Specific Heat Capacity of a brass cylinder

In summary, the conversation is discussing the specific heat capacity of paraffin in a thermal transfer experiment. The question involves a brass cylinder and an aluminium can containing paraffin, with specific heat capacity values given. The student's answer is different from the teacher's, and another person's answer does not include the mass of the cylinder. The expert suggests that the specific heat capacity of brass may be incorrect and that the method used by the student is correct.
greenfloss

Homework Statement

The temperature of a brass cylinder of mass 100g was raised to 100 degree celsius and then transferred to a thin aluminium can of negligible heat capacity. The aluminium can contained 150g of paraffin at 11 degree celcius. If the final steady temperature after stirring was 20 degree celsius, claculate the specific heat capacity of paraffin

(Neglect heat losses, and assume specific heat capacity of brass= 38 J/gK

Homework Equations

Specific heat capacity * mass * change in temperature = Energy lost/gained

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer given by my teacher is: 2250J/Kg.K

My answer and workings:

100 * 28 * 80 = 150 * 9 * Specific heat capacity of paraffin

Specific Heat Capacity = 225 J/g.K

Even if I change this value to J/kg.K (which I don't know how to), I won't get the answer my teacher gave- that much I can tell :-(

Someone I asked gave the correct answer, but they didn't take the weight of the cylinder into account. Why is this possible?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Based on the numbers in your question, I get the same answer as you. I think problem is with the specific heat capacity of brass. I think it should be 0.38 J/gK (I looked it up). Using that value will give you the same answer as your teacher if you convert it to J/kgK. Are you sure you copied it down right?

greenfloss said:

Someone I asked gave the correct answer, but they didn't take the weight of the cylinder into account. Why is this possible?

Well, I can't see how they got the right answer by doing that, why would they leave out the mass of the cylinder only? Did they still include the mass of the paraffin? I think it might just be coincidence that it came out to the right answer. But I don't think the units would match that of your teacher's answer (so technically it would be wrong). I'm just guessing since I don't know what they really did.

Thank you sooo much! So my method is right then. That's all I wanted to know. :-D

What is the specific heat capacity of a brass cylinder?

The specific heat capacity of a brass cylinder varies depending on the type of brass and its temperature. On average, it is around 385 joules per kilogram per degree Celsius (J/kg°C).

How is the specific heat capacity of a brass cylinder measured?

The specific heat capacity of a brass cylinder is typically measured using a calorimeter. The cylinder is heated to a known temperature and then placed in a container of water. The change in temperature of the water is measured, and from there, the specific heat capacity of the cylinder can be calculated.

Why is the specific heat capacity of a brass cylinder important?

The specific heat capacity of a brass cylinder is important in understanding how heat is transferred and stored in the cylinder. It also plays a role in determining the amount of energy needed to heat or cool the cylinder, as well as its thermal conductivity.

Does the specific heat capacity of a brass cylinder change with temperature?

Yes, the specific heat capacity of a brass cylinder does change with temperature. As the temperature increases, the specific heat capacity decreases, meaning that it takes less energy to raise the temperature of the cylinder. This is due to changes in the internal structure of the brass at different temperatures.

How does the specific heat capacity of a brass cylinder compare to other materials?

Brass has a relatively high specific heat capacity compared to other common materials, such as aluminum and steel. This means that it takes more energy to raise the temperature of a brass cylinder compared to these materials. However, it has a lower specific heat capacity compared to materials like water and copper.