1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Speed of sound in steel dependance on temperature

1. Jul 29, 2017 #1
    Hello,

Nice easy question for you all today:

I would like to know how the speed of sound in steel varies with temperature. A google search didnt reveal a great deal, so if a physicist could confirm the relationship, that would be much appreciated.

I know that: v = √shear modulus/density

However, im also aware that both shear modulus and density ought to decrease with increasing temperature.

So I suppose its a matter of which one decreases by the largest fraction for a given temperature rise! I dont know the answer.

So...does the speed of sound in steel increase or decrease with increasing temeprature?

A secondary question...is there any dependance on frequency? (ultrasound vs low freq for example)

Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2017 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

You could look up the temperature coefficients of those two quantities in steel and plot yourself a graph. You have the correct formula. :smile:
    I think this link could be useful for dispersion information.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted