Special Relativity: time for light to traverse a rocket

In summary: It helps to see things in different perspectives. In summary, the observer sees the light take 2.5E-7 seconds to travel from the bottom of the rocket to the top, and 6.3E-8 seconds to travel from the top to the bottom. This is based on the length of the rocket being 35 meters and the rocket receding at a speed of 0.6c.
TheLil'Turkey

Homework Statement

A 35 m long rocket is receding at 0.6c. From the point of view of a stationary observer, how long does it take for light to travel (a) from the bottom of the rocket to the top and (b) from the top to the bottom?

Homework Equations

t = d/v
L = L0 / gamma

The Attempt at a Solution

a) L = 35 / gamma = 30.3 m
distance traveled by light = L + 0.6L + 0.6^2L + 0.6^3L + ... = 2.5L = 75.8 m
t = distance traveled by light/c = 2.5E-7 s

b) distance traveled by light = 1/(1 + 0.6)L = 18.9 m
t = distance traveled by light/c = 2.5E-7 s = 6.3E-8 s

Is this right? If not, please help me understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not correct. The equations you refer to in section 2 is relevant for your problem, but then you somehow calculate wrong value for gamma and get very confused about how fast light propagate showing you have missed a very special characteristic about speed of light that is fundamental to relativity.

So, can you write up an expression for gamma? And what is the speed of light in all reference frames?

Other than the calculation of gamma, which I have not checked, that looks correct.
(a) can be done without the infinite series, by noting that the light travels distance tc while the top of the rocket travels distance 0.6tc, so the difference between the two, which is the length of the rocket L, must be 0.4tc. Hence t = L/0.4 c.

Filip: Oops. I typed 0.5 instead of 0.6 in my calculator for the speed of the rocket. L = 28.0, not 30.3. I think everything else is correct.
Andrew: Thanks for showing me another way to calculate t.

What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes how objects move at speeds close to the speed of light. It explains how time and space are affected by the speed of an object and how they are relative to the observer.

How does special relativity affect the time it takes for light to traverse a rocket?

According to special relativity, time is relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that the time it takes for light to traverse a rocket will be different for an observer on the rocket compared to an observer on Earth. This is because the rocket is moving at high speeds, causing time to slow down for the observer on the rocket.

What is the time dilation effect in special relativity?

The time dilation effect in special relativity refers to the phenomenon where time moves slower for objects that are moving at high speeds. This is due to the fact that as an object's speed approaches the speed of light, time slows down for that object. This has been proven through experiments and is a fundamental aspect of special relativity.

Can special relativity be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, special relativity can be applied to everyday situations. For example, the GPS system we use in our phones and cars must take into account the time dilation effect in order to accurately calculate our location. This is because the GPS satellites are moving at high speeds and their clocks would run at a different rate if not adjusted for special relativity.

Are there any practical applications of special relativity?

Yes, there are many practical applications of special relativity. Apart from GPS systems, special relativity is also used in particle accelerators, space travel, and nuclear power plants. Understanding the principles of special relativity is crucial in these fields for accurate calculations and predictions.