Spaghettification near event horizon

In summary, if you're free-falling into a black hole, you'll experience spaghettification, but if you're hovering above it, you won't.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
Can we avoid spaghettification for some times, once we're inside event horizon?
I choose a rather massive black hole, so the tidal force won't be so big at EH.
Mass: 1 trillion solar mass
Schwarzschild radius: 2.950 trillion KM
What is the gravitational force at EH?
I calculate: ##g = \frac{GM}{r^2} = 3 m/s^2##
But
PeterDonis said:
You are doing the wrong calculation. That formula is not correct; the correct GR formula is
$$a = \frac{GM}{R^2 \sqrt{1 - \frac{2GM}{c^2 R}}}$$
According to this formula, ##a## increases without bound as ##R \rightarrow 2GM/c^2##, i.e., as the horizon is approached.
So, once we're inside the event horizon minus 1 cm, acceleration increases without bound? But if acceleration is infinity then once we're inside EH, no matter how big massive the black hole is we'll arrive at the singularity at once (in the observer inside EH frame)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Stephanus said:
So, once we're inside the event horizon minus 1 cm, acceleration increases without bound?
That doesn't seem to make sense. There is, as far as I am aware, nothing in particular that happens as you cross the event horizon of a supermassive black hole. You don't even notice it.

Stephanus said:
Can we avoid spaghettification for some times, once we're inside event horizon?

Yes. Spaghettification only has to happen as you approach the singularity, not the horizon.

phinds said:
That doesn't seem to make sense. There is, as far as I am aware, nothing in particular that happens as you cross the event horizon of a supermassive black hole. You don't even notice it.
Don't even notice it?
But...
PeterDonis said:
$$a = \frac{GM}{R^2 \sqrt{1 - \frac{2GM}{c^2 R}}}$$
According to this formula, ##a## increases without bound as ##R \rightarrow 2GM/c^2##, i.e., as the horizon is approached.
I'm sorry I can't imagine it.
Is the acceleration force approaching EH very high? It's not the speed that I ask. The acceleration.
Thanks for explain it to me.

PeterDonis said:
Yes. Spaghettification only has to happen as you approach the singularity, not the horizon.
But you said before, near EH the acceleration is very, very high. I cannot picture that. And object can withstand high velocity (even at 99% speed of light, right?) But how can object withstand high acceleration?

A person free-falling through an EH does not feel the acceleration, just tidal acceleration (difference in acceleration between body parts). This is small over human sizes when the BH is large.

Jorrie said:
A person free-falling through an EH does not feel the acceleration, just tidal acceleration (difference in acceleration between body parts). The is small over human sizes when the BH is large.
Thanks for the answer Jorrie.
Actually I want to know more about this thread
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...on-of-a-large-black-hole.827183/#post-5200300
But there things that I have to learn before I can understand that thread. And rather than interfere with someone's thread, I think it's better that I create my own
So I think I study acceleration inside EH. About the spaghettification, I agree with you.
Jorrie said:
- A person free-falling through an EH does not feel the acceleration,
- just tidal acceleration
- (difference in acceleration between body parts) this is small over human sizes when the BH is large
And I remember something a mentor posted months ago in my own thread.
And this is the FIRST time I argue about a mentor post. Is the acceleration inside EH is extremely big?
##a = \frac{GM}{R^2\sqrt{1-\frac{2GM}{c^2R}}}##

Stephanus said:
Is the acceleration inside EH is extremely big?
It is problematic talking about "acceleration inside the EH", because relative to what shall one specify it?
The equation that you have quoted is acceleration relative to an observer momentarily at constant radial parameter R, but there cannot be such observers at or inside the EH - everything is traveling towards the central singularity (whatever that may be).

Do you already know the Schwarzschild geometry? If not, you will have to master that before thinking about the 'inside'. A good introduction with the various embedding diagrams is available here: http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/schwp.html

Likes Stephanus
Stephanus said:
Is the acceleration force approaching EH very high?

