Spin expectation value of singlet state from two axes

In summary: It is just because I can not do anyone's homework in this section.I have already gotten infraction for this.But you saw it,so cheers!
bencmier

Homework Statement

W0xJo.jpg

Homework Equations

955051058cb93d9219b5d784953f155a.png

c8ef092164e2dae009fe706c21e24672.png

51f1b89d374b15ab20a813d1ed3cc690.png

ba83b5f185b2ad5ddd006c74328b6034.png

7154c9d3b5d2aa4193e3a6c9e85aff80.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just trying to figure out how to start the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by writing S1 and S2 in terms of the pauli matrices.

Sourabh N said:
Start by writing S1 and S2 in terms of the pauli matrices.

Would S1=Sz and S2 have cos(θ) instead of 1's in the matrix?

Yes, but you need to be careful about the sign, whether it is cos(θ) or -cos(θ), since the question says -"makes an angle θ down with the z axis".

Sourabh N said:
Yes, but you need to be careful about the sign, whether it is cos(θ) or -cos(θ), since the question says -"makes an angle θ down with the z axis".

Ok, but what does the question mean by picking a single basis to work in? I just don't know what the question is saying.

Last edited:
I believe they are trying to tell you to have both S_1 and S_2 in the same basis, i.e, either choose S_1 to lie along z-axis and S_2 to lie theta away from it, or choose S_2 to lie along z-axis and S_1 to lie -theta away from it.

Since they already chose the first of these options, the hint is redundant (as the author say so themselves!).

may be it will be clear if I show some solution,
Using the notation of question and I use + for up and - for down,

<00|S1S2|00>=-h-/2.h-/2 cosθ.(1/2)(<+-|+->+<-+|-+>),other two terms in brackets which you get are zero because of orthogonality condition.(The extra minus sign in front is just because cos(1800-θ)=-cosθ) and you will get this
=-h-2/4.cosθ(because <+-|+->=1 and similarly for other)
edit:I hope this post will not be deleted like some of my previous ones.

andrien said:
may be it will be clear if I show some solution,
Using the notation of question and I use + for up and - for down,

<00|S1S2|00>=-h-/2.h-/2 cosθ.(1/2)(<+-|+->+<-+|-+>),other two terms in brackets which you get are zero because of orthogonality condition.(The extra minus sign in front is just because cos(1800-θ)=-cosθ) and you will get this
=-h-2/4.cosθ(because <+-|+->=1 and similarly for other)
edit:I hope this post will not be deleted like some of my previous ones.

Thank you andrien, your answer was clear and to the point. I don't know why your other posts would have been deleted but this one won't be.

bencmier said:
Thank you andrien, your answer was clear and to the point. I don't know why your other posts would have been deleted but this one won't be.

it is just because I can not do anyone's homework in this section.I have already gotten infraction for this.But you saw it,so cheers!

FAQ: Spin expectation value of singlet state from two axes

What is the spin expectation value of a singlet state?

The spin expectation value of a singlet state refers to the average value of the spin for a system in a singlet state, which is a quantum state with a total spin of zero.

How is the spin expectation value of a singlet state calculated?

The spin expectation value is calculated using the Pauli spin matrices, which represent the spin operators for particles with spin 1/2. The calculation involves taking the inner product of the singlet state with each of the spin operators.

What does the spin expectation value tell us about the system?

The spin expectation value provides information about the orientation of the spin in the system. A singlet state with a spin expectation value of zero indicates that the spin is equally likely to be measured along any direction.

How does the spin expectation value of a singlet state change with different axes of measurement?

The spin expectation value of a singlet state is dependent on the axes of measurement. For example, if the axes are along the x, y, and z directions, the spin expectation value will be different for each direction.

Why is the spin expectation value of a singlet state important in quantum mechanics?

The spin expectation value is important because it is a fundamental property of quantum systems and is used to calculate other observable quantities. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of entangled particles in quantum mechanics.