Sphere rolling down a ramp linear acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a solid sphere rolling down a ramp without slipping and determining the linear acceleration at any point on the ramp. The equation for finding linear velocity is given as √(10gh/7), and it is mentioned that Newton's Second Law can be used to find the frictional force without actually calculating it. The correct answer is determined to be (5/7)g*sin(theta) by setting up a force body diagram and using the equations of motion.
velvetymoogle

Homework Statement

"A solid sphere of radius R and mass M is initially at rest at the top of a ramp. The lowest point of the sphere is a vertical h above the base of the ramp. It is released and rolls without slipping down the ramp. Determine the linear acceleration while the sphere is anywhere on the ramp.

M (mass), R (radius), h (height), g (gravity), theta

Homework Equations

conservation of momentum
I = 2/5MR^2
w = v/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I ended up finding the linear velocity anywhere on the ramp to be square root of 10gh/7. How would I be able to use that though to find acceleration? I seriously don't know what else to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply Newton 2nd Law twice, for linear and rotational motion. Friction is providing a net torque.

That requires that I find the frictional force, but that's the next question so there has to be some way I can do it without knowing the friction force.

You don't need to calculate the friction force. Just call it F and get the value from one of the equations and substitute in the other equation.

The right answer is [itex]\frac{5}{7}g\sin\theta[/itex]. Did you find it? :smile:

Yes, I did. Thanks for your help. Would you be able to explain how I would get the frictional force then? Is it just F = m times that or is it -mgsin(theta) because it's on a ramp?

You got two equations before. Solve one to get the value of F. :smile:

pmp! is correct.

It'd be helpful to draw a force body diagram to really grasp the idea of this =).

There's a normal force, a force of a friction, a force of gravity pulling it down in the x and y direction. There's an incline on the ramp (theta).

We know in the Y direction it's not accelerating; thus we can set that summination in the Y axis to 0. However in the X axis we do have a mass that's accelerating; thus we can set that summination in the X direction to mass * acceleration.

After you setup your forces you can then figure it all out mathematically.

Last edited:
Oooh okay. That really helps. (I didn't originally use force equations to find the linear acceleration). I used vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad. Is the correct answer:
(2mgsin(theta))/7?

What is a sphere rolling down a ramp?

A sphere rolling down a ramp is a classic example used in physics to demonstrate the concept of linear acceleration. It involves a spherical object moving down an inclined plane due to the force of gravity.

What factors affect the linear acceleration of a sphere rolling down a ramp?

The linear acceleration of a sphere rolling down a ramp is affected by several factors. These include the angle of the ramp, the mass and radius of the sphere, and the surface material of the ramp.

How is linear acceleration calculated for a sphere rolling down a ramp?

The linear acceleration of a sphere rolling down a ramp can be calculated using the formula a = g sinθ, where a is the linear acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the ramp.

What is the relationship between the angle of the ramp and the linear acceleration of a sphere rolling down?

The angle of the ramp and the linear acceleration of a sphere rolling down have a direct relationship. As the angle of the ramp increases, the linear acceleration also increases, and vice versa.

What are some real-life applications of the concept of linear acceleration in a sphere rolling down a ramp?

The concept of linear acceleration in a sphere rolling down a ramp has many practical applications. Some examples include designing roller coasters, calculating the speed and trajectory of objects rolling down hills, and understanding the motion of objects on inclines.