Special Relativity - Length Contraction Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a person can travel from the center to the edge of our galaxy in a normal lifetime, using the concepts of time-dilation and length-contraction. The radius of our galaxy is given as 3x10^20m (30000 lightyears). Part a of the question considers using time-dilation to explain the possibility of such a journey, while part b asks for the required velocity to make the trip in 30 years. The length-contraction aspect is causing confusion for the person, but they eventually realize they can use the gamma value from the time-dilation part to solve the problem.
DougD720

Homework Statement

The radius of our galaxy is 3x10^20m (30000 lightyears).

(part a): Can a person in principle travel from the center to the edge of the galaxy in a normal lifetime? Explain using Time-Dilation, then Length-Contraction.

Homework Equations

[tex]d\tau[/tex] = dt [tex]\sqrt{1 -\beta2}[/tex]

L = [tex]\acute{L}[/tex] / [tex]\gamma[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I've done part a - 1 which uses time-dilation and that went fine, part b asked for the velocity required to make the trip in 30 years, did that, no problems, but this length contraction is killing me. I've got a stack of (now) scrap legal-pad pages trying to figure this thing out. I think what I really need to know is where to plugin the radius of the galaxy (i tried using that as both the proper length and the observed length, but I'm not sure of which, both are giving me non-sensical answers), and short of using the beta I calculated from the time-dilation (0.9999499) i don't know how to get beta, I tried plugging in values for v such as replacing v with (displacement/time) but that didn't work because I don't know whether to use the radius of the galaxy as the displacement, or what. I don't need anyone to do the math for me, just someone to point me in the right direction of the values to plugin where.

Also, I considered a normal lifetime 100 years.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you did the time-dilation part and it went fine then you have gamma. Now imagine that you are in the spaceship traveling with the speed implied by this gamma relative to the galaxy. As far as you are concerned, the galaxy is shorter than 30,000 light years by that same factor gamma.

Thank you! I just didn't know if I could use the gamma from the time-dilation part, but yeah, duh, that makes perfect sense. Thanks!

1. What is the length contraction problem in special relativity?

The length contraction problem in special relativity refers to the phenomenon where an object's length appears shorter when observed from a different frame of reference that is moving at a significant fraction of the speed of light. This is a consequence of the time dilation effect in special relativity.

2. How does special relativity explain the length contraction problem?

According to special relativity, space and time are relative and not absolute. Therefore, an object's length and time duration can appear different to observers in different frames of reference, depending on their relative velocities. This is known as the Lorentz transformation, and it explains the length contraction problem.

3. Does the length contraction problem only apply to objects moving at the speed of light?

No, the length contraction problem applies to all objects that are moving at a significant fraction of the speed of light. However, the effect becomes more noticeable as the object's speed approaches the speed of light.

4. Can the length contraction problem be observed in everyday life?

No, the length contraction effect is only noticeable at extremely high speeds, close to the speed of light. In everyday life, objects are not moving at such speeds, so the length contraction problem cannot be observed.

5. How does the length contraction problem affect our understanding of space and time?

The length contraction problem challenges our intuitive understanding of space and time as absolute and unchanging. It shows that measurements of length and time can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference and their relative velocity. This is a fundamental concept in special relativity that has revolutionized our understanding of the universe.