What angles produce a net torque of 1250 Nm on an angled arm?

In summary, the problem involves calculating the torque of different forces on a pipe and finding the angles that work with the given solution. The solution provided by the teacher is +1250 Nm, with CCW being positive torque. The sum of the torques is equal to the torque of the 500N force. The calculations involve using the equation T = FrsinΘ and setting the forces with the hypotenuse as the r. After attempting the problem, the answer obtained is +983.3 Nm. However, there were some discrepancies in the calculations, such as using the incorrect lever arm and angle for the 300N force. After receiving clarification, the correct answer is +793.3 Nm.
draupe

Homework Statement

Presentation2.jpg
My teacher gave us a solution of + 1250 Nm Where CCW = positive torque
I know that the torque of the 600N + 300N forces + 1250Nm = the torque of the 500N force.
I can't figure out what angles work with the forces at the end of the pipe.

Homework Equations

Σ T = 1250 Nm
T =Fr sinΘ

The Attempt at a Solution

ΣT = (500N x5.5m) - (600N x 1m) - (300N x 5.5m x sin 45°)

ΣT = (2750Nm) - (600Nm) - (1166.7 Nm)

ΣT = +983.3 Nm This is the answer I get when I attempted the problem.

I've also tried setting those forces with the hypotenuse as the r for the 500 and 300 N forces.
The triangle would be 4.58m base, 1.58m height. Pythagoras would say this triangle's last side( hypotenuse) would be 4.84m.

Also I tried sin of 135° turns out it is equivalent to sin 45°

ΣT = (500N x 4.84m) - (600N x 1m) - (300N x 4.84 x sin 45°)

ΣT = 2420Nm - 600Nm - 1026.7 Nm

ΣT = 793.3 Nm

Attachments

• Presentation2.jpg
    Presentation2.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 485
Physics news on Phys.org
draupe said:
ΣT = (500N x5.5m) - (600N x 1m) - (300N x 5.5m x sin 45°)
I don't get 5.5 m for the x component of the position vector of the tip. Also 5.5m x sin 45° m is not what you should be multiplying 300 N with. You need to rethink the lever arms.

Likes draupe
Thanks that helped immensely

What is net torque on an angled arm?

Net torque on an angled arm is the overall rotational force acting on an object that is attached to an angled arm. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of all the individual torques acting on the arm.

How is net torque calculated on an angled arm?

To calculate net torque on an angled arm, you need to find the individual torques acting on the arm and their respective directions. Then, you can use the equation net torque = r x F, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied, and F is the magnitude of the force.

What factors affect net torque on an angled arm?

The factors that affect net torque on an angled arm include the magnitude and direction of the individual torques, the distance from the axis of rotation to where the force is applied, and the angle of the arm relative to the axis of rotation.

How does net torque on an angled arm affect rotational equilibrium?

If the net torque on an angled arm is zero, the arm will be in rotational equilibrium, meaning it will not rotate. However, if the net torque is not zero, the arm will rotate in the direction of the larger torque.

What are some real-life applications of net torque on an angled arm?

Net torque on an angled arm is applicable in many everyday situations, such as using a wrench to loosen a bolt, using a lever to lift a heavy object, or using a steering wheel to turn a car. It is also important in understanding the mechanics of machines and structures.