Special relativity on a circle

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential paradox of special relativity in a one-dimensional, finite universe without boundaries. It is argued that in this type of universe, special relativity may not hold true and there may be a globally preferred frame of reference. This is demonstrated through the example of two objects in relative motion circling the universe and how their clocks would appear to differ based on their position in the preferred frame. The conversation also references previous discussions and papers on this topic.
Tac-Tics
I thought of an interesting paradox on my way home today.

Suppose you have one-dimensional, finite universe without boundary. A circle.

Special relativity seems to fail on this small world.

Take two objects in relative motion. As they pass by each other, they synch their clocks. Stop their clocks when they pass around a second time (after "the other" goes a full cycle around the circle).

What do their clocks say?

According to SR, the one in motion should have the slowed clock. On a flat world, this isn't a problem, because one or both has to accelerate before they can reconvene. But on a circular world, they will eventually meet again without ever leaving their frame.

So does SR not work in such a world? Or does it generalizer in a less-than-obvious way? (Or maybe I just missed something subtle).

Physics news on Phys.org
See the thread Twin paradox in a closed universe. My post #15 from that thread:

GR allows for arbitrary topologies, so it is possible to have a flat spacetime where space is nevertheless closed, a bit like the video game "Asteroids" where if you disappear off the top part of the screen you'll reappear on the bottom, and if you disappear off the right side you'll reappear on the left (technically this corresponds to the topology of a torus--see this page). In any small region of this spacetime, the laws of physics are exactly as they are in SR (with no locally preferred frames), but in a global sense there will be a preferred pseudo-inertial frame (by 'pseudo-inertial frame' I mean a global coordinate system that in any local region looks just like an inertial coordinate system in SR). This will be the frame where if you draw lines of simultaneity from a given point in spacetime, the lines will wrap around the spacetime in such a way that they return to that same point, as opposed to wrapping around it in a "slanted" way like the stripes on a candy cane. In a closed universe there is also a "hall of mirrors" effect where you see copies of every object in regular intervals in different directions, and the globally preferred frame will also have the property that observers at rest in this frame will see the nearest copies of themselves to the left and right as both being the same age, and both appear younger than the observer by an amount corresponding to their distance in the observer's frame (so if I see a copy of myself 3 light years away, his visual image will appear 3 years younger than me), while this is not true in other frames. Anyway, the answer to all twin paradox questions involving inertial twins circumnavigating the universe is that whichever of the two inertial twins is closer to being at rest in this globally preferred frame, that will be the twin who's aged more on the second of two times they cross paths.

A previous thread on this topic:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=110172

And here's a paper:

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0101014

1. What is special relativity on a circle?

Special relativity on a circle is a concept in physics that applies Einstein's theory of special relativity to objects moving in a circular path. It takes into account the effects of time dilation, length contraction, and relative motion on objects moving in a circular motion.

2. How does special relativity on a circle differ from general relativity?

Special relativity on a circle only applies to objects moving in a circular path, while general relativity applies to all objects in motion. General relativity also takes into account the effects of gravity on objects, while special relativity does not.

3. What is the formula for calculating time dilation in special relativity on a circle?

The formula for time dilation in special relativity on a circle is t' = t / √(1-v²/c²), where t' is the time measured by an observer moving in a circular path, t is the time measured by a stationary observer, v is the velocity of the moving object, and c is the speed of light.

4. How does special relativity on a circle affect the perception of time for an observer on a rotating object?

Special relativity on a circle predicts that time will appear to pass slower for an observer on a rotating object compared to a stationary observer. This is due to the effects of time dilation, which causes time to slow down as the velocity of an object approaches the speed of light.

5. Can special relativity on a circle be applied to objects in orbit around a central body?

Yes, special relativity on a circle can be applied to objects in orbit around a central body. In fact, it is essential for accurately predicting the behavior of objects such as satellites and planets in orbit around a central body, as their motion can be approximated as a circular path.