If you're hovering at a constant altitude above the horizon, yes. But that doesn't cause spaghettification. It just causes you to have to withstand a higher and higher g force, until finally your body is crushed by it.

If you're free-falling into the hole, you feel no acceleration at all.

Likes Stephanus
PeterDonis said:
If you're hovering at a constant altitude above the horizon, yes. But that doesn't cause spaghettification.
Depending on how the force is applied to you during hover, you might experience spaghettification or pizzafication.

Likes Stephanus
A.T. said:
Depending on how the force is applied to you during hover, you might experience spaghettification or pizzafication.
Ah, yes, if you want to be pizza, don't sit on a grate. :woot:

Likes Stephanus
PeterDonis said:
If you're hovering at a constant altitude above the horizon, yes. But that doesn't cause spaghettification. It just causes you to have to withstand a higher and higher g force, until finally your body is crushed by it.

If you're free-falling into the hole, you feel no acceleration at all.
Yes, we won't feel acceleration at all. The spaghettification will be felt near singularity. How near? Should have calculated it.
But before I read about spaghettification, I would to know about the speed between EH and the singularity.
For example there's a massive black hole, out side earth.
An object fall just inside EH. The acceleration is very high. So the instant (more likely before entering EH) is the speed of the object will be very high if it free falling?
For example: If an object is as far as the moon from earth, it will be attracted to Earth at 2GM/r^2 = 0.00276m/s2. Rather slow, but the velocity acceleration is accelerating toward the earth, right.?
Okay, anyway according to your equation. If something is hovering at Event Horizon then suddenly we release it. It doesn't crawl at a couple of meter per seconds.
Not at ##a = \frac{GM}{R^2}## but at ##\frac{a}{\sqrt{1-\frac{2GM}{R^2}}}##
No, wait. It still has some value in it. It's not undefined.
##R_s = \frac{2GM}{c^2}##,
so
##a = \frac{GM}{{R_s}^2\sqrt{1-\frac{2GM}{{R_s}^2}}}##
Let me simplify this.
##a = \frac{GM}{{{\frac{2GM}{c^2}}}^2\sqrt{1-\frac{2GM}{{\frac{2GM}{c^2}}^2}}}##
##a = \frac{c^2}{2GM\sqrt{1-\frac{c^4}{2GM}}}##
I tought the speed is undefined. But is this the simplified formula for acceleration in black hole (or any object after adjusting with relativity)?

A.T. said:
Depending on how the force is applied to you during hover

You don't have a choice about that; if you're hovering, the force is being applied radially outward.

Stephanus said:
The spaghettification will be felt near singularity. How near?

The following is taken from this thread-
Regarding tidal forces, Edward Wheeler came up with the 'ouch' radius which is derived from the equation for gravity gradient- [itex]dg=(2Gm/r^3)dr[/itex] which can be rewritten in respect of a change of 1g [itex](g_E)[/itex] from head to toe (i.e. dr=2m) which is considered a limit we could tolerate-

[tex]r_{ouch}=\left(\frac{4Gm}{g_E}\right)^{1/3}[/tex]​

this ouch radius will occur well outside the event horizon of small black holes and inside the event horizon for very large black holes such as SMBHs.

You might also find these two link of interest-

Spacetime Geometry Inside a Black Hole
http://www.jimhaldenwang.com/black_hole.htm

Falling Into and Hovering Near A Black Hole
http://mathpages.com/rr/s7-03/7-03.htm

Likes Stephanus
Stephanus said:
I would to know about the speed between EH and the singularity.

There is no invariant way to assign a "speed" to an object inside the horizon. Outside the horizon, you can use observers "hovering" at constant altitude above the horizon to define an invariant notion of "being at rest", and define "speed" as speed relative to those observers. By this definition, the speed of an object free-falling into the hole approaches the speed of light as the object approaches the horizon (but never quite reaches ##c## as long as the object is above the horizon).

At and inside the horizon, however, there are no "hovering" observers, and there is no other family of observers that can be viewed as "being at rest", so there's no fixed standard from which to define "speed".

Stephanus said:
If something is hovering at Event Horizon then suddenly we release it.

Nothing can hover at the event horizon; it would have to be moving outward at the speed of light to do so.

Stephanus said:
is this the simplified formula for acceleration in black hole (or any object after adjusting with relativity)?

You've done your algebra wrong. It's a lot easier to adopt "geometric" units, in which ##G = c = 1##; then your equations don't get cluttered with a lot of extra coefficients.

Start with

$$
a = \frac{M}{r^2 \sqrt{1 - 2M / r}}
$$

Now plug in ##r = 2M##. It should be obvious that the factor under the square root in the denominator goes to zero, making ##a## undefined, but let's do the algebra anyway:

$$
a = \frac{M}{r \sqrt{r^2 - 2M r}}
$$

So at the horizon, we have

$$
a_{EH} = \frac{M}{2M \sqrt{4M^2 - 4M^2}} = \frac{1}{2 \sqrt{4M^2 - 4M^2}} = \frac{1}{4M \sqrt{1 - 1}}
$$

This is obviously undefined.

Thanks for any responses and answer.
I think I'm ready to my original question.
Okay, now after I gather (or rather read) the facts, there's an interesting problem at the other thread.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ast-the-horizon-of-a-large-black-hole.827183/
Here let me quote some post at those thread that indirectly address my issue here.. I create this "spaghetti" thread, because I focus on the acceleration. Not trying to derail that thread.
If this violates PF rule, please let me now.
jovcevskiigor said:
Can one create a black hole when already inside the black hole ?
russ_watters said:
Intriguing thought. If a star was in the process of collapsing to start a supernova as it passed the event horizon of a large black hole, what would cause it to cease being able to collapse? Tidal forces pulling it apart? If the large black hole is really large, tidal forces would be fairly small. So I'm not sure about that.
Chronos said:
All paths inside the event horizon lead towards the singularity. So a particle trying to gravitationally collapse still must move towards the singularity, not towards the center of mass of the region trying to collapse.
So if the black hole is big enough, say 1 trillion solar mass. (10 times the mass of milky way?) Is it possible for a star in iron burning process inside the event horizon to become a black hole before it gets "spaghettificated"?
No wait, once it become a black hole itself, it can't get streamed, right?
But is it possible for an object to become a black hole inside the event horizon of a black hole?

@stevebd1
He did call that the "ouch" radius for 1 g different from about 1.7 m? Talk about some fancy names like Chandrasekhar limit, Planck length, Hubble volume, this one just "ouch"?

PeterDonis said:
You've done your algebra wrong. It's a lot easier to adopt "geometric" units, in which ##G = c = 1##; then your equations don't get cluttered with a lot of extra coefficients.
I'm sorry what is G here? ##G = c = 1##
Is it Newton G: ##6.674×10_{−11} N⋅\frac{m^2}{kg^2}## or
g as acceleration 9.m/s2
But looking at your equation G is speed of light.
Schwarzschild radius is ##R_s = \frac{2GM}{c^2}##
Is G in ##G = c = 1## the same as
G in ##R_s = \frac{2GM}{c^2}## ?

Consider an observer who freely falls radially from rest at a great distance from a spherical black hole. Where "ouch" occurs, inside or outside the event horizon, does depend on the size of the black hole, but the observer wristwatch time from "ouch" to "arrival" at the singularity (i.e., the limit of tau as the observer's r-value approaches zero) is independent of the size of the black hole.

Likes Stephanus
George Jones said:
Consider an observer who freely falls radially from rest at a great distance from a spherical black hole. Where "ouch" occurs, inside or outside the event horizon, does depend on the size of the black hole, but the observer wristwatch time from "ouch" to "arrival" at the singularity (i.e., the limit of tau as the observer's r-value approaches zero) is independent of the size of the black hole.
Time (after adjusted to relativiy effect) is independent of the size of the black hole? That's interesting, I like that.
But I have trouble understanding this "ouch"
What is "ouch" radius? Acceleration difference 1 g at 1.7 meters? The height of a person? Why 1 g? Why 1.7m?
That is very human sentris, right.
I imagine like in "Contact" movie, the frequency for finding alien is the frequency of the vibration of hydrogen atom (times Pi, irrational number, so it will not resonance with other frequency) eliminating human factor such as the frequency of SSFM radio channel is 100Mhz. Human frequency.

Stephanus said:
I'm sorry what is G here? ##G = c = 1##
Is it Newton G: ##6.674×10^{−11} N⋅\frac{m^2}{kg^2}##
Yes.
Stephanus said:
But looking at your equation G is speed of light.
"##G = c = 1##" is maybe open to misunderstanding. It means "##G = 1## and ##c = 1##".

"##c = 1##" means "choose units to make ##c = 1##", e.g. 1 light-second per second, or 1 light-year per year, or 1 light-nanosecond per nanosecond.

Similarly "##G = 1##" means "choose units to make ##G = 1##".
Stephanus said:
Is G in ##G = c = 1## the same as
G in ##R_s = \frac{2GM}{c^2}## ?
Yes.

Stephanus said:
what is G here? G=c=1G = c = 1
Is it Newton G: ##6.674×10_{−11} N⋅\frac{m^2}{kg^2}## or

Yes.

George Jones said:
the observer wristwatch time from "ouch" to "arrival" at the singularity (i.e., the limit of tau as the observer's r-value approaches zero) is independent of the size of the black hole.

I don't think this is correct; the time from horizon to singularity should increase with the mass of the hole. The "normalized" time, i.e., the time divided by the mass of the hole (in geometric units) is constant, but the actual proper time itself is not.

The formulas as I understand them are, for proper time from a large finite radius ##R## to the singularity (for an object released from rest at infinity, so it has some nonzero inward velocity at ##R##, but we can make ##R## large enough for that velocity to be negligible):

$$
\frac{\tau_S}{2M} = \frac{2}{3} \left( \frac{R}{2M} \right)^{\frac{3}{2}}
$$

And for the proper time from ##R## to the horizon:

$$
\frac{\tau_{EH}}{2M} = \frac{2}{3} \left[ \left( \frac{R}{2M} \right)^{\frac{3}{2}} - 1 \right]
$$

Subtracting the second from the first and multiplying by ##2M## gives

$$
\tau_{EH-S} = \frac{4}{3} M
$$

PeterDonis said:
[..]So at the horizon, we have

$$
a_{EH} = \frac{M}{2M \sqrt{4M^2 - 4M^2}} = \frac{1}{2 \sqrt{4M^2 - 4M^2}} = \frac{1}{4M \sqrt{1 - 1}}
$$

This is obviously undefined.
Using "my" algebra, I come up with this, actually there was an error in my previous calculation.
##a = \frac{c^4}{{4GM}\sqrt{1-c^2}}##
But I don't see why we can replace G with 1 and C with 1. Altough in SR forum, we often replace C = 1 and V = V/C.
I'll contemplate it.

PeterDonis said:
Subtracting the second from the first and multiplying by ##2M## gives

$$
\tau_{EH-S} = \frac{4}{3} M
$$

The time from event horizon to singularity is not the same as the time from "ouch" to singularity. For a small black hole, "ouch" occurs outside the event horizon, while for a large black hole, "ouch" occurs inside the event horizon, and this happens in such that the time from "ouch" to singularity is the same. Here, "ouch" is defined to occur when relative tidal acceleration equals g. If you have access, see the box on page B-21 of the book "Exploring Black Holes" by Taylor and Wheeler.

And to add a terminological historical note, the phrase "ouch time", in a different context, arises from the ill fated Star Wars Episode I:

George Jones said:
The time from event horizon to singularity is not the same as the time from "ouch" to singularity.

Ah, sorry, I was misinterpreting what the "ouch" meant.

Stephanus said:
Using "my" algebra, I come up with this

Still wrong. If you're getting any answer other than the one I gave, you're doing it wrong. This calculation has been done thousands of times by physicists and students in GR. Please consult a textbook.

Stephanus said:
I don't see why we can replace G with 1 and C with 1.

