Specific heat Capacities of metals

In summary, the conversation discusses the general formula for specific heat capacity, which includes contributions from both electrons and phonons. The constant a is the Sommerfield constant and b is a constant that is unknown. The person is looking for help in determining b using the given values of T and a. The suggestion is made to use the Dulong-Petit law to find b, which will tend towards the law at room temperature for many metals. The person also asks where they can find the value of N, which represents the degrees of freedom.
ralden
Hi Admin, please allow me to post this here:

The General Formula for Specific Heat Capacity is:

C(Total) = C(electron)+C(phonon)

C(electron) = aT
where a is the sommerfield constant.

C(phonon) = bT^3

this time i don't know what is b (some constant)

so my problem is, how can i determine b, if the only given are T, and a?

i'm trying to plot the given a's of metals and their corresponding C(electron) at 300k
but there is no relation between C(electron and C(phonon) or a and b.

so please, guys help me.thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The specific heat capacity will tend towards the Dulong-Petit law at room temperature for many metals. You could use that to find your constant b.

so are you saying that the C(Specifc heat capacity) at room temperature using Dulong-Petit equation is

C= 3RN?

so where can i get the N=Degrees of freedom?

What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is expressed in units of J/(g·K) or J/(kg·K) for metals.

How is specific heat capacity measured?

Specific heat capacity can be measured by using a calorimeter, which is a device that measures the amount of heat released or absorbed by a substance during a temperature change. The specific heat capacity can then be calculated using the equation Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

Why do different metals have different specific heat capacities?

The specific heat capacity of a metal is determined by its atomic and molecular structure. Different metals have different arrangements of atoms and molecules, which affects the amount of energy required to raise their temperature. For example, metals with larger atomic/molecular mass tend to have higher specific heat capacities.

How does specific heat capacity affect the thermal conductivity of a metal?

Specific heat capacity and thermal conductivity are related, but they are not the same thing. Specific heat capacity measures the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance, while thermal conductivity measures how well a substance can transfer heat. In general, metals with higher specific heat capacities also have higher thermal conductivities.

What are some practical applications of knowing the specific heat capacities of metals?

Understanding the specific heat capacities of metals is important in various industries, such as engineering, construction, and metallurgy. It can help in designing efficient heating and cooling systems, selecting materials for specific applications, and predicting the behavior of metals under different temperature conditions.