Understanding Spin 1 Particles: Exploring Spinor States

In summary, the conversation discusses the measurement of a particle's spin and the determination of its spinor state. The question is whether a particle with spin 1 and measured to have m=1 along the x direction would have a spinor state represented by a column vector of (1,0,0) or by multiplying the Sx matrix by a column vector and working out their values. The respondent suggests looking at the three-dimensional representation of SU(2) and finding the appropriate eigenvectors for the m=1 state. The conversation concludes by directing the person to the appropriate forum for further assistance.
Simp
Hi there,
I have a question, something that is confusing me.
If a particle of spin 1 is measured to have m=1 along the x direction, would the spinor state just be a column vector with (1,0,0), which would also be the spinor if x was infact z. OR would the spinor be determined by multiplying the Sx matrix by a column vector of (a,b,c,d) and letting this equal the eigenvalue (hbar in this case) muliplied by column vector (a,b,c,d) and working out their values and normalising.?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I would write down the three-dimensional representation of SU(2) and look for the appropriate eigenvectors (which you call spinor states). An m=1 state along x is described by an eigenvector of S_x with eigenvalue 1, right?

I am not sure what you mean by SU(2) ?

Simp, welcome to PhysicsForums.
However, your thread is in the wrong forum, as this is the Quantum Mechanics forum and not the Physics Homework forum. If you need assistance with your homework problems, may I direct you to the appropriate forum: https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152
Thank you.

What is a spin 1 particle?

A spin 1 particle is a type of elementary particle with a spin value of 1, meaning it has an intrinsic angular momentum. Examples of spin 1 particles include the W and Z bosons, which are responsible for the weak nuclear force.

What is a spinor state?

A spinor state is a mathematical representation of a particle's spin. It describes the orientation of the particle's spin relative to a chosen reference frame. Spinor states are commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the properties of particles with spin.

How is spin 1 related to other spin values?

Spin values are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values. A spin 1 particle has a spin value of 1, which is the maximum value for a spin in quantum mechanics. Other common spin values include 1/2 and 0.

Can a spin 1 particle have a negative spin?

No, spin is always a positive value. However, a spin 1 particle can have a negative projection of spin along a certain axis, meaning it is spinning in the opposite direction of that axis.

How is spin 1 used in particle physics?

Spin 1 particles play a crucial role in the Standard Model of particle physics. They are responsible for the weak nuclear force, which is one of the four fundamental forces in nature. Spin 1 particles are also used in experiments to study the properties of matter and to understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe.