Speakers that are not magnetically shielded

• Thread starter NINHARDCOREFAN
  • Start date
In summary, the manual for the new speakers recommends keeping the subwoofer at least two feet away from PC monitors and hard drives due to its large magnet. This is to avoid any potential damage or distortion to the display and data. While it is possible to use a tin can to cover the magnet and reduce its effects, it is important to test and ensure that it is effective in the direction of the affected object.
NINHARDCOREFAN
I bought new speakers, it came with a subwoofer which is not magnetically shielded. In the manual it says keep it at least two feet away from PC monitors, hard drives etc... Does this only apply only when the speakers are on? What's the worst that could happen if I don't follow this?

Physics news on Phys.org
try it and find out. and no it doesn't mean just when it is on remember that your hard drive is made of magnetic disks, and that a subwoofer has a huge magnet inside it.

It will only distort display right? Then why did it say not place close to hard drives? Will it damage them?

NINHARDCOREFAN said:
It will only distort display right? Then why did it say not place close to hard drives? Will it damage them?

Possibly.

Most speakers have neodymium magnets these days, get a high enough grade one within a foot or so of a hard drive and it can corrupt the data.

The distortion can be pretty bad. I had to keep a TV close to some speakers that were marginally shielded. The TV developed rainbows on both sides near the speakers. I tried degaussing by hand, but it was permanent. The TV wasn't useless but it was very difficult to watch.

NINHARDCOREFAN said:
The magnetic field interacts with the lanthanide metals (usually Eu and Y in color TV) in the display screen and it will change the color. I believe it is the red phosphor that is affected, based on experience with my son.

My son magnetized our TV several times until we figured out that he was doing it. The TV lost the red and we saw primarily green, blue and purple hues. We just degaussed the screen.

A strong magnetic field will damage a harddrive in the sense that it will corrupt the data by changing the magnetic domains on the HD.

I use an older home hi-fi amp and bookshelf speakers that sit about a foot away from the computer case without any problems

NINHARDCOREFAN said:
Possibly. One way to check is to hold a piece of steel or other magnet (or even a compass) on a string and gradually move it toward the magnet and not the deflection. Then cover the magnet with a tin can, and repeat moving the piece of steel or magnet on a string toward the covered magnet. If the deflection is less, then yes, putting a tin can over the magnet works. One should test in the direction of the object (TV or PC) which would be affected.

1. What does it mean for a speaker to not be magnetically shielded?

When a speaker is not magnetically shielded, it means that it does not have any protection from the magnetic fields produced by other electronic devices. This can cause distortion in the sound quality of the speaker.

2. Can I use non-magnetically shielded speakers with other electronic devices?

Yes, you can still use non-magnetically shielded speakers with other electronic devices. However, it is not recommended as it may affect the sound quality and produce unwanted distortion.

3. How can I tell if my speakers are magnetically shielded or not?

You can usually tell if your speakers are magnetically shielded by checking the product specifications or looking for a label on the speaker itself. Alternatively, you can use a compass to see if it is affected by the speaker's magnetic field.

4. What are the potential risks of using non-magnetically shielded speakers?

The main risk of using non-magnetically shielded speakers is that they can cause distortion in the sound quality, which can be frustrating for listeners. Additionally, they may also interfere with other electronic devices and cause unwanted noise or interference.

5. Are there any benefits to using non-magnetically shielded speakers?

Non-magnetically shielded speakers may be more affordable and easier to find compared to magnetically shielded ones. They may also perform well in environments with no other electronic devices nearby. However, the potential risks and limitations should also be considered before making a purchase.