1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special relativity: find speed and kinetic energy

1. Apr 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A proton (rest mass 1.67x10^-27 kg) has total energy that is 3.2 times its rest energy. What is:
    a) the kinetic energy of the proton (in joules)
    b) the magnitude of the momentum of the proton (in kg*m/s)
    c) the speed of the proton (in terms of the speed of light "c")

2. Relevant equations

E(0) = m(0)c^2
    where E(0) is rest energy, m(0) is rest mass and c is the speed of light (approximately 3.00x10^8 m/s)

E = mc^2
    where E is the total energy (im not too sure if thats the formula for total energy) and m is the relativistic mass

p=mv
    where p is the momentum

E^2 = (p^2)(c^2) + (m(0)^2)(c^2)

Ke = E - m(0)c^2
    where Ke is the kinetic energy

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the rest energy E(0) = m(0)c^2 = 1.503x10^-10 and since my total energy = 3.2 times the rest energy, E = 3.2E(0) = 4.81x10^-10.
    And because E = mc^2, i can use the previously calculated value to find m which gave me m= 5.344x10^-27.
    I used these values and the equation E^2 = (p^2)(c^2) + (m(0)^2)(c^2)to find the momentum which gave me 1.603x10^-18, which is correct.

But when i use the formula p = mv and rearrange it as v = p/m, i get 0.9999c m/s which according to my homework isn't correct.

And also, when i use the equation Ke = E - m(0)c^2 to find the kinetic energy, i get 3.307x10^-10, which is also incorrect.

I know it's long but a little help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2010 #2
    Relativistic momentum is [tex]p=\gamma m_0v[/tex] and relativistic kinetic energy is [tex](\gamma -1)m_0c^2[/tex] with [tex]\gamma=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

See if you get the right result with these expressions.

4. Apr 28, 2010 #3
    but how would i calculate the gamma value if i don't have the velocity?

5. Apr 28, 2010 #4
    Total energy is [tex]E=\gamma m_0c^2[/tex] and rest energy is [tex]E_0=m_0c^2[/tex]. Now take another look at the problem statement. Can you figure out what the velocity and the value of gamma is?

6. Apr 28, 2010 #5
    Ok then suppose that before i look for the velocity, i want to find the kinetic energy first. If i use the equations E= (gamma)m(0)c^2 and E(0) = m(0)c^2 , i can find the value for gamma, which gives me 3.2. if i then use the equation (gamma -1)m(0)c^2 to find the kinetic erergy it gives me 3.307x10^-10. Why is this answer wrong?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook