.

##P^{a}S_{a}=0 \implies P_{0}S_{0}=(\vec{P}\cdot{\vec{S}}) \implies \sqrt{(\vec{P})^{2}(\vec{S})^{2}}=(\vec{P}\cdot{\vec{S}})##.

Alluding to the rule for dot product in Euclidean geometry, ##P^{i} = k S^{i}## for ##i=1,2,3##, where ##k## is a positive real number.

Therefore, ##(\vec{P})^{2} = k^{2} (\vec{S})^{2} \implies (P_{0})^{2} = k^{2} (S_{0})^{2} \implies P_{0}=kS_{0}##.

What do you think?

failexam said:
##S^{a}## is null ##\implies (S_{0})^{2}=(\vec{S})^{2}##.
##P^{a}## is null ##\implies (P_{0})^{2}=(\vec{P})^{2}##.

##P^{a}S_{a}=0 \implies P_{0}S_{0}=(\vec{P}\cdot{\vec{S}}) \implies \sqrt{(\vec{P})^{2}(\vec{S})^{2}}=(\vec{P}\cdot{\vec{S}})##.
In getting to the last equation, can you assume that ##P_{0}S_{0} = \sqrt{(\vec{P})^{2}(\vec{S})^{2}}## or only that ##P_{0}S_{0} = \pm \sqrt{(\vec{P})^{2}(\vec{S})^{2}}##?

Alluding to the rule for dot product in Euclidean geometry, ##P^{i} = k S^{i}## for ##i=1,2,3##, where ##k## is a positive real number.
Does ##k## necessarily have to be positive?

Therefore, ##(\vec{P})^{2} = k^{2} (\vec{S})^{2} \implies (P_{0})^{2} = k^{2} (S_{0})^{2} \implies P_{0}=kS_{0}##.

From this argument, you can only conclude that ##P_{0}= \pm kS_{0}##.

What do you think?

I like this approach. It does not require going to a specific reference frame. You just need to take care of the sign issue.

You can use this approach to also prove part (a) without using a specific frame.

TSny said:
In getting to the last equation, can you assume that ##P_{0}S_{0} = \sqrt{(\vec{P})^{2}(\vec{S})^{2}}## or only that ##P_{0}S_{0} = \pm \sqrt{(\vec{P})^{2}(\vec{S})^{2}}##?

Well, ##(S_{0})^{2}=(\vec{S})^{2} \implies S_{0} = \pm \sqrt{\vec{S}^{2}}## and ##(P_{0})^{2}=(\vec{P})^{2} \implies P_{0} = \pm \sqrt{\vec{P}^{2}}##.

Therefore, ##P_{0}S_{0} = \sqrt{(\vec{P})^{2}(\vec{S})^{2}}##, don't you think?

failexam said:
Well, ##(S_{0})^{2}=(\vec{S})^{2} \implies S_{0} = \pm \sqrt{\vec{S}^{2}}## and ##(P_{0})^{2}=(\vec{P})^{2} \implies P_{0} = \pm \sqrt{\vec{P}^{2}}##.

Therefore, ##P_{0}S_{0} = \sqrt{(\vec{P})^{2}(\vec{S})^{2}}##, don't you think?
The ##\pm## sign in ##S_{0} = \pm \sqrt{\vec{S}^{2}}## is not necessarily "correlated" with the ##\pm## sign in ##P_{0} = \pm \sqrt{\vec{P}^{2}}## .

There is no reason why ##P_{0}S_{0}## must be positive.

Let ##P^{i}=cS^{i}##, where ##c## is a non-zero real number.

Therefore, ##P^{a}S_{a}=0 \implies P^{0}S_{0}+P^{i}S_{i} =0 \implies P^{0}S_{0}+cS^{i}S_{i} = 0 \implies P^{0}S_{0}-cS_{i}S_{i} = 0 \implies P^{0}S_{0}-c(S_{0})^{2}=0 \implies S_{0}(P_{0}-cS_{0})=0 \implies S_{0}=0\ \text{or}\ P_{0}=cS_{0} \implies S_{0}=0\ \text{or}\ P^{0}=cS^{0}##.

Now, ##S_{0}=0 \implies (\vec{S})^{2} = (S_{0})^{2}=0##, but ##S^{a}## cannot be a zero vector.

Therefore, ##P^{a} \propto S^{a}##.

Is this correct?

That looks good to me.

1. What is the difference between space-like and time-like vectors?

Space-like vectors refer to vectors that have a magnitude and direction in three-dimensional space, while time-like vectors refer to vectors that have a magnitude and direction in time. In other words, space-like vectors are used to represent spatial relationships, while time-like vectors are used to represent temporal relationships.

2. How are space-like and time-like vectors used in physics?

Space-like and time-like vectors are used in physics to describe the relationships between objects in space and time. They are an essential part of the theory of relativity, which explains how space and time are interconnected and how they can affect the behavior of objects.

3. Can a vector be both space-like and time-like?

No, vectors can only be either space-like or time-like. This is because space-like and time-like vectors have different properties and represent different relationships. However, in some cases, vectors can be classified as light-like, meaning they have both space-like and time-like properties.

4. How do space-like and time-like vectors affect the measurement of distances and time intervals?

Space-like and time-like vectors can affect the measurement of distances and time intervals by altering the perceived length or duration of an object or event. This is because space and time are relative and can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity. This is a key concept in the theory of relativity.

5. What are some everyday examples of space-like and time-like vectors?

Some everyday examples of space-like vectors include the distance between two points, the direction of travel, and the velocity of an object. Time-like vectors can be seen in the duration of an event, the speed of a clock, and the age of an object. Both types of vectors play a crucial role in everyday life, from navigation and transportation to measuring time and aging.