Calculating Speed: Understanding the Rate of Motion in a Jumping Dog

In summary, the dog's speed while jumping out of the bath tub can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem and basic physics equations. The distance the dog traveled is approximately 150 cm in 1 second, resulting in a speed of 1.5 m/s. The angle of the trajectory is not known, but the focus is on the magnitude of the speed. The Y-velocity of the dog can be calculated using V = Vi + At, while the X-velocity can be calculated using X = Xi + Vit. The final speed of the dog can be found using the Pythagorean theorem.
member 563992
Hi everyone. I am trying to understand what is the speed of my dog with which he is jumping out of the bath tub. I calculated to -4.9 m/s which is half of g.

Code:
--A---.
  ^   |
  h   |
  v   _____B___
|<-------->|
        d

Here are some details that are known:
h = 53cm
Vi = 0
g = -9.8 m/s^2
d = 140cm

I also appreciated that it took him to reach point B from point A in roughly 1 second (that is, from the moment he jumped from A, middle of bath tub and reached ground floor at point B, 1 second passed.

I've tried v = d/delta t, where d = -4.9 so -4.9/1 = -4.9 m/s

Is this correct?

P.S.: i do not know the angle

Physics news on Phys.org
By the Pythagorean theorem, then, Your dog moved a distance [itex]\sqrt{53^2+ 140^2}= 150[/itex] cm in 1second (I cannot see how you got a distance of 4.9 meters!) so 150 cm/s= 1.5 m/s.

It doesn't makes sense to say "4.9 m/s" is "half of g" because g is (approximately) 9.8 m/s^2, an acceleration not a speed.

Likes member 563992
There must be an angle.Cause without any angle dog can't jump directly forward.
Lets assume that angle 60 degree.Now we need to consider.Inital velocity which let's call it V.V has two components here ##V_x## and ##V_y##.Now ##V_x## component will determine the distance from inital point.##V_x=d/t## , ,d=Vtflight.Now here we know d and t so we can calculate ##V_x##.Theres 60 degree so we can calculate other components easily
(Use meter to calculate distance)

Likes member 563992
Well I do not really care about the angle since all I'm interested in is the magnitude.
For -4.9 m/s (for those of you who are very precise: roughly -4.9 m/s) and I think I now realize that I got rid of the units assuming that I can do it whenever I got a multiplication with 0 (see Vi):
[tex]
d = \vec{V_{i}} \frac{m}{s} * \Delta t \ s + \frac{1}{2} * \vec{a} \ \frac{m}{s^{2}} * \Delta t ^{2} \ s \\ \Rightarrow
d = 0 + \frac{\vec{a}}{2} \ \frac{m}{s^{2}} * \Delta t ^{2} \ s \\ \Rightarrow
d = \frac{\vec{a}}{2} \ \frac{m}{s} * \Delta t ^{2} \Rightarrow d = \frac{\vec{a}}{2} \ \frac{m}{s} * 1 \\ \Rightarrow d = -4.9 \frac{m}{s}[/tex]

Theres must be an angle.
And your physics is not correct.
You need to think its jumbed.
First think d is a distance properity.Not speed.
You said d=4.9 m/s which its not correct.Your equations is not true.https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/proxy/zyJokwRomrlxyDaGg2MrVVNPqZRnMU52XiFIKou5g9qOT2NvWFA-IETGNV2DXum1R0uvxY15gYbcgeICB2CCJejmyS2uY_5S_6HaqG7rSRnLEW-PvNdTqAeJZlQd=w483-h305-nc

I am trying to explain the idea of physics in the picture.Which your dog follow the same trajectory I guess.

Likes member 563992
RyanH42 said:
Theres must be an angle.
Yes, I agree there is an angle. What I said is that I am not interested in finding it because I only want the magnitude.

RyanH42 said:
And your physics is not correct.
You need to think its jumbed.
First think d is a distance properity.Not speed.
You said d=4.9 m/s which its not correct.Your equations is not true.https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/proxy/zyJokwRomrlxyDaGg2MrVVNPqZRnMU52XiFIKou5g9qOT2NvWFA-IETGNV2DXum1R0uvxY15gYbcgeICB2CCJejmyS2uY_5S_6HaqG7rSRnLEW-PvNdTqAeJZlQd=w483-h305-nc

I am trying to explain the idea of physics in the picture.Which your dog follow the same trajectory I guess.

Yes, I just realized it's really screwed up and I cannot derive like in maths but have to stick to making sense out of it. Of course distance is measured in meters not unit/time.

I will come back later with a full solution to it. BTW what software did you use to draw the graph?

To find the Y velocity, you only need to calculate from the bottom of the tub to the highest point the dog reached (assuming that the tub floor is the same height as the ground). If we just use the time of the jump, we can use an easier equation: V = Vi + At. Final velocity is zero since we are only calculating to the point where the dog's Y velocity is zero, which is halfway through the jump. Time is 0.5 seconds.
0 = Vi + (-9.81)(0.5)
Vi = 4.9 m/s

To find the X-velocity, we can also use a simpler equation than what you used if we assume air resistance is negligible: X = Xi + Vit
1.4 = 0 + Vi(1)
1.4 = Vi
Vi = 1.4 m/s

By the Pythagorean theorem: V = √1.42 + 4.92
V = 5.09 m/s

Last edited:
Likes member 563992
Standby, I'm editing my above post.
Edit: Editing done.

Likes member 563992

1. How is speed calculated as a function of time?

Speed is calculated as the distance traveled divided by the time taken. This is represented by the equation: speed = distance / time. For example, if a car travels 100 miles in 2 hours, its speed would be 50 miles per hour.

2. What is the relationship between speed and time?

Speed and time have a direct relationship, meaning that as time increases, speed also increases. This can be seen in the equation for speed: speed = distance / time. As time increases, the denominator decreases, resulting in a larger overall value for speed.

3. Can speed be constant as time changes?

Yes, speed can remain constant even as time changes. This is called uniform motion and occurs when an object travels at a constant speed over a period of time.

4. How does acceleration affect speed as a function of time?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's speed over time. If an object experiences acceleration, its speed will change as time passes. The greater the acceleration, the faster the speed will change.

5. How is speed represented on a graph of time?

On a graph of time versus speed, speed is typically represented on the y-axis (vertical axis) and time on the x-axis (horizontal axis). The slope of the line on the graph represents the speed as a function of time, with steeper slopes indicating faster speeds and gentler slopes indicating slower speeds.