What happens to a car's speed on ice?

• Thread starter conkie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Ice
In summary, if a car is traveling at 30mph on concrete and hits a 1mile patch of solid ice, it will most likely continue at the same speed due to the lack of friction on the ice. However, if the ice is wet, the car may experience a decrease in speed due to the higher amount of friction from the tires. External forces such as aerodynamic drag may also play a role in deceleration.
conkie
If a car is traveling at 30mph on concrete and hits a 1mile patch of solid ice what speed would it be traveling at on the ice

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this homework? What do you think the answer is?

Not homework just an idiot in Texas and I think you travel faster but maybe it's adrenaline

Not homework just an 47 year old idiot in Texas and I think you travel faster but maybe it's adrenaline

Whether you assume much less friction or even no friction at all, there is no change in speed when you get to the ice.

Actually, there is a deceleration, assuming that you don't have 30 mph or higher tailwind. Even with no friction from the ice (which isn't possible), aerodynamic drag will slow you down.

edit: Hang on a sec... Conkie didn't say whether he stays on the gas, comes off of it and coasts, or hits the brakes. My answer was based upon closing the throttle and/or braking.

It's the "oh shiiiiii- I can't stop if I wanted to" that makes you feel as though you are going faster.

On the ice you are are most likely going marginally slower regardless of what you do. You are unlikely to accelerate (unless you are goign down hill) as you can't put down any power (wheels just spin). You still have drag and a moderate amount of rollign resistance slowing you.

russ_watters said:
Whether you assume much less friction or even no friction at all, there is no change in speed when you get to the ice.
The extra "speed" sensation is actually just the adrenaline rush when you see the world spinning by, left to right, as you do horizontal cartwheels down the highway.
Bob S

I know you're saying to yourself, "this thread needs more equations." So here we go.

You can approach the car from an energy standpoint were the kinetic energy of the car (KE) is

[tex]KE =\frac{1}{2}m\: v^{2}[/tex]

(m=mass, v=velocity)

Unless you are adding energy by some means, which you could by stepping on the gas or with a tail wind, you cannot gain energy and therefore cannot increase in speed. In reality there will be external forces acting against the car due to friction (though ice is slippery, there will still be some friction) and aerodynamic drag. These forces will decelerate the car according to Newton's second law:

[tex]F=m\:a[/tex]

(F=total force, a=acceleration)

If the gas pedal were depressed so as to enter the ice patch at a constant velocity (no acceleration), the wind friction from just about every vehicle more streamlined than a milk truck would not be enough to overcome the slight friction of the tires on "solid ice" as mentioned in the OP. As a result, the vehicle would continue with the same velocity.

But if we change the conditions and it becomes wet ice, all bets are off. Very slick stuff, wet ice. While ice on ice is 0.1, that's regular ice. That of teflon or steel on teflon is 0.04, while rubber on wet ice is just 0.05. to 0.1, depending on the type of rubber.

http://www.ameslab.gov/final/News/2008rel/Nanocoatings.html" is about half that of teflon.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: What happens to a car's speed on ice?

1. How does a car on ice come to a complete stop from 30mph?

A car on ice comes to a complete stop from 30mph through a combination of factors, including the friction between the tires and the ice, the braking system of the car, and the weight and momentum of the vehicle.

2. Can a car on ice stop faster than a car on dry pavement?

No, a car on ice cannot stop faster than a car on dry pavement. The reduced friction on ice makes it more difficult for the car to come to a complete stop compared to the higher friction on dry pavement.

3. Why is it important to maintain a safe distance when driving a car on ice?

It is important to maintain a safe distance when driving a car on ice because the stopping distance is longer compared to driving on dry pavement. This allows for more time to react and brake in case of any unexpected obstacles or hazards.

4. How can I prevent my car from skidding on ice?

To prevent your car from skidding on ice, it is important to drive slowly and carefully, avoid sudden movements or braking, and ensure that your tires have enough tread and are properly inflated. It is also recommended to use winter tires for better traction on icy roads.

5. What should I do if my car starts to skid on ice?

If your car starts to skid on ice, it is important to remain calm and not panic. Avoid using the brakes and instead, gently steer in the direction of the skid until you regain control of the car. If possible, try to steer towards a safe area such as an empty parking lot or a clear patch of road.