Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed at which molecules break down using electricity

1. Jul 18, 2012 #1
    When breaking down a molecule using electricity, what determines how much of the substance is broken down per second. Is it the voltage, current, or something else I'm not thinking of?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Jul 19, 2012 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It all very much depends upon what molecule you're discussing; this question relates very closely to the Chemistry involved. Some will require an electric field of only a few volts per metre whilst some will require Megavolts per metre.
    If you consider the way Oxygen molecules bond to Haemoglobin in the red cells, only a very slight difference in concentration of Oxygen will cause the Oxygen to be held or released. the electrical potentials in each case must be extremely low.

5. Jul 19, 2012 #4
    I need some suggestion for preparing GATE 2013 Electrical Engg where as I have completed my BE In Electronics and Telecomm.How to prepare for Gate and which reference is to be used.
    Thanking you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook