Speaker/Microphone and Inverting Op Amp

The op amp would be used to attenuate an audio tone for a Walkie-Talkie circuit previously connected to a speaker. There should not be any issues with this setup. In summary, an 8Ω speaker used as a microphone to record a human voice at average volume typically has a voltage level that can be measured with an oscilloscope. Additionally, using an inverting op amp configuration with a gain less than 1 is stable and should not cause any problems when attenuating an audio tone for a Walkie-Talkie circuit.
Jiggy-Ninja
1) What is a typical voltage level coming from an 8Ω speaker being used as a microphone to record a human voice at average volume? I kept forgetting to bring it to school to measure it's output with the oscilloscope, so I'm wondering if anyone here knows it.

2) I seem to remember reading somewhere that using an inverting op amp configuration with a gain of less than 1 was unstable, or otherwise bad for some reason. I can't remember where I read it or why it said it was bad or anything else. This op amp would be used to attenuate an audio tone to a level manageable by the circuitry that formerly had the speaker hooked up to it (a Walkie-Talkie). Would there be any problems with this setup, or is my spotty memory unfounded?

Engineering news on Phys.org
An inverting op amp is not unstable with a gain < 1

1. What is the purpose of a speaker and microphone in a circuit?

The speaker and microphone are transducers that convert electrical signals into sound waves and vice versa. They are used to communicate sound in a circuit or system.

2. What is an inverting op amp and how does it work?

An inverting op amp is a basic electronic component that amplifies an input signal by a specific factor. It works by taking the input signal and inverting it, then amplifying it and outputting the result.

3. How are a speaker and microphone connected to an inverting op amp?

The microphone is connected to the inverting input of the inverting op amp, while the speaker is connected to the output. The non-inverting input is connected to ground or a reference voltage.

4. What is the significance of the gain in an inverting op amp circuit?

The gain in an inverting op amp circuit determines the amplification of the input signal. It is equal to the ratio of the output voltage to the input voltage. Higher gain results in a larger output signal.

5. How does an inverting op amp circuit amplify audio signals?

An inverting op amp circuit amplifies audio signals by using negative feedback. This means that a portion of the output signal is fed back to the inverting input, resulting in a larger output signal with a controlled gain.