Special relativity inertial reference frames.

In summary, we are given the space-time coordinates of two events in inertial frame S and are asked to show that there exists an inertial frame S' where these events occur at the same time. We are also given the assumption that (Δx)^2+c^2Δt^2=(Δx')^2+(Δt')^2 and are asked to find the value of time for which these events occur in this reference frame. While finding a solution is a valid approach, the speaker is unsure if their solution is correct as they did not use the given assumption and are unsure of how to determine the correct value for u. They ask for guidance and clarification on their approach.
C.E
1. Suppose the space time co-ordinates of two events in inertial frame S are as follows:
Event 1:
x1=x0, t1=x0/c y1=z1=0
Event 2:
x2=2x0, t2= x0/2c y2=z2=0
Show that there exists an inertial frame s' in which these events occur at the same time (i.e t1'=t2') and find the value of time for which these events occur in this reference frame.

2. You may assume that: (Δx)^2+c^2Δt^2=(Δx’)^2 + (Δt’)^2

3. I think I have a solution but annoyingly have not used the above asssumption which I want to do as it is given in the question. Anyway I did the following:

Firstly I set t1'=t2' from this it follows that γ(x0/c - ux0/c^2)=γ(x0/2c-2ux0/c^2) (by the lorentz x co-ordinate transformations) rearranging gives that u=-0.5c. Indeed u=-0.5c seems to work giving t1'=t2'=√3x0/c. However, I am unhappy with my answer in that firstly I seem to have assumed it rather than proved it and secondly I did not use the above assumption. Any guidance would be very welcome.(By the way this is not assesed work merely revision so feel free to give as much help as you deem appropriate).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Finding a solution is certainly a valid approach to solving a problem of the nature "show that a solution exists ...".

So, do you think what I have done is correct?

I am finding gamma correctly but as it depends only on u^2 and not on the sign of u, u=0.5c or u=-0.5c (by taking positive or negative square roots in finding u from gamma), in selecting 0.5c I clearly chose the wrong option. Anyway how could I know that I should have selected u=-0.5c and not 0.5c? Do you just have to try both and see what works?

1. What is the concept of "Special relativity inertial reference frames"?

Special relativity inertial reference frames refer to a specific set of reference frames in which the laws of physics, specifically the laws of motion, hold true. These frames are considered to be "inertial" because they are not accelerating or rotating.

2. How does special relativity affect our understanding of time and space?

Special relativity states that time and space are not absolute and can be perceived differently depending on the observer's relative motion. This means that time and space are relative concepts and can be affected by the speed and acceleration of an observer.

3. What is the role of the speed of light in special relativity?

The speed of light, denoted by "c", is considered to be the universal speed limit in special relativity. This means that no object or information can travel faster than the speed of light. Additionally, the speed of light is constant in all inertial reference frames.

4. Can special relativity be applied to all types of motion?

Special relativity is applicable to all types of motion as long as the reference frames involved are inertial. This means that it can be applied to both uniform and non-uniform motion, as long as the frames are not accelerating or rotating.

5. How does special relativity impact our understanding of energy and mass?

Special relativity introduced the famous equation E=mc², which states that mass and energy are interchangeable and are related by the speed of light. This concept has been confirmed through experiments, such as particle accelerators, and has greatly impacted our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe.