Spikes in CMOS Inverter transients

In summary, the spikes you're seeing are caused by parasitic capacitance between the inverter input and output. Increasing the load capacitance may reduce or eliminate the spikes, but it would also reduce the efficiency of the inverter.
reddvoid
I am simulating cmos inverter in CADENCE
I am getting a sharp spike when output is going from low to high
and spike became more amplified like when i made rise time and fall time of input rectangular pulse signal very low . . .can somebody explain why this happening ?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
A current spike or a voltage spike?

reddvoid said:
I am simulating cmos inverter in CADENCE
I am getting a sharp spike when output is going from low to high
and spike became more amplified like when i made rise time and fall time of input rectangular pulse signal very low . . .can somebody explain why this happening ?

With the CMOS inverter, isn't there a point during transition where both of the devices are conducting simultaneously? With static input, one or other of the transistors is fully OFF, but during transition from one state to the other, for a moment both transistors are partly ON, hence the rush of current you observe.

its a voltage spike
like this
attachment.php?attachmentid=73055&stc=1&d=1410509513.jpg

sry, its happening when output is going from high to low

Attachments

• del.JPG
    del.JPG
    2.1 KB · Views: 1,933
It would be helpful if you were to indicate 0V and +Vcc levels.

I understand this is for an unbuffered inverter?

Your output's load is currently an open circuit? Try a reasonable load, and see how this improves. Say, 1MΩ for starters. Just guessing, but it could well be feedthrough of the input.

Last edited:
I notice this Cadence tutorial connects a 50 f(emto?)F capacitor to their cmos inverter for an output load.
Might that be its purpose?

See page 22 ff...
http://scholar.cu.edu.eg/?q=hmostafa/files/cadencetutorial.pdf

Figure 3 on page 38 shows a similar spike caused by changing transistor size.

Wow that's quite a simulation...

just a guess

old jim

snapshots

this is the circuit
attachment.php?attachmentid=73070&stc=1&d=1410523619.png

simulation
attachment.php?attachmentid=73071&stc=1&d=1410523619.png

attachment.php?attachmentid=73073&stc=1&d=1410523763.png

Yes output was floating,
then i tried 5fF load
and resistive load from 1k to 1M.
still getting spikes in all the simulations .
attachment.php?attachmentid=73074&stc=1&d=1410524786.png

different cap loads

Attachments

• Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    11.8 KB · Views: 2,582
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,962
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    7.2 KB · Views: 815
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    21 KB · Views: 1,780
  • Capture5.PNG
    Capture5.PNG
    17.7 KB · Views: 2,102
Last edited:
These spikes are caused by parasitic capacitance between the inverter input and output. Most of it is the gate-drain capacitance in the MOS transistor. When the output is high and the input transitions from low to high, the voltage across this parasitic capacitance cannot change instantaneously, so some of the input step gets coupled to the output. It is a real effect. The spike is larger on the rising edge of the input because the PMOS G-D capacitiance is larger than the NMOS (I think - you could check this in the SPICE model by looking at the Cgd parameter).

You are seeing it because it's meant to be there. If a problem you might see it reduce if you were to increase the risetime of the gate voltage, so it rises less sharply. The height of the spike is probably limited (clamped) by a pn junction to Vcc. Adding load capacitance is not viable.

I agree with phyzguy, it is capacitive coupling.

The threshold voltages of the two mosfets must be chosen so there is little through current during a transition.
When the input goes high, the upper mosfet should turn off before the lower mosfet turns on.

During the short period that both mosfets are off, the inverter input is being capacitively coupled directly to the output load by the CGD of both mosfets in parallel.

The ratio of transition spike energy is related to the ratio of mosfet CGD.
The effective CGD is voltage dependent and highest during transition.

got it :) Thanks guys .

What causes spikes in CMOS inverter transients?

Spikes in CMOS inverter transients are caused by parasitic capacitances and inductances in the circuit. These parasitic components can create unintended voltage and current spikes, leading to distortion in the output signal.

How can spikes in CMOS inverter transients be reduced?

To reduce spikes in CMOS inverter transients, designers can use techniques such as adding decoupling capacitors, adjusting circuit layout, and using filtering techniques. These methods help to minimize the effects of parasitic components and improve the overall performance of the circuit.

Why are spikes in CMOS inverter transients problematic?

Spikes in CMOS inverter transients can cause malfunctions in the circuit, affecting the reliability and accuracy of the output signal. They can also lead to increased power consumption and potential damage to the components in the circuit.

Can spikes in CMOS inverter transients be completely eliminated?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate spikes in CMOS inverter transients, they can be minimized to a level that does not significantly affect the performance of the circuit. Careful design and layout techniques, along with appropriate filtering, can help reduce the impact of spikes on the output signal.

Are there any other factors that can contribute to spikes in CMOS inverter transients?

In addition to parasitic capacitances and inductances, other factors such as temperature, power supply voltage fluctuations, and signal frequency can also contribute to spikes in CMOS inverter transients. It is important for designers to consider these factors and implement appropriate measures to minimize their effect on the circuit.