Speed of sound in steel dependance on temperature

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Karlos
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Hello,

Nice easy question for you all today:

I would like to know how the speed of sound in steel varies with temperature. A google search didnt reveal a great deal, so if a physicist could confirm the relationship, that would be much appreciated.

I know that: v = √shear modulus/density

However, I am also aware that both shear modulus and density ought to decrease with increasing temperature.

So I suppose its a matter of which one decreases by the largest fraction for a given temperature rise! I don't know the answer.

So...does the speed of sound in steel increase or decrease with increasing temeprature?

A secondary question...is there any dependence on frequency? (ultrasound vs low freq for example)

Thank you for your time.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You could look up the temperature coefficients of those two quantities in steel and plot yourself a graph. You have the correct formula. :smile:
I think this link could be useful for dispersion information.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman