1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special relativity of a triangle

1. Oct 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In rest, a triangle has sides 1, 1 and sqrt(2). Find the angles of the triangle. when it moves with speed c/2.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have found u_y and u_x - it's sin(45)*c/2 and cos(45)*c/2 - so I get the angles to be 45, 45 and 90 like before - but that can't be true?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

How is the triangle oriented with respect to the direction of motion? (I presume that it moves in the +x direction, parallel to one of the sides of length 1.) Which sides undergo Lorentz contraction? What are the observed lengths of the sides parallel and perpendicular to the x-axis? Use that to calculate the new angles.
  4. Oct 7, 2007 #3
    It moves in the direction of the longest side - so in 45 degrees.

Then both sides undergo Lorentz-contradiction - but since the speed before is 0, the Lorentz-factor is 1?
  5. Oct 7, 2007 #4

Doc Al

If I understand you correctly (a diagram would be nice!) the long side is on the x-axis (the direction of motion) and the other sides angle upwards and meet at a vertex along the y-axis.

The proper dimensions of the triangle are as given: 1, 1, sqrt(2). From the moving frame, what is the gamma factor? (It's not 1!)

So, does the height of the triangle change? Does the length of the long side change? Draw yourself a diagram of the triangle as seen in the moving frame and recompute the angles.
  6. Oct 7, 2007 #5
    I believe the diagram is as attached.

The Lorentz-factor in the moving frame is 1/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2), where v = c/2.

So gamma = 2/sqrt(3), and the sides are L = L_0 * gamma?

Attached Files:

7. Oct 7, 2007 #6

Doc Al

Can I assume that it's moving along the x-direction? (And not parallel to the long side, as stated earlier.)

No. The side parallel to the direction of motion will appear contracted: L = L_0/gamma.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?