1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical coordinates equation

1. Jul 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Identify surface whose equation in spherical coordinates is given
    p = sin(theta)*sin(fi)

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that y = r*sin(theta)*sin(fi). and thus, y = rp.

This yields y = (x2 + y2)0.5*(x2 + y2+z2)0.5

However, this is rather ugly. The answer is supposed to be "a sphere with radius 0.5, center (0. 0.5, 0)" however, I don't see how that results from this expression.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is p supposed to be?

4. Jul 10, 2009 #3
    p is ro. p = (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^0.5

5. Jul 10, 2009 #4
    I'm guessing that the expression should read something like

[tex]
    r = \sin\theta\sin\phi
    [/tex]

where [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex] are your polar angles. First, look in the x-y plane, where [tex]\theta=90^\circ[/tex]. This simplifies to

[tex]
    r = \sin\phi.
    [/tex]

Now, apply [tex]r[/tex] to the equations linking polar and Cartesian coordinates, for [tex]\theta=90^\circ[/tex], as

[tex]
    x = r\cos\phi
    [/tex]

[tex]
    y = r\sin\phi.
    [/tex]

You'll see they come out to be

[tex]
    x = \sin\phi\cos\phi
    [/tex]

[tex]
    y = \sin^2\phi.
    [/tex]

Next, recall the double-angle formulas that [tex]\sin(2x) = 2\sin x\cos x[/tex] and [tex] \cos(2x) = 1 - 2 \sin^2 x[/tex]. I'll leave it as an exercise to substitute these back into the expressions for [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex]. What you should notice is that your values should now look like

[tex]
    x = A \sin(2\phi)
    [/tex]

and

[tex]
    y = A \cos(2\phi) + B
    [/tex]

where [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]B[/tex] are numbers. You should recognize this as the parametric representation of a circle, at the coordinate [tex](0,B)[/tex].

Now, this doesn't exactly answer your question, but it should hopefully get you to visualize how the surface should be a sphere. Particularly, if you repeat this exercise in the y-z plane, where [tex]\phi=90^\circ[/tex], you should find find another case where the result is a circle, offset from the origin by some distance [tex]B[/tex].

I think that, once you've identified what [tex]B[/tex] is, you can look into the coordinate transformation of

[tex]
    x' = x, \quad y' = y + B, \quad z' = z
    [/tex]

and then determine [tex]r' = \sqrt{x'^2 + y'^2 + z'^2}[/tex] which should be a constant. If this is the case, it shows that this surface is a sphere centered at [tex](0,B,0)[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook