Speed at which molecules break down using electricity

Main Question or Discussion Point

When breaking down a molecule using electricity, what determines how much of the substance is broken down per second. Is it the voltage, current, or something else I'm not thinking of?

Answers and Replies

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
When breaking down a molecule using electricity, what determines how much of the substance is broken down per second. Is it the voltage, current, or something else I'm not thinking of?
It all very much depends upon what molecule you're discussing; this question relates very closely to the Chemistry involved. Some will require an electric field of only a few volts per metre whilst some will require Megavolts per metre.
If you consider the way Oxygen molecules bond to Haemoglobin in the red cells, only a very slight difference in concentration of Oxygen will cause the Oxygen to be held or released. the electrical potentials in each case must be extremely low.

I need some suggestion for preparing GATE 2013 Electrical Engg where as I have completed my BE In Electronics and Telecomm.How to prepare for Gate and which reference is to be used.
Thanking you