Because that just amounts to a choice of units. You already understand what it means to set ##c = 1##; it just means we're measuring speeds in units of ##c##, so the speed of light is ##1##. Setting ##G = 1## means we are measuring mass in units of length; ##G / c^2## is just a conversion factor from ordinary units of mass to mass in length units. So the mass of the Earth, for example, instead of being about ##6 \times 10^{24}## kg, is about 4.5 millimeters in these units (called "geometric units").

If you insist on seeing the calculation I did with the factors of ##G## and ##c## included, here it is:

$$
a = \frac{GM}{r^2 \sqrt{1 - \frac{2GM}{c^2 r}}} = \frac{GM}{r \sqrt{r^2 - \frac{2GM}{c^2} r}} = \frac{G M c}{r \sqrt{c^2 r^2 - 2 G M r}}
$$

Plugging in ##r = 2GM/c^2## then gives

$$
a = \frac{G M c}{\left( \frac{2GM}{c^2} \right) \sqrt{c^2 \left( \frac{2GM}{c^2} \right)^2 - 2 G M \left( \frac{2GM}{c^2} \right)}} = \frac{G M c^3}{2 G M \sqrt{ \frac{4 G^2 M^2}{c^2} - \frac{4 G^2 M^2}{c^2} }} = \frac{c^4}{4 G M \sqrt{1 - 1}}
$$

Note that if we choose units so ##c = 1## and ##G = 1##, this is identical to what I gave before. Also, of course, it is undefined.

PeterDonis said:
Still wrong. If you're getting any answer other than the one I gave, you're doing it wrong. This calculation has been done thousands of times by physicists and students in GR. Please consult a textbook.
[..]
$$
a = \frac{GM}{r^2 \sqrt{1 - \frac{2GM}{c^2 r}}} = \frac{GM}{r \sqrt{r^2 - \frac{2GM}{c^2} r}} = \frac{G M c}{r \sqrt{c^2 r^2 - 2 G M r}}
$$

Plugging in ##r = 2GM/c^2## then gives

$$
a = \frac{G M c}{\left( \frac{2GM}{c^2} \right) \sqrt{c^2 \left( \frac{2GM}{c^2} \right)^2 - 2 G M \left( \frac{2GM}{c^2} \right)}} = \frac{G M c^3}{2 G M \sqrt{ \frac{4 G^2 M^2}{c^2} - \frac{4 G^2 M^2}{c^2} }} = \frac{c^4}{4 G M \sqrt{1 - 1}}
$$

Note that if we choose units so ##c = 1## and ##G = 1##, this is identical to what I gave before. Also, of course, it is undefined.
Come on PeterDonis.
Is this wrong?
##\frac{c^4}{4GM\sqrt{1-c^2}}##
and yours
##\frac{c^4}{4GM\sqrt{1-1}}##
But I didn't change c to 1. Still needs time to understand why we can substitute c with 1 (or even G with 1).
I made some error in calculating 2GM^2.
##2GM^2 = 2G^2M^2## it should be ##4G^2M^2## that's why I make a wrong calculation.
And it's not ##2GM^2## it's ##(2GM)^2##.

Last edited:
PeterDonis said:
[..]Because that just amounts to a choice of units. You already understand what it means to set ##c = 1##; it just means we're measuring speeds in units of ##c##, so the speed of light is ##1##. Setting ##G = 1## means we are measuring mass in units of length; ##G / c^2## is just a conversion factor from ordinary units of mass to mass in length units. So the mass of the Earth, for example, instead of being about ##6 \times 10^{24}## kg, is about 4.5 millimeters in these units (called "geometric units").[..]
Okay, let's see if I can change G =1 and c = 1
##G = 6.674×10−11 N⋅m2/kg2##
in unit
##G = (kg⋅\frac{m}{s^2}) ⋅m2/kg2##
##G = \frac{m^3}{s^2⋅kg} ##

##c = 300,000,000m/s##
in unit
##c = m/s##
##\frac{G}{c^2} = \frac{6.674⋅10^{-11}\frac{m^3}{s^2⋅kg}}{\frac{9⋅10^16m^2}{s^2}}##

##\frac{G}{c^2} = \frac{6.674⋅10^{-11}m}{9⋅10^{16}⋅kg}##

##\frac{G}{c^2} = \frac{7.41556⋅10^{-28}m}{kg}##

Earth mass = 6 x 1024 Kg
I don't even know why we should multiply or divide Earth mass with G/c2
Okay, I choose multiply
##6 * 10^{24} Kg * \frac{7.41556⋅10^{-28}m}{kg}##
##6 * 10^{24} * 7.41556⋅10^{-28}m##
##44.49 * 10^{-4}m = 4.449 mm## Okay...
I imagine we divide mass of the Earth with this unit, not multiply it.
Perhaps it's the same if we have a car that can runs 100km/s
And we say, what is 20 seconds according to you.
Then we multiply 20 seconds with Carspeed, then we'll say 20 seconds for my car is 200 km.
Or perhaps
There are two towns, 500 km apart. What is the distance of the towns.
Then we divide 500 km with Carspeed, then we'll say the distance of the towns is 5 seconds for my car.
I have to think it over, still don't get it fully.

I think G/c^2 is half of Schwarzschild radius.
If we multiply the mass of an (planetary) object with this unit, we'll get acceleration at that distance. But distance must in the format of
Distance/300000000
if We multiply the mass of that object with twice of this unit, we'll get its schwarzschild radius
I'll try to understand it deeper.

<h2>1. What is spaghettification near the event horizon?</h2><p>Spaghettification near the event horizon is a phenomenon that occurs when an object gets too close to the event horizon of a black hole. The extreme gravitational pull of the black hole causes the object to stretch and elongate, similar to how a piece of spaghetti would stretch when pulled from both ends.</p><h2>2. How close do you have to be to the event horizon to experience spaghettification?</h2><p>The distance from the event horizon at which spaghettification occurs varies depending on the size and mass of the black hole. Generally, it is believed that spaghettification starts to occur when an object gets within a few hundred kilometers of the event horizon.</p><h2>3. Can anything survive spaghettification near the event horizon?</h2><p>It is highly unlikely that anything can survive spaghettification near the event horizon. The extreme gravitational forces would tear apart any object, including atoms, and reduce it to a stream of subatomic particles.</p><h2>4. Is spaghettification a quick process?</h2><p>No, spaghettification is not a quick process. It occurs gradually as the object gets closer to the event horizon, and the stretching and elongation become more severe. The closer the object gets, the longer the process takes.</p><h2>5. Can we observe spaghettification happening in real-time?</h2><p>Currently, we do not have the technology to observe spaghettification happening in real-time. The process occurs very quickly in comparison to the vast distances of outer space, making it difficult to capture with our current telescopes and instruments.</p>

1. What is spaghettification near the event horizon?

Spaghettification near the event horizon is a phenomenon that occurs when an object gets too close to the event horizon of a black hole. The extreme gravitational pull of the black hole causes the object to stretch and elongate, similar to how a piece of spaghetti would stretch when pulled from both ends.

2. How close do you have to be to the event horizon to experience spaghettification?

The distance from the event horizon at which spaghettification occurs varies depending on the size and mass of the black hole. Generally, it is believed that spaghettification starts to occur when an object gets within a few hundred kilometers of the event horizon.

3. Can anything survive spaghettification near the event horizon?

It is highly unlikely that anything can survive spaghettification near the event horizon. The extreme gravitational forces would tear apart any object, including atoms, and reduce it to a stream of subatomic particles.

4. Is spaghettification a quick process?

No, spaghettification is not a quick process. It occurs gradually as the object gets closer to the event horizon, and the stretching and elongation become more severe. The closer the object gets, the longer the process takes.

5. Can we observe spaghettification happening in real-time?

Currently, we do not have the technology to observe spaghettification happening in real-time. The process occurs very quickly in comparison to the vast distances of outer space, making it difficult to capture with our current telescopes and instruments.