Spin assumption for fermions in potential well.

In summary, when solving a 2-particle fermion problem in a potential well, the wavefunction should be set to be anti-symmetric if the particles have the same spin. However, if the particles have different spins, the wavefunction should be symmetric. For more than 2 fermions, all possible scenarios must be considered and the resulting wavefunctions must be linearly combined, which can be done using a Slater determinant.
ranytawfik
Hi,
Assume I’m solving a 2-particle (fermions) problem in a potential well. If I set the wavefunction as anti-symmetric, then by default I’m assuming that the two particles has the same spin and hence exchange interaction has to be accommodated for.

But what if the 2 fermions have different spins? Shouldn't in this case I set the wavefunction to be only symmetric (since no Pauli exclusion here)? And what would be the final wave function? Is it a normalized linear combination of the 4 cases (2 ups, 2 downs, and 2 mixed-spin)?

Thanks for your help on that.

Physics news on Phys.org
For two identical spin-1/2 particles in different potential-well eigenstates, there are four possible spin states:
$$
| \alpha \alpha \rangle \\
\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( | \alpha \beta \rangle + | \beta \alpha \rangle \right) \\
| \beta \beta \rangle \\
\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( | \alpha \beta \rangle - | \beta \alpha \rangle \right)
$$
The first three are symmetric, and therefore the corresponding spatial wave function is anti-symmetric, while the last one is anti-symmetric, requiring a symmetric spatial wave function.

So to answer your question: you have to consider all possible linear combinations of spins that have a defined symmetry, and combine each with a spatial wave function of the propoer symmetry such that the total wave function obeys Pauli's principle.

Thanks Dr Claude. Your answer make sense and consistent with my understanding. I'm assuming the same concept can be applied if we have more than 2 fermions (3 for example)? We have to list all the scenarios, assign correct symmetricity, and finally linearly combine the resulting wavefunctions.

ranytawfik said:
I'm assuming the same concept can be applied if we have more than 2 fermions (3 for example)? We have to list all the scenarios, assign correct symmetricity, and finally linearly combine the resulting wavefunctions.

Yes. But as the number of fermions increases, it becomes very difficult to figure out by hand how to make the correct linear combinations. Fortunately, this is easily done using a Slater determinant.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the spin assumption for fermions in a potential well?

The spin assumption for fermions in a potential well is a theoretical concept that describes the behavior of subatomic particles, such as electrons, in a confined space. It assumes that fermions have intrinsic spin, which determines their angular momentum and affects their interactions with other particles.

2. How does the spin assumption affect the energy levels of fermions in a potential well?

The spin assumption has a significant impact on the energy levels of fermions in a potential well. It states that fermions with half-integer spin, such as electrons, can only occupy certain energy levels, known as "allowed" energy levels. This leads to the formation of distinct energy bands in the potential well.

3. What happens when a fermion violates the spin assumption in a potential well?

If a fermion violates the spin assumption in a potential well, it is not allowed to occupy the energy levels that are reserved for fermions with half-integer spin. This can result in a change in the overall energy of the system, as well as affect the behavior of other particles in the well.

4. Is the spin assumption for fermions in a potential well always accurate?

The spin assumption is a simplified model that is used to describe the behavior of fermions in a potential well. While it is accurate in many cases, it does not account for all possible scenarios and may not accurately predict the behavior of subatomic particles in certain situations.

5. How does the spin assumption for fermions in a potential well relate to quantum mechanics?

The spin assumption is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, which is the branch of physics that describes the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It is used to explain the discrete energy levels of particles in a potential well and is an important principle in understanding the behavior of matter at the quantum level.