Heat Capacity and specific heat

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between heat capacity and specific heat, and the correct use of vocabulary when referring to these concepts. The formula for heat capacity is given as mc, where m is the mass and c is the specific heat. The formula for specific heat capacity is given as C/m, where C is the heat capacity and m is the mass. It is noted that "specific heat" is often used incorrectly instead of "specific heat capacity."
garyd

Homework Statement

I am confused about what the difference between specific heat and heat capacity is. I have a block of metal (Aluminium) which I had to record dimensions and calculate the heat capacity of the block.
I am just wondering am I doing the correct calculation?

Homework Equations

Heat capacity = specific heat * mass (units J/°C)

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct use of the vocabulary:
"heat capacity" is an object property ... the block ... units J/K , symbol C , formula mc
"specific heat capacity" is a material property ... aluminum... , units J/kgK, symbol c , (formula C/m)
(if the mass has been divided out, it is called "specific", ... as "specific impulse" of a propellant material).
"specific heat capacity" is often improperly shortened to "specific heat".

lightgrav said:
Correct use of the vocabulary:
"heat capacity" is an object property ... the block ... units J/K , symbol C , formula mc
"specific heat capacity" is a material property ... aluminum... , units J/kgK, symbol c , (formula C/m)
(if the mass has been divided out, it is called "specific", ... as "specific impulse" of a propellant material).
"specific heat capacity" is often improperly shortened to "specific heat".

Thanks very much.

What is heat capacity and how is it measured?

Heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is measured by dividing the amount of heat energy absorbed by the substance by the change in temperature.

What is specific heat and why is it important?

Specific heat is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is important because it helps determine how much heat energy is needed to raise the temperature of a specific substance and how it will react to changes in temperature.

How do heat capacity and specific heat relate to each other?

Heat capacity and specific heat are related by the equation Q = mCΔT, where Q is the amount of heat energy absorbed, m is the mass of the substance, C is the specific heat, and ΔT is the change in temperature. This equation shows that heat capacity is directly proportional to specific heat.

What factors affect the heat capacity and specific heat of a substance?

The heat capacity and specific heat of a substance can be affected by its mass, composition, and molecular structure. Substances with higher mass and more complex molecular structures tend to have higher heat capacities and specific heats.

How are heat capacity and specific heat used in real-world applications?

Heat capacity and specific heat are used in many industries, such as cooking, heating and cooling systems, and materials engineering. They are also important in understanding the effects of climate change and predicting the behavior of substances in various environments.